Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Manufacturer-specific Forums > Other CPUs and chipsets

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 12th December 2016, 1:43 PM   #2086
MonoJoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTMAN View Post
PSU?
You said you tried a new sd card, can you read them back in win32imager ?
Tried a different image to test the setup ? Like a noobs or something
Use sdcard formater to wip them and select the option for the whole card remove partition or whatever it is
Sorry should have mentioned I swapped the power supply between my working Kodi Pi2 and the other Pis and the Pi2 works fine so the PSU is correct - in fact they're Rasp Pi branded ones.

I'll try your last 2 suggestions tonight, thanks.
MonoJoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 12th December 2016, 1:54 PM   #2087
pantner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonoJoker View Post
Hoping someone can help, I've got a spare 2 Pi B+s which I want to use in a bartop arcade but having problems getting either to boot up. I mean it should be simple enough, img the build onto the SD, boot and away you go. I'm getting the correct RetroPie build for my device, imaging successfully using Win32ImageWriter, etc. On boot I get one red light for PWR but no image onscreen or progress from there - no green SD activity light. The devices were working fine when I "retired" one as my Kodi box a few months back (the other I used for RetroPi before I realised I could just swap SDs in one) and replaced it with a Pi2.

What else can I check? I tried 2 of these older Pis in my bartop with the same result, 2 different SD cards, etc. It must be something simple as in the past they've always just worked
Is the power supply up to scratch?
Intel i7 860, Gigabyte PA55-UD5, 2x4GB DDR3, 300GB Velociraptor, 2x2TB Seagate SATA in RAID 0, NVIDIA GTX580, Pioneer DVD burner, Silverstone OP850W, ASUS 23" LCD, Acer 23" LCD, Microsoft X6, Microsoft Intellimouse, Noctua NH-D14
pantner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2016, 1:55 PM   #2088
elvis
Old school old fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogre View Post
For the guys that have turned a RPi into gaming console, have you had any issues with temperature?

I am thinking about getting the FLIRC case (LINK)

Just want to know if that will be ok or if I need a case with a fan.
Depends on model and if you're overclocking.

I've not heard of anyone on a Pi2 B+ or Pi3 at stock speeds needing a heatsink, let alone a fan, regardless of what they do with the unit.

I have a multitude of Pis as gaming units, TV media players and inside enclosed arcade machines running emulators, all at stock, and none of them with any extra cooling whatsoever. They've been running fine for years that way.
Old 12th December 2016, 1:59 PM   #2089
Ogre

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis View Post

I've not heard of anyone on a Pi2 B+ or Pi3 at stock speeds needing a heatsink, let alone a fan, regardless of what they do with the unit.

I have a multitude of Pis as gaming units, TV media players and inside enclosed arcade machines running emulators, all at stock, and none of them with any extra cooling whatsoever. They've been running fine for years that way.
Cheers, it will be a Pi3, I don't plan on overclocking, from what I can tell I don't need to overclock to run the old school games
Rig: i7 920 | eVGA X58 SLI LE | 6GB Corsair | Saphire R9 380X | Samsung 2350 | SB Titanium HD | G15 | Corsair 800D | Intel 80GB SSD| Samsung 512GB 950 Pro | BD MMX 300 | Corsair H80i GT | Corsair HX750 | Win7 Ult
Steam/Origin ID: Sublym3
Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2016, 2:29 PM   #2090
MUTMAN

Quote:

I've not heard of anyone on a Pi2 B+ or Pi3 at stock speeds needing a heatsink, let alone a fan, regardless of what they do with the unit...
my pi3 definately needs a heatsink when working hard. i was getting a orange/red square (like the rainbow one for power) when running 24/7 in a browser based game. i can't leave the lid on the official case even with the heatsink....

my non-contact thermal temp gun agrees with the sizzling noises of my in contact finger when i check
MUTMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2016, 3:36 PM   #2091
elvis
Old school old fool

Quote:
my non-contact thermal temp gun agrees with the sizzling noises of my in contact finger when i check
What temps are you getting from the gun, and are you overclocking?
Old 12th December 2016, 3:42 PM   #2092
MUTMAN

stock clocks on cpu and gpu
gun temps were ages ago...iirc around 78C

If i get a chance I'll fire up thatgame again and see what it gets up to
Old 14th December 2016, 6:15 PM   #2093
philscomputerlab

Got mine today

Still waiting on the Orange Pi PC.
philscomputerlab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2016, 7:46 PM   #2094
MUTMAN

Quote:
What temps are you getting from the gun, and are you overclocking?
Quote:
stock clocks on cpu and gpu
gun temps were ages ago...iirc around 78C

If i get a chance I'll fire up thatgame again and see what it gets up to

Click to view full size!

thats a stress test built into dietPi, i just happened to have it handy. sadly its performance in the web game was pathetic.
it was hitting the thermal throttle as can be seen from the 74, 75, 74, 75 etc. which is the set point in that distro as far as i can tell. it does have an option to wind it up and overclock/overvolt

Click to view full size!

the 67.5 is 'in game', but i dont think its a very good distro to test under ...

anyway, that little blue ram sink has been the difference between massive throttling and not, so it works for me as long as i leave an air-gap between case and lid. otherwise it still gets toasty and starts to throttle

hopefully Pi4 brings a die-shrink and some heat reduction/headroom (for overclocking of course )
Old 19th December 2016, 7:58 PM   #2095
philscomputerlab

It's a bit quiet here

Slowly making progress with my Pi 3! I must say, the documentation on raspberrypi.org is excellent. I'm only using Raspbian at the moment to learn my around the system.

I like that it does have nice GUI programs to change some aspects of the system, for example it had HDMI underscan enabled, so that was an easy fix. It also has a convenient program to install software, but I quickly found that apt-get install is easier to use.

I noticed right away that the black levels of the picture on my TV were off, a sure sign that it outputs in the limited RGB colour space. Editing config.txt also resolved this and gave a peak into what else you can configure.

I've also updated all the software, also very straight forward, although it takes a while.

But one project I wanted to work on kept me busy today. I wanted to use the Raspberry Pi as a General MIDI module, substituting a Roland Sound Canvas SC-55 or Yamaha MU80 for DOS Retro PCs playing Doom for example.

The USB MIDI interface was detected right away. At first I tried GUI tools, but has some weird audio issue, massive distortion, something fundamentally was off.

So I restarted with a fresh image and got my head around the CL tools. Created a FluidSynth server and then used aconnect to route the MIDI coming in from the USB MIDI adapter to FluidSynth. And it worked! Couldn't believe that you can get this going with a few commands...

I've connected another machine that plays Doom 1 and 2 MIDI files and it sounds great. And you can use other SoundFonts of course!

Next steps is checking out the GUI versions again, mostly for doing a guide / documentation, not everyone is into CL.

And then having a go with Raspbian Lite and writing maybe some start-up scripts. But I want to document it all, so that others can run with it and hopefully make a hardware project out of it.

I've got this idea of a little MIDI box with a LCD display and a few buttons that lets you change SoundFont files, reset the Synth and things like that...

philscomputerlab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2016, 8:51 PM   #2096
MUTMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by philscomputerlab View Post
... I must say, the documentation on raspberrypi.org is excellent. ...

The forums there are a wealth of very clever peeps
Just for giggles, take a Jessie Lite and add the full blown GUI
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/v...51830#p1051830

nice insight to what makes a modern desktop and a windowed gui
i had a gui but no desktop environment for a while. just a terminal and apps running in a gui. bit of a head twister
Old 20th December 2016, 8:43 AM   #2097
elvis
Old school old fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by philscomputerlab View Post
I must say, the documentation on raspberrypi.org is excellent.
As much as I *love* the Raspberry Pi, what you're using from a software point of view is 5% Raspberry Pi, and 95% 20 years of Debian Linux (the same foundation under Ubuntu).

Don't forget that these are just building blocks, which is why open source is so awesome. "On the shoulders of giants", as the famous quote goes. Kudos to all previous Debian and other open source devs who got us to this point.

But with that said, ain't the Pi a great way to introduce people to Linux, who would have otherwise never discovered it's power? For that, I love this little bit of hardware, and the amazing people behind it.
Old 20th December 2016, 9:30 AM   #2098
PabloEscobar

Quote:
As much as I *love* the Raspberry Pi, what you're using from a software point of view is 5% Raspberry Pi, and 95% 20 years of Debian Linux (the same foundation under Ubuntu).
The software may be 95% Debian Linux, but the documentation difference between

https://www.raspberrypi.org/learning...re-guide/wifi/

and

https://linux.die.net/man/8/wpa_supplicant

And how the communities react to "noob" questions is worlds apart.
PabloEscobar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2016, 9:36 AM   #2099
cvidler

Quote:
Originally Posted by PabloEscobar View Post

and

Yeah the second one is much better, it'll work whether you have a GUI installed or not.
cvidler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2016, 9:43 AM   #2100
GumbyNoTalent

Quote:
Originally Posted by PabloEscobar View Post

and

So you show an article about a GUI written specifically for GUI people vs a site that provides a webpage fore all man pages! Firstly compare apple with apples. BUT I will concede that some people on the internet are hostile to noobs regardless of the operating system, especially in Linuxland when the person asking the question starts with "in Windows it is so easy". Instead of asking a question they make a statement that is incorrect, it should read "in windows I'm used to doing this, what is the Linux equivalent?".

Documentation varies between projects, after you have mastered the basics of the command line I would suggest looking at https://wiki.archlinux.org/ and adopting the information to your distro, as it is a great community.

Also;
https://www.cyberciti.biz/
http://www.howtogeek.com/t/linux/
https://linuxacademy.com/linux/courses

Last edited by GumbyNoTalent; 20th December 2016 at 9:47 AM.
GumbyNoTalent is offline   Reply With Quote