Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Manufacturer-specific Forums > Other CPUs and chipsets

Notices

Old 9th December 2016, 9:23 PM   #2071
philscomputerlab

That's faster than expected, hopefully I get mine soon

I take you will be using Python? I had a look at some code, and it seems quite a bit different compared to the Raspberry Pi. I think it uses different libraries, but that was me just looking at it briefly.

I also saw the Windows 10 + ARM announcement.

Last edited by philscomputerlab; 9th December 2016 at 9:42 PM.
philscomputerlab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2016, 10:34 PM   #2072
MUTMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis View Post
... Don't get me wrong, I *love* Raspberry Pi for a bunch of reasons, and I'll never stop buying them...
I was only kidding
I'm a bit of fan of the Pi for two reasons
first is for my own stuffing about and education/learning
second is for the opportunities they provide in places where a PC isn't practical
i get why you'd want to try others that orange zero looks pretty darn cool
MUTMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2016, 3:34 PM   #2073
elvis
Old school old fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by philscomputerlab View Post
I take you will be using Python?
Not for the stuff I'm doing, no. It can all be down at the BASH level quite trivially.

I know Python is the darling language of the Internet (our business uses it heavily too), but I choose the right tool for the job. For interacting with shell stuff, a shell scripting language works. I proved this just the other day to a guy at work who wrote a lot of complex python to find and delete particular files, which I replaced with a "find" one-liner that ran in a fraction of the time.

We live in a generation who want to constantly re-invent the wheel. With half a century of coding behind us, re-use is the fastest way to get things done, rather than re-writing code every time.

Last edited by elvis; 10th December 2016 at 3:37 PM.
elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2016, 4:03 PM   #2074
philscomputerlab

Quote:
Not for the stuff I'm doing, no. It can all be down at the BASH level quite trivially.
Ah, too easy Didn't know you can access GPIO that way!
philscomputerlab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2016, 4:58 PM   #2075
PabloEscobar

I'm onboard the Pi-Train

Grabbed 3 3's when Zapals had them on Sale.
Picked up an Arduino starter Kit from Altronics (VERY impressed with the delivery speed).

Got a few ideas in mind, including Xmas lights next year.

The First one now sites in the shed, leeching house wifi, and paired via bluetooth with my Solar Inverter, pushing data up to PVOutput.

The Rolla-Door is proving to be an insurmountable barrier to wireless communictations thus far, It appears I will need to move my access point.
PabloEscobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2016, 5:26 PM   #2076
elvis
Old school old fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by PabloEscobar View Post
The Rolla-Door is proving to be an insurmountable barrier to wireless communictations thus far, It appears I will need to move my access point.
Or just your antenna.
Old 10th December 2016, 5:36 PM   #2077
elvis
Old school old fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by philscomputerlab View Post
Ah, too easy Didn't know you can access GPIO that way!
I won't need to access the GPIO pins for my project. The 13 extra output pins on the Orange Pi Zero are just headers for things like TV out and whatnot.
Old 11th December 2016, 7:50 PM   #2078
PabloEscobar

Quote:
Or just your antenna.
I think the issue is on the pi side of things, as other devices in the shed can send/recieve data with the door closed. Its got a tiny little ceramic antenna, and my surface mount soldering skills are currently non-existant, so I can't adjust it. I've got a few USB ones kicking around that I'll if I can't find a spot where I can overlap the Bluetooth signal from the Solar Inverter, and the Wifi signal from the House.

But between the Pi's and the Arduino, I've had a throughouly enjoyable weekend.
Old 11th December 2016, 8:12 PM   #2079
elvis
Old school old fool

Quote:
But between the Pi's and the Arduino, I've had a throughouly enjoyable weekend.
As a lover of non-x86 hardware and old PCs (as in, before Wintel was even a thing), RPi has brought so much joy back into my life, and reminded me why I fell in love with this hobby/industry to begin with.
Old 12th December 2016, 6:36 AM   #2080
MUTMAN

Quote:
I think the issue is on the pi side of things, ....
I've ound the Pi3 wifi is below par for range and for throughput. A usb nano dongle is much faster if you require speed and can be put on the of a usb extension cable to move it around to a better spot.
I haven't tried the bluetooth so not sure if its average or otherwise.

Still, i prefer the extra cpu power of the pi3
Old 12th December 2016, 8:05 AM   #2081
GumbyNoTalent

Just arrived last week a couple of NanoPi NEO's, with 512MB, heatsinks and 1 case and the brown box has the 8 pi cluster rack, only 6 more to buy.

http://www.friendlyarm.com/index.php...product_id=132
GumbyNoTalent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2016, 12:10 PM   #2082
MonoJoker

Hoping someone can help, I've got a spare 2 Pi B+s which I want to use in a bartop arcade but having problems getting either to boot up. I mean it should be simple enough, img the build onto the SD, boot and away you go. I'm getting the correct RetroPie build for my device, imaging successfully using Win32ImageWriter, etc. On boot I get one red light for PWR but no image onscreen or progress from there - no green SD activity light. The devices were working fine when I "retired" one as my Kodi box a few months back (the other I used for RetroPi before I realised I could just swap SDs in one) and replaced it with a Pi2.

What else can I check? I tried 2 of these older Pis in my bartop with the same result, 2 different SD cards, etc. It must be something simple as in the past they've always just worked
MonoJoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2016, 12:10 PM   #2083
PabloEscobar

Quote:
As a lover of non-x86 hardware and old PCs (as in, before Wintel was even a thing), RPi has brought so much joy back into my life, and reminded me why I fell in love with this hobby/industry to begin with.
The hardware architecture doesn't make me hard, I'm mostly indifferent to it, but the tinkering and electronics hookups to GPIO give me a semi. It makes me remember back to a happier time, when overclocking was more than just a slider in a program, or a setting in a bios.

Something a simple as turning off an LED had me grinning like a maniac.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTMAN View Post
I've ound the Pi3 wifi is below par for range and for throughput. A usb nano dongle is much faster if you require speed and can be put on the of a usb extension cable to move it around to a better spot.
I haven't tried the bluetooth so not sure if its average or otherwise.

Still, i prefer the extra cpu power of the pi3
I've not used older PI's so can't comment on the comparative speed. But I agree, The Bluetooth is in the same state as the Wifi... works OK in best case scenarios, but seems quiet poor around the edges of the network.

Where the Pi is, my phone can get both Wifi and Bluetooth, The Pi can only get Bluetooth. If I move the pi so it can get Wifi, It can't see the Bluetooth anymore (my phone can though).
Old 12th December 2016, 12:33 PM   #2084
MUTMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonoJoker View Post
Hoping someone can help, I've got a spare 2 Pi B+s which I want to use in a bartop arcade but having problems getting either to boot up. I mean it should be simple enough, img the build onto the SD, boot and away you go. I'm getting the correct RetroPie build for my device, imaging successfully using Win32ImageWriter, etc. On boot I get one red light for PWR but no image onscreen or progress from there - no green SD activity light. The devices were working fine when I "retired" one as my Kodi box a few months back (the other I used for RetroPi before I realised I could just swap SDs in one) and replaced it with a Pi2.

What else can I check? I tried 2 of these older Pis in my bartop with the same result, 2 different SD cards, etc. It must be something simple as in the past they've always just worked

PSU?
You said you tried a new sd card, can you read them back in win32imager ?
Tried a different image to test the setup ? Like a noobs or something
Use sdcard formater to wip them and select the option for the whole card remove partition or whatever it is
Old 12th December 2016, 12:41 PM   #2085
Ogre

For the guys that have turned a RPi into gaming console, have you had any issues with temperature?

I am thinking about getting the FLIRC case (LINK)

Just want to know if that will be ok or if I need a case with a fan.
Rig: i7 920 | eVGA X58 SLI LE | 6GB Corsair | Saphire R9 380X | Samsung 2350 | SB Titanium HD | G15 | Corsair 800D | Intel 80GB SSD| Samsung 512GB 950 Pro | BD MMX 300 | Corsair H80i GT | Corsair HX750 | Win7 Ult
Steam/Origin ID: Sublym3
Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote