Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > Modding

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 4th September 2011, 10:00 PM   #61
BlueRaven Thread Starter

Bahahahah niiiiiice.
"There is, you must recall, the kind of serious study that will give you the confidence to strike your match to the mighty wick... which will illuminate yet another portion of the darkness" - Wynton Marsalis, 'Premature Autopsies (Sermon)'
BlueRaven is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 7th September 2011, 7:19 AM   #62
aphasia

Quote:
Originally Posted by <BlueRaven> View Post
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~

Gentlemen, our universal unit of measure for the epicness of ghetto in the thread shall be.... the Goon Bag (optionally abbreviated to GB, or simpy 'Bag').

(DISCLAIMER: Descriptions are for effect only. I do not suggest you actually do any of these things in order to gain a higher score.)

1 Goon Bag
- Essentially a normal, respectable working man's PC. What are you doing in here with such a nice clean rig anyway? Unless you stole it, piss off over to the gallery thread.

2 Goon Bags
- As above, plus some dust, and a nice fan cable tied on somewhere. We'll allow it.

3 Goon Bags - You spent the last of your baby bonus on a cheap 42" plasma and some computer gear, in that order. This is the result, in a dodgy generic case, with hombrew "active cooling" ie. you cut a hole in the side and strapped on a fan pulled from a dead PSU.

4 Goon Bags - Hard times, I feel you bro. You scrounged the case at the tip, lowballed For Sale threads for the gear and nicked the cables from school or a mate so you could hook it up. Your cooling solution involves removing the side panel and grabbing that old desk fan out of your neighbour's kerbside cleanup pile.

5 Goon Bags
- Homeless. Your case is an old cardboard box, your equipment fell off the back of a truck, and your cooling solution consists of a damp towel and a rapidly-waved newspaper.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~

nice gradient, got a giggle out of GB 4 & 5. goonbag tho? it's not common in the vernacular used in the circle of my peers. perhaps an explanation is required. really tho, why mince words, if you're going for something with the 'bag' suffix, why not 'shit bag' (or SB points)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asteroid View Post
Flogged from another forum (though he's probably on here too):
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a3...T/DSC_0266.jpg
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a3...T/DSC_0279.jpg

That kids, is how you do it!
yeah don't know about this entrant. it's not so much dodgy as lazy. a bum would have at least housed all those HD's in something rather than sitting on a desk like that. if i was feeling generous i'd award 1/2 a goonbag or shitbag point for the 80mm fans resting on the keyboard & HD's tho i'd have to be pretty drunk/high to give that.
AMD PII X6 1100|Asus Crosshair V|Sapphire 7970|G.Skill 16GB 1866|Samsung 830 256GB|WD vRaptor 300GB|WD Black 2TB|Seasonic Platinum 1000|WC- XSPC Raystorm|EK FC-7970|EK FB-CHV|Swiftech 655|XSPC Single 5.25in Res|Swiftech QP360|2x Swiftech QPRes 240's|Magicool Slim 240|Primochill 1/2in ID tube|Koolance FM-16|4xNoiseBlocker M12-S3HS 120mm|5x Gentle Typhoon AP-16..someday?|Lamptron FC-8 Controller|Dual Lian Li PC-60 modded case(s)|Win 7 x64|
aphasia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2011, 11:51 AM   #63
BlueRaven Thread Starter

Hmmm, I thought the term "goonbag" was in pretty common usage. Oh well, my second choice would be one of aphasia's suggestions.... Povo Points.

I feel the need to point out that this thread is in no way meant to poke fun at those less fortunate than myself (I've had to walk into Centrelink with my hand out several times throughout my life). Rather, I wish to celebrate the ingenuity that is the hallmark of a good ghetto/povo mod, in solving a problem quickly with whatever materials fall easily to hand.

On with the mods...this one is from the 'Unexpected Win' department.

I knew the X58 chipset was a hot little bastidge, but I didn't realise just how hot it could get with the CPU at 4GHz and folding 24/7 along with the graphics card.

Click to view full-sized image!
Hosted by UGBox Image Store

I had this little 40mm fan lying around. It is a gutless pissant little thing, probably pulled from a switch or router; you can't even hear it at full speed so it's turning slowly and probably moving only 5 or 6 cfm. I ghetto'd it onto the northbridge heatsink, expecting a drop in temps of maybe 4 or 5 degrees (sorry for the slightly blurry phone pics, couldn't find my camera).

Here are the new full-load temps.

Yeah, pretty happy with that for about two minutes work.

Povo Points: Probably only deserves 1, but I'm calling for an extra point due to it being the quickest and most effective ghetto mod I've ever done.
"There is, you must recall, the kind of serious study that will give you the confidence to strike your match to the mighty wick... which will illuminate yet another portion of the darkness" - Wynton Marsalis, 'Premature Autopsies (Sermon)'

Last edited by BlueRaven; 17th September 2011 at 11:55 AM.
Old 17th September 2011, 12:02 PM   #64
Bastard Child

Needs a goon bag reservoir
Old 17th September 2011, 3:33 PM   #65
aphasia

Quote:
Hmmm, I thought the term "goonbag" was in pretty common usage. Oh well, my second choice would be one of aphasia's suggestions.... Povo Points.

I feel the need to point out that this thread is in no way meant to poke fun at those less fortunate than myself (I've had to walk into Centrelink with my hand out several times throughout my life). Rather, I wish to celebrate the ingenuity that is the hallmark of a good ghetto/povo mod, in solving a problem quickly with whatever materials fall easily to hand.

On with the mods...this one is from the 'Unexpected Win' department.

I knew the X58 chipset was a hot little bastidge, but I didn't realise just how hot it could get with the CPU at 4GHz and folding 24/7 along with the graphics card.

I had this little 40mm fan lying around. It is a gutless pissant little thing, probably pulled from a switch or router; you can't even hear it at full speed so it's turning slowly and probably moving only 5 or 6 cfm. I ghetto'd it onto the northbridge heatsink, expecting a drop in temps of maybe 4 or 5 degrees (sorry for the slightly blurry phone pics, couldn't find my camera).

Here are the new full-load temps.

Yeah, pretty happy with that for about two minutes work.

Povo Points: Probably only deserves 1, but I'm calling for an extra point due to it being the quickest and most effective ghetto mod I've ever done.
nice work.

worth at least a point.

crusty/dusty old fan - check
affixed haphazardly - check
been happier if you'd used blu-tak, rubber band or a rusty piece of fuse wire. no pleasing some people i know

only nit picking, is it possible to have the pics viewed at a better size so you don't have to open the pic in a new tab?
i know with imageshack, they display the full size pic. when i submit photos into forum threads, i resize 'em before uploading. i just use the crappy build-in image editor in win7 from the right click context menu.
AMD PII X6 1100|Asus Crosshair V|Sapphire 7970|G.Skill 16GB 1866|Samsung 830 256GB|WD vRaptor 300GB|WD Black 2TB|Seasonic Platinum 1000|WC- XSPC Raystorm|EK FC-7970|EK FB-CHV|Swiftech 655|XSPC Single 5.25in Res|Swiftech QP360|2x Swiftech QPRes 240's|Magicool Slim 240|Primochill 1/2in ID tube|Koolance FM-16|4xNoiseBlocker M12-S3HS 120mm|5x Gentle Typhoon AP-16..someday?|Lamptron FC-8 Controller|Dual Lian Li PC-60 modded case(s)|Win 7 x64|
aphasia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2011, 9:23 PM   #66
yon2004

I have been pissed off with water cooling and when i upgrade my computer why should i have to change water blocks it is stupid they do the same thing. so i made this thing out of a front door of a hot water heater that exploded and some electrical grommets cut in half and some assorted bolts i found.

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!
yon2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2011, 12:56 AM   #67
tiro_uspsss

Quote:
Originally Posted by yon2004 View Post
I have been pissed off with water cooling and when i upgrade my computer why should i have to change water blocks it is stupid they do the same thing. so i made this thing out of a front door of a hot water heater that exploded and some electrical grommets cut in half and some assorted bolts i found.
pix
pix
thats what I'm talking about! screw those 'only compat with this' crap!

bet ya some punk will comment & say it isnt good enough to cool 'modern' CPUs water is water is water!
Old 19th September 2011, 10:52 PM   #68
tiro_uspsss

so I have no job atm... = no $$$

& I was sick of not having a black interior to my case.... I had some 3mm MDF & 2 cans of black spray paint lying around...

before:

after:

PC off -

PC on -

I'm happy with the result
Old 20th September 2011, 1:47 AM   #69
Spyfox

please tell me that void below is reserved for rad space
Spyfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2011, 11:37 AM   #70
tiro_uspsss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyfox View Post
please tell me that void below is reserved for rad space
I bought the case of a fellow OCAU'er - he had cut that out for his rad..... but yes, I will be using it sometime in the next few months when I get my feet wet for the first time
Old 20th September 2011, 2:31 PM   #71
BlueRaven Thread Starter

Nice job mate, I'll give it a povo point.

You loose the point once the lights get switched off though... it looks too awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yon2004 View Post
pix
pix
Definitely worth a couple of points for being made with whatever was lying around. Nice solution, wouldn't want to overtighten it though...

Last edited by BlueRaven; 20th September 2011 at 2:34 PM.
Old 22nd September 2011, 12:25 AM   #72
WishBone17

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiro_uspsss View Post
so I have no job atm... = no $$$

& I was sick of not having a black interior to my case.... I had some 3mm MDF & 2 cans of black spray paint lying around...

before:

after:

PC off -

PC on -

I'm happy with the result
this doesnt belong in this thread, its not ghetto, its like where I live Blacktown, and your build is like Double Bay.

Here my addition to the ghettoness.
My ghetto cathode light switch mounting. If you look closely, you can see the ghetto tiny strips of double sided tape just to hold it in place. LOL
INTEL I7-3770K @4.8GHZ (DELIDDED) | MSI BIGBANG M-POWER Z77 | 16GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE 1600MHZ DDR3 | GPU less for now (using onboard intel) | CORSAIR AX1200 PSU | LIANLI PC-Z70 | AOC 12757FH + DELL U2311H | WIN10 PRO 64BIT | ..:: PICS ::..
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironized View Post
Our father who areth a lurker, creeking be your name, We are here in the most boring of times and pray for you to once again walk among us. Ahnus.
WishBone17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2011, 5:51 PM   #73
scrad

my first decent computer (PIV 2.8ghz)

My first attempt at serious overclocking with extreme cooling (i scrounged a case). I think i managed to get this thing down to -4 degrees or something.

My high precision Network Device (10mbps Hub)

My amp that had a busted channel that i used to drive a 12" car sub a mate gave me. It used to get a bit hot, given that it was only designed to drive a 8ohm load, but it was given a 4ohm. I added a fan. (yes it was 240v, i know it wasn't smart but i was young and stupid, i have gotten older since then. I wouldn't do it as dodgy today.)

Old 22nd September 2011, 6:43 PM   #74
BlueRaven Thread Starter

*speechless for a moment

Holy shit!

Ladies and Gentlemen, I believe we have our very first "5 Povo Point" entry. The best bits:

- Tangle of cables, random fans and bits'n'pieces, in practically every photo
- Is that an old box-type air conditioner??
- Team America ticket
- Super Daffy "Duck Dodgers" insulation material (thanks Crashish)
- The spectacularly dodgy 240V fan mod, wired in with light-duty figure 8.

Bloody hell, it's a wonder you're still around to post this. Bravo. (Disclaimer: Nobody should take this post as an incentive to start messing around with 240V like scrad did!)

I wonder if anyone will be able to top that?

@ WishBone17, you sorta got one-upped by scrad's epic post, but nice job nonetheless. did you have to cut/file the switch body to get it into the slot, or did you just jam it in there?

Last edited by BlueRaven; 22nd September 2011 at 7:02 PM.
Old 22nd September 2011, 6:45 PM   #75
Creekin
(Taking a Break)

Quote:
*speechless for a moment

Holy shit!

Ladies and Gentlemen, I believe we have our very first "5 Povo Point" entry.
*golf clap*
Creekin is offline   Reply With Quote