Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > Retro & Arcade

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 7th October 2011, 3:21 PM   #121
Cannula

I was going to setup a menu in config.sys and set the options for the different settings for the different soundcard combinations I want to use.
I'll have to wait until the RAP-10 arrives to see how well it works or if it works at all.
Some games won't like it I feel and I might just do three partitions if that is the case. Lol!
OCAU Diablo 3:Reaper Of Souls - Cannula#6861
| 486 | Pentium MMX 233 | Pentium Pro 200 | K6-2+ 550 | Celeron 300A | Pentium III 850 | Pentium III-S 1.4 | Dual Pentium III-S 1.4 | Pentium M 730 |
Hoarding; not a sickness, a way of life.

Last edited by Cannula; 7th October 2011 at 3:23 PM.
Cannula is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 8th October 2011, 7:05 PM   #122
xsive

Picked these up at GameTraders today. I was happy about the Action Replay 2; I can finally play some Japanese games on my MD. I could't bear to mod it to make them fit

Click to view full-sized image!
Hosted by UGBox Image Store
xsive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2011, 10:02 AM   #123
Zenskas

Recently bidded on a heap of games from a UK seller, but damn, didn't know the conversion rate was so bad! And postage was AU$55 on its own! So ended up being not such a great deal but oh well.

All up a bit over $100inc post for these, all with manuals and in mint condition and some are bix box versions where stated:

-MICROSOFT CINENAMIA '95
-TOMB RAIDER - UNFINISHED BUSINESS BIG BOX
-DUNGEON KEEPER BIG BOX VERSION
-SPACE INVADERS FOR PC x2
-TOMB RAIDER 2
-GRAND THEFT AUTO 3 BIG BOX
-DIE HARD - NAKATOMI PLAZA
-TOM CLANCY'S SPLINTER CELL BIG BOX
-THE ITALIAN JOB
-GRAND THEFT AUTO - VICE CITY BIG BOX
-JAMES BOND 007 - NIGHTFIRE
-TITANIC - AN INTERACTIVE JOURNEY BIG BOX
-DRIVER BIG BOX
-MICROSOFT ENCARTA '95
-RIVEN - SEQUEL TO MYST BIG BOX

Sorry for caps, was copy/paste job.

And got a mint still sealed copy of Windows 95 retail big box version for $1 just yesterday as well
STFU: i7-2600S @ 4.2GHz | ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z/GEN3 | 16GB G.Skill RipjawsX @ 1600MHz | EVGA GTX TITAN SC | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB | SilverStone HE02 | Corsair AX860 | SilverStone TJ08-EW | BenQ XL2720Z | Audio-Technica ATH-ADG1 | IBM KB-9930 | Logitech G400s | XTracGear Ripper XXL
Zenskas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2011, 1:52 PM   #124
supernaut

I just received a bulk lot of mega drive games from eBay. I got DJ Boy, King of the Monsters, Sonic 1, Sonic 2, Fatal Labyrinth, X-Men and Jurassic Park. All of them in boxes apart from Sonic 1. Also Fatal Labyrinth and Sonic 2 had manuals. Also came with a controller for about $20 including postage. So I was pretty happy with that, but imagine my surprise when I see these in there:

I have a PAL system so even if I modded it I have no idea if they would work. But I'm pretty excited to have a couple of Japanese games in my collection.

I already have Jurassic Park on a mega-drive cart, but looks like I might be getting an action replay like you xsive

Last edited by supernaut; 11th October 2011 at 1:58 PM.
supernaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2011, 2:42 PM   #125
xsive

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernaut View Post
I have a PAL system so even if I modded it I have no idea if they would work. But I'm pretty excited to have a couple of Japanese games in my collection.

I already have Jurassic Park on a mega-drive cart, but looks like I might be getting an action replay like you xsive
They should work if you can make them fit. I opened my Japanese copy of Shinobi 3 and it worked fine. Speaking of converters: you may be interested in the Mega Key in the For Sale forums at the moment though. It's going for a song -- along with a bunch of pretty good games.

<ducks in case hellsong decides to throw things at him>

Last edited by xsive; 11th October 2011 at 2:44 PM.
Old 11th October 2011, 3:23 PM   #126
supernaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsive View Post
They should work if you can make them fit. I opened my Japanese copy of Shinobi 3 and it worked fine. Speaking of converters: you may be interested in the Mega Key in the For Sale forums at the moment though. It's going for a song -- along with a bunch of pretty good games.

<ducks in case hellsong decides to throw things at him>
Thanks I'll look into that one. Although the link doesn't work for me

Do I need to have a certain post count before I can access it?
Old 11th October 2011, 3:49 PM   #127
Draxx

You need to be a member of these forums for 90 days to get access there.
Draxx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2011, 7:05 PM   #128
supernaut

Oh fair enough. I'll track it down somewhere else. I actually opened up the console today and took the top off to fit the games in. Jurassic park goes to the screen that says "Produced by or under license from Sega Enterprises Ltd" then goes to blank screen and does nothing. I'm assuming I will need the converter for that, but no big deal, I have the PAL version anyway. X-Men works fine. One thing that I am curious about though. Jurassic Park is in a case that has Genesis written on it, and the cart itself also has Genesis written on it. I always thought the system was called Mega Drive in Japan. And X-Men mentions Sega of America in the title screen and the back of the box says its designed for American NTSC consoles. Is it possible these cartridges are actually american? I always thought that design meant it was a Japanese cart.
Old 13th October 2011, 9:40 AM   #129
xsive

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernaut View Post
Oh fair enough. I'll track it down somewhere else. I actually opened up the console today and took the top off to fit the games in. Jurassic park goes to the screen that says "Produced by or under license from Sega Enterprises Ltd" then goes to blank screen and does nothing. I'm assuming I will need the converter for that, but no big deal, I have the PAL version anyway. X-Men works fine. One thing that I am curious about though. Jurassic Park is in a case that has Genesis written on it, and the cart itself also has Genesis written on it. I always thought the system was called Mega Drive in Japan. And X-Men mentions Sega of America in the title screen and the back of the box says its designed for American NTSC consoles. Is it possible these cartridges are actually american? I always thought that design meant it was a Japanese cart.
Probably just the publisher being cheap and printing only one set of stickers. Or perhaps your cart has been riced up with an aftermarket label
Old 13th October 2011, 7:40 PM   #130
frizzl

Got my Majora's Mask collectors and Ocarina of Time collector's in NTSC this week

MM has the holographic cartridge, and OoT has a metallic/shiny box, pretty cool

There's a bit of scuff on the tabs, but I think I'm satisfied with them!
Old 13th October 2011, 11:02 PM   #131
supernaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by frizzl View Post
Got my Majora's Mask collectors and Ocarina of Time collector's in NTSC this week

MM has the holographic cartridge, and OoT has a metallic/shiny box, pretty cool

There's a bit of scuff on the tabs, but I think I'm satisfied with them!
I'd certainly be satisfied. Nice find.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsive View Post
Probably just the publisher being cheap and printing only one set of stickers. Or perhaps your cart has been riced up with an aftermarket label
I've actually done a quick bit of research on em. They're pirate carts. Would explain the shitty quality print on the pictures and the fact that Jurassic Park doesn't work at all haha.
Old 24th October 2011, 6:34 PM   #132
callan

Woohoo!
My ZoomFloppy interface arrived today.

This little wonder is effectively a USB<>Commodore serial buss adapter.
It took about 5 minutes to hook up, and get working - and works a treat.

Quite fast, too - and has parallel port support (for 8bit parallel transfers to-from the 1541). I happen to have that wired in (that's the blue-grey cable with the central red stripe) - so will try that later

So my C64X now has a 1541 plugged in.

On other news, a very kind OCAU user has given me a couple of power supplies for my old Commodore, and once I solder together an RF cable, I'll have my original Commodore 64 up and running.

Fun times for an old fart!!!

Ooroo
Callan

edit: yes, that 1541 is heavily modified - it has a switchable "rom" with "dolfin-dos" installed (parallel data transfers, 40 track formatting, better error handling & enhanced commands for things like formatting and the like) - and also a 4 LED display I designed that displays the tracking of the r/w head, so I could see when copy protection schemes were doing things like 1/2 track formats, or spiral tracks. Signs of a misspent youth.

Last edited by callan; 24th October 2011 at 10:16 PM.
callan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2011, 10:11 AM   #133
DonutKing

I picked up a couple of goodies today:

First one is an Aztech Sound Galaxy NX Pro

Sound Blaster Pro clone, with a real Yamaha YMF262 chip. It also includes a SCSI CDROM controller.
Of most interest though is the Disney Sound Source/Covox Speech Thing compatibility.
This card works with Disney Sound Source in Wolf3d and also a couple of Sierra quest games I tried.
In DSS/CST mode it basically just sounds like a Sound Blaster but with a high pass filter (sounds a bit 'tinnier').

I couldn't get DSS/CST to work with Return to Zork though

sound quality is very good, cleaner output than an SB16 Vibra.
It would be great if it had a wavetable daughterboard connector but I guess you can't win them all.

The card works fine with just the BLASTER environment variable set, but here is a link to the driver package which includes a few utils like a mixer, IRQ/DMA config and some TSR's which I'm not sure what their purpose is.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9151127/SGNXPRO.zip

I also picked up a ReelMagic CD:

It's an MPEG decoder card. One of the very first such card available for PC's, made in the mid 90's

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RealMagic

Unfortunately I have no drivers for it and no games that support it so its pretty much just a paperweight at the moment....

I'm really keen to track down the version of Return to Zork that was re-written specifically for this card with MPEG videos.... seems rare as rocking horse poop.
DonutKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2011, 4:29 PM   #134
dirkmirk

Do you have the vga passthrough cable for that reelmagic card? Can you get drivers for it? I'm thinking about buying one but If I can't the drivers or vga cable their's no point.
dirkmirk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2011, 9:15 AM   #135
DonutKing

nope lol.

It was only like 10 bucks and I bought the sound card from the same bloke so shipping wasn't any extra. figured it couldn't hurt.

Drivers seem to be non existent. The card itself has what appears to be a standard VGA port on the back and a 3.5mm stereo jack. At first I suspected it might be an integrated video card + mpeg decoder but the system won't boot without another video card installed.

I wonder if it uses the VESA feature connector instead of an external passthrough cable? That would be pretty easy to rig up. Of course without software or drivers I still wouldn't be able to do much with it
DonutKing is offline   Reply With Quote