Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > Modding

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 17th August 2011, 12:07 PM   #46
atmo

If a drive was around 35 degrees running on a bench with no additional air flow, it would be about the same in the silencer under the same conditions.
atmo is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 17th August 2011, 1:20 PM   #47
Reaper_1994

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmo View Post
If a drive was around 35 degrees running on a bench with no additional air flow, it would be about the same in the silencer under the same conditions.
ah. not primarily true. I have had HDD's get hotter than that. Max of maybe 40c from memory. My laptop drive runs hotter than that... currently at 43c. I know there is a slight difference in size (obviously) but imo doesn't make much of a difference
Reaper_1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2011, 10:38 PM   #48
BlueRaven Thread Starter

Bumpity. Needs moar ghetto.

Anyone else seen something that they'd like to contribute?

I have installed an additional 120 rad and 9800GTX+ w/ EK block into the BBQ rig, but no pics as yet... will be coming tomorrow.
"There is, you must recall, the kind of serious study that will give you the confidence to strike your match to the mighty wick... which will illuminate yet another portion of the darkness" - Wynton Marsalis, 'Premature Autopsies (Sermon)'
BlueRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2011, 11:05 PM   #49
Huggy_Bear64

I have a 6970 with a thermalright Spitfire and butchered VRM R5 (accidentally broke the heatpipes ) attached. Can has pics in a week or so when I tear the system down to move to smaller case.

The VRM cooler almost works, I just get random black screens after playing games every now and then, and I have to keep my fans up HIGH, and I can't OC...
Old 30th August 2011, 11:06 PM   #50
Reaper_1994

Should ask agg to put it on the front page and a link in some of the other subforums
Reaper_1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2011, 9:14 PM   #51
Humpty

Should have seen my ghetto i7 2600K settup the other week.. ill see if i can dig up some photos
Humpty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2011, 9:29 PM   #52
Humpty

Click to view full size!

I thought it was pretty decent xD
2 psu's to run a 295 and a 2600k xD
Humpty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2011, 9:41 PM   #53
BlueRaven Thread Starter

Lol. Three food stamps:

- 1 for case found at the tip (pix of outside? I'll chuck you another stamp if it's scratched and beaten to shit )
- 1 for nightmare wiring + "noise insulation" (bubble wrap)
- 1 for stock Intel cooler

Nice job!
"There is, you must recall, the kind of serious study that will give you the confidence to strike your match to the mighty wick... which will illuminate yet another portion of the darkness" - Wynton Marsalis, 'Premature Autopsies (Sermon)'
Old 1st September 2011, 4:51 AM   #54
aphasia

i think some people are missing the point of the thread.

ghetto modding is essentially computer modifications for the homeless.
if i were pushing a shopping trolley around the inner city with all my worldly goods inside, my computer would have to have the following attributes;
cheap: when i mean cheap, i mean free or stolen. there are plenty of bargains to be had dumpster diving.
rugged: living on the streets is hard. for a PC to survive this environment, it follows it should be tough. a PC for a bum is a luxury item thus it'll be the envy of your fellow bums. in a pinch it should double as a defensive weapon to ward off the un-washed masses.
mobile: just because you possess a trolley doesn't mean one can rest on your laurels by pushing the thing around all day. never know when a hoard smackies will target your arse because for your sweet rig. if your trolley develops a technical problem, you gotta be able to ditch it & pick-up your ghetto machine and leg-it
functional: boiling it down to its most pure essence, function over form wins every time. no bullshit bling. any flash just paints a bullseye on the bums back. being able to use 'bum ingenuity' is the name of the game. whether it's a lock of your own hair to tie down a heatsink to using the ground-up metal from teeth fillings in a paste of body effluent as a TIM or repairing broken traces on PCB's. nothing is sacred. anything & everything is fair game for getting your beautiful 'franken' PC up and running.
5 food stamps: should be considered the highest accolade for ghetto-esk PC's. it may be butt ugly, but it works. you're PC is housed in a fermenting pizza box coated in human lard to keep the elements at bay. everything inside is either held down with a stolen roll of duct tape or chewing gum you scrapped off the bus bench. all the components ideally been sourced from the trash. an LCD monitor is permitted but a CTR is preferred for its ruggedness and bludgeoning power in hostile environments. peripheral wise, the mouse must be corded and a good solid clicky keyboard with metal back a must.

4 food stamps: your rig probably still looks and smells bad but lost a couple of points here and there. maybe you found a 'scratchie' worth 5 bucks and picked up a container of 'wet ones' to wipe the protective grime off your screen or keyboard.

3 food stamps: this is akin to the halfway house. you spilt your time between roaming the streets looking for the next PC upgrade and sleeping in doors in a warm bed at the homeless shelter. it's apparent in your work that you have access to basic tools, like a screw driver and a hammer. maybe you access to some cash and picked up some string and paper clips. far cry from a beige box from your local dealer but your PC in the right light might pass for a conventional computer.

2 food stamps: your PC is probably in relatively good shape with matching panels in the same colour!

1 food stamp: your PC shows little resemblance to the shoddy pile of shit 5 stamps garners. 1 stamp means you used a couple of cable ties and electrical tape when you ran out of screws or fittings. you've shown some ingenuity with everyday items but overall, your dodgy modifications would escape notice unless deliberately highlighted.

0 food stamps: means your PC is in 'show room' condition completely deficient of bum 'workmanship'. go post your pics in the forum gallery thread where it belongs you capitalist pig!
AMD PII X6 1100|Asus Crosshair V|Sapphire 7970|G.Skill 16GB 1866|Samsung 830 256GB|WD vRaptor 300GB|WD Black 2TB|Seasonic Platinum 1000|WC- XSPC Raystorm|EK FC-7970|EK FB-CHV|Swiftech 655|XSPC Single 5.25in Res|Swiftech QP360|2x Swiftech QPRes 240's|Magicool Slim 240|Primochill 1/2in ID tube|Koolance FM-16|4xNoiseBlocker M12-S3HS 120mm|5x Gentle Typhoon AP-16..someday?|Lamptron FC-8 Controller|Dual Lian Li PC-60 modded case(s)|Win 7 x64|
aphasia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2011, 5:31 PM   #55
BlueRaven Thread Starter

Thanks for clarifying the "Food Stamp" rating system aphasia (most amusing ). I had a quick look at the [H] thread, but obviously missed the definition of the rating system.
And yes, we have probably only seen a couple of genuine examples of ghetto modding in the thread thus far. My BBQ PC certainly doesn't cut it... shiny compression fittings, neatly tied wiring, etc... not particularly ghetto, even if it is currently housed in a BBQ. I must try harder (or less hard? ).

Here's a question though... do we really want to copy [H] with our rating system?

Suggestions now open for an appropriate "Aussie Ghetto Mod" rating system. All ideas/comments/criticism/feedback welcomed.

Cheers guys,
<BR>

Last edited by BlueRaven; 1st September 2011 at 5:37 PM.
Old 2nd September 2011, 4:13 PM   #56
aphasia

Quote:
Originally Posted by <BlueRaven> View Post
Thanks for clarifying the "Food Stamp" rating system aphasia (most amusing ). I had a quick look at the [H] thread, but obviously missed the definition of the rating system.
And yes, we have probably only seen a couple of genuine examples of ghetto modding in the thread thus far. My BBQ PC certainly doesn't cut it... shiny compression fittings, neatly tied wiring, etc... not particularly ghetto, even if it is currently housed in a BBQ. I must try harder (or less hard? ).

Here's a question though... do we really want to copy [H] with our rating system?

Suggestions now open for an appropriate "Aussie Ghetto Mod" rating system. All ideas/comments/criticism/feedback welcomed.

Cheers guys,
<BR>
don't short sell yourself, your ghetto mod was awesomely dodgy as shit
if only more showed your level of 'bum ingenuity', a solid 3 1/2 to 4 foodstamps. shit my effort was barely worth 1 food stamp.

regarding the rating system, aside from the use of the word(s) 'food stamp', the grading of how many i pulled out of my arse. pure fabrication. only wrote it up to amuse myself and maybe get a bit of a giggle from the members here.

understand wanting to 'australianise?' it. perhaps some of the following are more befitting our particular brand of culture;

povo points
dole stamps
centrelink points
stinky bum farts

that's my minute worth of brain storming. sure others should be able to come up with a more appropriate name for the grading system.
perhaps asking that anyone posting must either submit a pic with a short description or 'graders' to copy & paste a template;

example.
==============
score (TBA name): 0 to 5
comments:
==============
AMD PII X6 1100|Asus Crosshair V|Sapphire 7970|G.Skill 16GB 1866|Samsung 830 256GB|WD vRaptor 300GB|WD Black 2TB|Seasonic Platinum 1000|WC- XSPC Raystorm|EK FC-7970|EK FB-CHV|Swiftech 655|XSPC Single 5.25in Res|Swiftech QP360|2x Swiftech QPRes 240's|Magicool Slim 240|Primochill 1/2in ID tube|Koolance FM-16|4xNoiseBlocker M12-S3HS 120mm|5x Gentle Typhoon AP-16..someday?|Lamptron FC-8 Controller|Dual Lian Li PC-60 modded case(s)|Win 7 x64|
aphasia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2011, 10:33 PM   #57
HUMMER

this looks pretty ghetto.

http://www.imagehost.co.za/share-A9C4_4E4E1903.html

Originally Posted by Subcommandante - Who are DVDA? Just a bunch of guys hanging out and having fun...

Originally Posted by Agg - You seem to be confusing OCAU with some kind of democracy.

Originally Posted by Spyfox - mount it on the rear like a brokeback cowboy
HUMMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2011, 11:59 AM   #58
[/\V3NG3R]

All we need now is the "World's Most Ghetto Data Centre" set...
Old 4th September 2011, 1:36 PM   #59
BlueRaven Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphasia View Post
don't short sell yourself, your ghetto mod was awesomely dodgy as shit
if only more showed your level of 'bum ingenuity', a solid 3 1/2 to 4 foodstamps. shit my effort was barely worth 1 food stamp.

regarding the rating system, aside from the use of the word(s) 'food stamp', the grading of how many i pulled out of my arse. pure fabrication. only wrote it up to amuse myself and maybe get a bit of a giggle from the members here.

understand wanting to 'australianise?' it. perhaps some of the following are more befitting our particular brand of culture;

povo points
dole stamps
centrelink points
stinky bum farts

that's my minute worth of brain storming. sure others should be able to come up with a more appropriate name for the grading system.
perhaps asking that anyone posting must either submit a pic with a short description or 'graders' to copy & paste a template;

example.
==============
score (TBA name): 0 to 5
comments:
==============
Cheers mate

A few bits and pieces have been added, and I've posted up a few more pics of the whole dodgy dodgy setup over in "What Have You Done To your PC Today?"

Here's the best one for this thread (note bird shit on right hand side of BBQ ) :-

Thanks for your input on the ranking system too, lovely job on the foodstamp descriptions.
I love your suggestions, but I think I may have found the ideal unit of measurement, if others approve. It is a sacred object, greatly revered by those who must numb the boredom of standing in a long Centrelink line at least once a fortnight or filling out interminable reams of forms, just to get enough of a pittance to be able to afford this week's quota of bongs and booze.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~

Gentlemen, our universal unit of measure for the epicness of ghetto in the thread shall be.... the Goon Bag (optionally abbreviated to GB, or simpy 'Bag').

(DISCLAIMER: Descriptions are for effect only. I do not suggest you actually do any of these things in order to gain a higher score.)

1 Goon Bag
- Essentially a normal, respectable working man's PC. What are you doing in here with such a nice clean rig anyway? Unless you stole it, piss off over to the gallery thread.

2 Goon Bags
- As above, plus some dust, and a nice fan cable tied on somewhere. We'll allow it.

3 Goon Bags - You spent the last of your baby bonus on a cheap 42" plasma and some computer gear, in that order. This is the result, in a dodgy generic case, with hombrew "active cooling" ie. you cut a hole in the side and strapped on a fan pulled from a dead PSU.

4 Goon Bags - Hard times, I feel you bro. You scrounged the case at the tip, lowballed For Sale threads for the gear and nicked the cables from school or a mate so you could hook it up. Your cooling solution involves removing the side panel and grabbing that old desk fan out of your neighbour's kerbside cleanup pile.

5 Goon Bags
- Homeless. Your case is an old cardboard box, your equipment fell off the back of a truck, and your cooling solution consists of a damp towel and a rapidly-waved newspaper.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~

Once we have a suitable number of entries I will post up a poll, the winner of which shall win the inaugural 'OCAU Silver Pillow Award'. Entrants should post their best work in the following format:

PIX
-Name: The Amazing Folding BBQ (make it catchy, so it sticks in people's memory)
-Dept.: From the "Overclock Your Steak" Department (an idea shamelessly ripped from slashdot ... think about what you wanted to achieve, how you got the idea, or a general description of the mod)
-Score: 4 Goon Bags (your opinion of the ghetto level)

Entries may be discussed and rated
. If a consensus for a higher or lower score is reached, I will PM the entrant and request that they edit their post to reflect the agreed score. EDIT: Can anyone who has already upped a mod please edit your post to reflect this format. Thanks guys.

So how about it guys? If you're planning a mod, maybe knock up a ghetto version as a testbed and take some pics. Been planning to do that dodgy data cable run through the bathroom window and out into your bedroom? Get it in here! Building a PC for a friend/family member? Just chuck it together mate! You can always fix it later once we've all had a laugh.

Let me know what you think about the rating system and format, any and all feedback welcomed.

Cheers,
<BR>

EDIT: If we get enough posts from similar departments ie. dodgy build quality, dodgy cabling, dodgy cooling, dodgy locations, dodgy tools/materials, dodgy MTBF, (add your own), I may consider multiple Silver Pillow winners from each category. Also, feel free to tag up this thread to your heart's content.

Last edited by BlueRaven; 4th September 2011 at 9:56 PM.
Old 4th September 2011, 9:30 PM   #60
Asteroid

Quote:
Originally Posted by <BlueRaven> View Post
Bumpity. Needs moar ghetto.
Flogged from another forum (though he's probably on here too):
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a3...T/DSC_0266.jpg
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a3...T/DSC_0279.jpg

That kids, is how you do it!