Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > Modding

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 8th October 2011, 5:13 PM   #121
sammy_b0i

Why didn't you just get a drill/wire cutters/tin snips/hacksaw/stanley knife/pliers and remove it bit by bit, then sand it down. You needn't have waited three months
OCAU is a breeding ground for hyper-moralistic 13 year olds who've never stepped out of the computer room in their entire life. Young liberals, young labor, people who will grow old and die before they ever think about pulling their head out.
sammy_b0i is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 8th October 2011, 5:16 PM   #122
Garido

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy_b0i View Post
Why didn't you just get a drill/wire cutters/tin snips/hacksaw/stanley knife/pliers and remove it bit by bit, then sand it down. You needn't have waited three months
You can ask BlueRaven but a hacksaw couldn't do the job given the position of the piece of plastic. The plastic was too thick for a stanley knife and pliers to snap the plastic would have been too risky.
WTB: Samsung SSD/HDD, DDR3 RAM, nVidia 8600GT, Dual Monitor Stand, Lenovo S10e Battery
Garido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2011, 9:59 PM   #123
Mistikal

Here is the second incarnation of my "Ghetto Box". I made another using the same style of storage container modified for AT-style systems, but I can't be bothered going to find it.

This one is Fullsize-ATX-spec, complete with 2 areas to mound hard drives and the optical drive on the top. Idle temps on a P4 system weren't bad, full-load was a different story thou.

The only tools used were a soldering iron (to melt the plastic) and a screwdriver to mount screws - no cutting tools at all.

This used to house my LAN system - had a whopping 200GB hard drive in it back in the day, considered massive back then.

Here is the third incarnation using an old ITX board. This one was built back in about 2004, with the aim being to only have one hole out the side for cables, and one out the bottom for cables (after installing a few feet on the bottom). The CDROM is slot load, but it's a very tight fit to get a CD in there!

I absolutely LOVE ghetto mods - some of the best modding is done on the cheap! If only I had a camera over the years to photograph some of my more ingenious creations...
Car #1: 04 VY Calais LS1 - 310rwhp, AP brakes, HSV 19s - cruiser! || Car #2: 95 K11 Micra Super S - paint job, engine swap, big stez - daily!
Mistikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2011, 9:43 PM   #124
RyoSaeba

Here's my contribution.

Sennheiser HD555 (dampener removed) + logitech USB headset

Dremeled away the rest of the logitech headset and only left the microphone. Then just hot glue it back onto the side of the Sennheiser. It can still rotate out of the way if I need to. Excellent for confort.
RyoSaeba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2011, 10:23 PM   #125
tiro_uspsss

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyoSaeba View Post
Here's my contribution.

Sennheiser HD555 (dampener removed) + logitech USB headset

Dremeled away the rest of the logitech headset and only left the microphone. Then just hot glue it back onto the side of the Sennheiser. It can still rotate out of the way if I need to. Excellent for confort.

CL-ASSY!
Old 10th October 2011, 6:48 PM   #126
Clippit

Not sure if I posted this one already - the band on my headphones was never very good, so when it fell apart I upgraded it:

Yes! Tula's finest engineering!

Also - various zero-budget things to stop it melting and make it slightly less noisy:

Also also I dun did some Bunnings Racing Team pedals a while back which are still working
Old 11th October 2011, 10:24 PM   #127
RSDXzec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creekin View Post
i think it's shearing time..
so allow me to contribute on his behalf for now...

also lol@ yamaha mixer! fsckin noobz!
A&H FTW
i like this... but i think it's a bit too dangerous lol, I wouldn't even put a standard wc setup on my pc, let along use a garden hose XD
RSDXzec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2011, 10:26 PM   #128
brayway

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSDXzec View Post
i like this... but i think it's a bit too dangerous lol, I wouldn't even put a standard wc setup on my pc, let along use a garden hose XD
I Had less problems with that system that I did with my normal setup, It didn't leak or anything! Also had a tight fit into the Fittings
Old 11th October 2011, 10:32 PM   #129
RSDXzec

Quote:
Originally Posted by brayway View Post
I Had less problems with that system that I did with my normal setup, It didn't leak or anything! Also had a tight fit into the Fittings
hahaha nice, I just wouldnt risk it lol, well maybe on an older system but definitely not on my gaming pc. And tubing is so cheap anyway, I guess a good improvement would be to use an old car radiator or something instead of one from pccg because they cost a bit more. I was seriously considering doing this at one stage, but then I found out how high the flow rate was through one of those
Old 11th October 2011, 10:33 PM   #130
brayway

Quote:
hahaha nice, I just wouldnt risk it lol, well maybe on an older system but definitely not on my gaming pc. And tubing is so cheap anyway, I guess a good improvement would be to use an old car radiator or something instead of one from pccg because they cost a bit more. I was seriously considering doing this at one stage, but then I found out how high the flow rate was through one of those
I was waiting for tubing etc to come, so just used what i had on hand
Old 11th October 2011, 10:36 PM   #131
RSDXzec

Quote:
Originally Posted by brayway View Post
I was waiting for tubing etc to come, so just used what i had on hand
wow haha, must have been really impatient then I thought the original idea was to save a few bucks, but I'd rather wait. Did you end up using the tubing you bought or did you keep the hose on there? (since you said it worked so well)
Old 11th October 2011, 10:37 PM   #132
brayway

Quote:
wow haha, must have been really impatient then I thought the original idea was to save a few bucks, but I'd rather wait. Did you end up using the tubing you bought or did you keep the hose on there? (since you said it worked so well)
Replaced it as soon as my new stuff got here.
It was to stiff and wouldn't bend well enough.
The new stuff being clear garden tubing from bunnings
Which about a month later, was replaced with the tube I have now.
Old 13th October 2011, 12:30 PM   #133
WishBone17

Whatzz up ma wiggers!!, Here is my ghetto spoon trick.

INTEL I7-3770K @4.8GHZ (DELIDDED) | MSI BIGBANG M-POWER Z77 | 16GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE 1600MHZ DDR3 | GPU less for now (using onboard intel) | CORSAIR AX1200 PSU | LIANLI PC-Z70 | AOC 12757FH + DELL U2311H | WIN10 PRO 64BIT | ..:: PICS ::..
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironized View Post
Our father who areth a lurker, creeking be your name, We are here in the most boring of times and pray for you to once again walk among us. Ahnus.
WishBone17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2011, 8:22 PM   #134
SYF_Karma

this isnt as ghetto as it could be, but there were no cable ties spared

need an interim solution to mount my rig in my rack, need the deskspace

mobo tray from MM, pedestal for ascension from MM, everything tied lol

works tho, cant complain

Old 14th October 2011, 9:00 PM   #135
Protolisk

Quote:
Originally Posted by WishBone17 View Post
Whatzz up ma wiggers!!, Here is my ghetto spoon trick.

What does that do?
Protolisk is offline   Reply With Quote