Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Manufacturer-specific Forums > Other CPUs and chipsets

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 29th June 2012, 2:35 PM   #616
xEnt

uh i must be mistaken, i thought the raspberry pi had a dual core 1.2ghz cpu (the same one that's in most mobile phones these days)

that 700mhz cpu doesn't seem that great.

ill be happy when the raspberry PI is at $50 and includes casing, a dual core 1ghz+ cpu + 512mb ram. 1gig would be nice

phones can do it, why cant this?

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 29th June 2012, 2:47 PM   #617
IzzehO

Quote:
Originally Posted by xEnt View Post
uh i must be mistaken, i thought the raspberry pi had a dual core 1.2ghz cpu (the same one that's in most mobile phones these days)

ill be happy when the raspberry PI is at $50 and includes casing, a dual core 1ghz+ cpu + 512mb ram. 1gig would be nice

So.

That last phone you bought.

That was under $50 was it?
IzzehO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2012, 2:55 PM   #618
flain

Not to mention they only made 10,000 raspberry pi's and still were able to keep them at $25. Pretty impressive for a charity.
flain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2012, 4:15 PM   #619
daehenoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by xEnt View Post

Have you read the RaspberryPi web site? And what they are trying to do with the de Obviously, answered my own question there, almost responded to a troll!
daehenoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2012, 7:08 PM   #620
Mako

My rasp arrived today (yay) installed raspmc on a old 4GB SD card i had lying around seems to work well. Menus browsing a little slow compared to HTPC but hell it costs $30. Movies seem to play fine 720p 1080p nice and smooth can't argue with that.
Will pick up another couple of SD cards tomorrow and have a play with a few different images will try openelec for sure.
Finally retire poor old xbox 1 (ver1.0 bloddy fans) in bedroom

hmm now a case...

Last edited by Mako; 29th June 2012 at 7:45 PM.
Mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2012, 11:41 PM   #621
htpcfan

just had my email invite to buy the Pi, so signed up and paid for.. was mid way when I noticed it was from the UK site (obviously I signed up there).. so ended up costing me $49.49 USD including a clear plastic case (specifically designed for the Pi) and postage. Is listed as about an 11 week wait (bit of a pain, but it'll be a nice surprise when it turns up "out of the blue").
htpcfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2012, 4:46 PM   #622
oli

Default Colo

Not sure if this is of interest to anyone here but you can get these colo'd in Austria for free:

https://twitter.com/edisat/status/200925634074132480

oli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2012, 3:24 PM   #623
IKT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako View Post
My rasp arrived today (yay) installed raspmc on a old 4GB SD card i had lying around seems to work well. Menus browsing a little slow compared to HTPC but hell it costs $30. Movies seem to play fine 720p 1080p nice and smooth can't argue with that.
Do you see any glitches at all (while a video is playing)? For some reason mine seems to glitch once ever 5 minutes or so, might reinstall.
IKT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2012, 4:40 PM   #624
dav3

Yeah I'm curious to hear how you manage that..... I (along with most people) seem to get buffering issues with high def stuff
dav3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2012, 9:12 PM   #625
mtma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako View Post
Will pick up another couple of SD cards tomorrow and have a play with a few different images will try openelec for sure.
Finally retire poor old xbox 1 (ver1.0 bloddy fans) in bedroom

hmm now a case...
I've put openelec on my pi so far and it's going really badly. menu nav is going slow and seems to have major beef with HD videos :S I don't think it indexing over the network helps either though.
mtma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2012, 12:09 PM   #626
spg

Other Pi arrived.
The one on the left is from the first batch and the other i just received.

Click to view full-sized image!

Notice the CE and FCC compliance missing on this image.

Click to view full-sized image!
spg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2012, 1:18 PM   #627
nanolimit

Quote:
Originally Posted by dav3 View Post
Yeah I'm curious to hear how you manage that..... I (along with most people) seem to get buffering issues with high def stuff
With the early beta of RaspBMC I had zero issues with buffering, It wasn't until RC2 (maybe RC1?) that I started to get buffering problems
nanolimit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2012, 5:36 PM   #628
Lasmi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtma View Post
I've put openelec on my pi so far and it's going really badly. menu nav is going slow and seems to have major beef with HD videos :S I don't think it indexing over the network helps either though.
Which release? The early ones were quite poor but later ones are usually getting much better. I'm on 457 atm and 1080p 24fps streamed from a samba share does work even with DTS if the bitrate is between 9.2 and 10.8. Identical otherwise and the latter only doesn't stutter in low bitrate sections. Menu navigation is still slow and that they've enabled ALSA sounds only made that worse. I use the android app which is great or web interface which can have problems with a large number of files.

Releases here and update instructions here.
Lasmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2012, 6:02 PM   #629
BluBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanolimit View Post
With the early beta of RaspBMC I had zero issues with buffering, It wasn't until RC2 (maybe RC1?) that I started to get buffering problems
Same here. Was going to try OpenElec.

(Can someone confirm latest builds are ok... It takes FOREVER to resync TV/Movies)
Learn: oVirt and GlusterFS on 3 x Intel i5 NUC with 256Gb SSD, 16GB DDR3L
BluBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2012, 6:12 PM   #630
Lasmi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluBoy View Post
Same here. Was going to try OpenElec.

(Can someone confirm latest builds are ok... It takes FOREVER to resync TV/Movies)
Yep 457 is good for me and you can upgrade or downgrade keeping all your settings and library though it might be worth exporting the db overnight or something in case an upgrade does fail.

I've been looking for other options to download all the information for xbmc and media companion seems ok so far but still not working as I'd like it to.
Lasmi is offline   Reply With Quote