Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Manufacturer-specific Forums > Other CPUs and chipsets

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 7th July 2016, 8:03 PM   #1966
grrrr

In other news. I just got a raspberry pi 3

I normally play media content that i have 'backed up' onto a hdd and plugged into a sony bluray player. Recently I have had a couple of movies that the sony blueray player was locking up on (something to do with subtitles).

So I thought I would give Kodi / openelec a crack for something to do.

It is actually pretty good hey. I was quite impressed (once i waited long enough for it to find the samba shares.

I plan to get a 4k tv next year and (ATM) feel confident in using a SBC as the HTPC.

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 7th July 2016, 8:25 PM   #1967
Rezin

Most likely has been mentioned already, but BerryBoot. Boot between several distros + from USB HDD.
Rezin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2016, 8:57 PM   #1968
damnation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rezin View Post
Most likely has been mentioned already, but BerryBoot. Boot between several distros + from USB HDD.
That sounds Great!
Old 7th July 2016, 10:41 PM   #1969
idiot_child

Quote:
Originally Posted by grrrr View Post
sadly the lego would cost more than a $5 ebay case.

Alternatively - get someone in the 3d printer thread to print you something like this.
You're right, if I had Lego lying around this might be an option.

Hans Solo is a cool idea. Again, all the cool stuff is for a Pi 2 But I'll have a hunt for a Pi 1 case model
idiot_child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2016, 10:56 PM   #1970
grrrr

Dont sweat it. There are multiple han solo carbonite models on thingiverse. Just need someone with basic skills to get a pi1 case and 3d model cut and paste han on the front.
Old 22nd July 2016, 1:17 AM   #1971
Statitica

Does anyone have experience with setting RPi's up as wifi hotspots?

I am currently working on a project where I have installed ubuntu MATE, lamp-server^, wordpress, dnsmasq, and hostapd on a shiny new Rpi3, with the intent of using it as a prototype/proof of concept for bigger and better projects. Hey, I might even relearn how to code for web again.

The issue I am having is that when I set up hostapd, it doesn't seem to like the idea of communicating with the USB antenna I purchased.

The wifi menu says that "Ralink" (the usb antenna) is not managed, so it shows no details. ifconfig shows no IP for that interface, even though it is set as static. Other devices (or even the inbuilt wifi on the RPi) can see the open network I have created, but they are not being assigned IP addresses.

Anyone come across this, or know where I should start digging?
Old 22nd July 2016, 10:17 AM   #1972
Apokalipse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statitica View Post
Does anyone have experience with setting RPi's up as wifi hotspots?

I am currently working on a project where I have installed ubuntu MATE, lamp-server^, wordpress, dnsmasq, and hostapd on a shiny new Rpi3, with the intent of using it as a prototype/proof of concept for bigger and better projects. Hey, I might even relearn how to code for web again.

The issue I am having is that when I set up hostapd, it doesn't seem to like the idea of communicating with the USB antenna I purchased.

The wifi menu says that "Ralink" (the usb antenna) is not managed, so it shows no details. ifconfig shows no IP for that interface, even though it is set as static. Other devices (or even the inbuilt wifi on the RPi) can see the open network I have created, but they are not being assigned IP addresses.

Anyone come across this, or know where I should start digging?
What are you using for your DHCP server? dnsmasq?
What happens if you set a static IP on a device you connect?
Old 22nd July 2016, 12:02 PM   #1973
Statitica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apokalipse View Post
What are you using for your DHCP server? dnsmasq?
What happens if you set a static IP on a device you connect?
Dnsmasq is the DHCP server as well as the DNS server.
Not sure, but given that ifconfig returns nothing for that interface, I don't think it will do much at all.
Old 22nd July 2016, 12:10 PM   #1974
Apokalipse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statitica View Post
Dnsmasq is the DHCP server as well as the DNS server.
Not sure, but given that ifconfig returns nothing for that interface, I don't think it will do much at all.
dnsmasq is only going to serve DHCP on an interface that has an IP in the subnet it's serving.
The interface has no IP, therefore dnsmasq can't serve any requests. The DHCP server's response has to have a source IP.

Last edited by Apokalipse; 22nd July 2016 at 12:12 PM.
Apokalipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2016, 4:29 PM   #1975
Statitica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apokalipse View Post
dnsmasq is only going to serve DHCP on an interface that has an IP in the subnet it's serving.
The interface has no IP, therefore dnsmasq can't serve any requests. The DHCP server's response has to have a source IP.
Yeah, the problem seems to be that it doesn't want to assign a static IP to the external interface. I'll probably have another crack at it tonight, or tomorrow, and see what I can figure out.

EDIT: I think that this is probably more of an OS configuration issue than an RPi issue. Perhaps I'd be best off asking over in the other section.
Old 24th July 2016, 6:44 AM   #1976
idiot_child

I based my setup on this:
https://learn.adafruit.com/setting-u...point/overview

Last edited by idiot_child; 24th July 2016 at 4:17 PM.
Old 25th July 2016, 12:19 PM   #1977
Statitica

Quote:
Originally Posted by idiot_child View Post
I had a quick look, and noticed some differences between these, and the guide I used. I'll have to go through and recheck a few things.

Thanks.
Old 25th July 2016, 7:39 PM   #1978
idiot_child

Best of luck. I'm amazed at how powerful those tiny USB WiFi adapters are! My Pi gives me better WiFi coverage than my old modem/router (admittedly WiFi on that thing seemed to be dying).
Old 26th July 2016, 1:55 AM   #1979
Statitica

It's working. Half the time.

Seems that dnsmasq doesn't always start on startup, which is a bit of a problem seeing as hostapd is running just fine. As I want to run it headless, this is a bit of an issue - I don't want to have to log into it to type
Quote:
sudo service dnsmasq restart
every time I relocate the box.

I used the command
Quote:
sudo update-rc.d dnsmasq defaults
to run it on startup, but it doesn't always play ball.

The log records no data for the times it doesn't load, i.e. it doesn't seem to be failing during initialisation, but just isn't being inititalised.

EDIT: as this is more of an OS thing than an RPi thing, I am also posting my query over in "Other OS'.

Last edited by Statitica; 26th July 2016 at 1:59 AM.
Statitica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2016, 2:21 AM   #1980
Statitica

It was a dnsmasq bug.

Fixed by editing /lib/systemd/system/dnsmasq.service, and under the [UNIT] section, adding:
Quote:
After=network-online.target
Wants=network-online.target
Seems to be operational now.