Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Pets & Animals

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 15th June 2017, 9:14 PM   #7636
arc87

Just after a bit more help guys, Added the piece of driftwood and few extra plants but if you look closely at the driftwood you can see there is some sort of fungus building up on the driftwood it's only been in the tank for a few days now. Anything to be alarmed at? Would the golden suckers take care of it?

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!
arc87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 15th June 2017, 9:16 PM   #7637
broccoli

Quote:
Originally Posted by arc87 View Post
Anything to be alarmed at?
I wouldn't worry. From memory, my wood did "weird and wonderful" things when it first went in. Everything will settle in time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankari View Post
I expected this to be bad, but they really put the effort in and took it to a whole new level of atrocious.
broccoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2017, 9:27 PM   #7638
t00ch

Yep that's pretty common. From memory it happened to mine and just disappeared after a few days.
t00ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2017, 9:40 PM   #7639
arc87

Alright thanks fellas.
arc87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2017, 1:31 PM   #7640
t00ch

Damnit, lost another Dwarf Gourami. He was looking sickly for a few days and I found him stuck to the filter intake today
RIP.

No more DG's, they are too fragile it seems.
Old 30th June 2017, 1:47 PM   #7641
fredhoon

I lost my daughters new Betta last night. Looked fine and healthy in the morning, family reckons they saw it swimming around before I got home from work and after dinner I found it dead stuck under/between a rock and the side of the tank.

I don't really want to get another Betta, I'll steer clear of DGs as well!
go soothingly on the grease mud as they're lurks a skid demon
fredhoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2017, 1:50 PM   #7642
Lupuscrux

My long fin pepper cory's where having the Sexy time last night, now the waiting game see if and eggs happen and then hope the Kouhli loaches or the Peppers don't eat them before i can move them to a fry basket.
Old 30th June 2017, 2:58 PM   #7643
t00ch

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredhoon View Post
I don't really want to get another Betta, I'll steer clear of DGs as well!
It's a shame because they are beautiful fish and they can be quite charismatic, they are just too prone to disease. Apparently largely due to inbreeding which is how they got their lovely colouring.
Old 3rd July 2017, 9:48 AM   #7644
Lupuscrux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupuscrux View Post
My long fin pepper cory's where having the Sexy time last night, now the waiting game see if and eggs happen and then hope the Kouhli loaches or the Peppers don't eat them before i can move them to a fry basket.
woohoo ended up with 4 eggs that all look to be fertile,(now in a guppy fry basket) I'm sure that there are more in their but tanks a little too planted to see any stuck under leaves.
Old 4th July 2017, 1:07 AM   #7645
fredhoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by t00ch View Post
It's a shame because they are beautiful fish and they can be quite charismatic, they are just too prone to disease. Apparently largely due to inbreeding which is how they got their lovely colouring.
Sounds like just about every popular or colourful fish from an LFS - mass bred in Asia and/or cross-bred into disease prone infertility! But they do look good (both Bettas and DGs).

I lost the battle with the kids and now we have another male betta, a boring veiltail too as I couldn't steer them into choosing a different fish or at least one of the good looking crowntails.
go soothingly on the grease mud as they're lurks a skid demon
fredhoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2017, 9:35 AM   #7646
broccoli

Quote:
Originally Posted by t00ch View Post
they are just too prone to disease.
not inherently, they just suffer terrible conditions and stress. If you can find a shop that doesn't keep them in jars or keeps only a few so they have a good turnover, get one who hasn't been in the shop long, and then bring him home to a nice big clean tank, he'll be fine. But even if you "do everything right", they still don't live very long.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankari View Post
I expected this to be bad, but they really put the effort in and took it to a whole new level of atrocious.
broccoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2017, 11:01 AM   #7647
Optimus.

FYI, petbarn is having an EOFY sale on their site, 30% off everything. Site is getting hammered but perhaps it's a good time to stock up on some fish food.
Optimus. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2017, 11:25 AM   #7648
Ma Baker
Retired

I find it cheaper to buy fish food on eBay in bulk, especially when they have their discounts on.
Old 9th July 2017, 6:13 PM   #7649
holdennutta

Needed to buy the dog a winter coat so ended up at Pet City today. Got the dog her coat but also ended up with some more gear for the tanks!

RHS 200L welcomes a pair of Blue Rams:

And the LHS 200L tank took on a small batch of Guppys. I'm not an enormous fan of them but the FiancÚ was quite keen on them so I got rams and she got them.

The plants in the tank are stuffed unfortunately. The RHS tank with all the Cory's, cardinals and bristlenose has been fairly successful with the plants but the old LHS 200L tank has just destroyed the plants. I wonder whether it's a CO2 deficiency as the leaves have yellowed a bit. Some of the other plants just melted away to Half their size and stayed like that. I wonder if 20 neons and a bristlnose aren't producing enough for the plants?

Bought some root tabs and flourish to try. Didn't get any liquid CO2 as I'm hoping the extra waste from the Rams will help.

I'm hoping with the added fish waste and fertiliser they'll bounce back.

Discovered the Eheim 150W heater in that tank has some condensation on the inside and the tank had dropped 1' from where is was rock solid previously. Will pick up a new heater tomorrow after work and then find some time to warranty the stuffed one and keep as a spare.
holdennutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2017, 3:28 PM   #7650
holdennutta

Ended up grabbing a Petworx 200W heater for $35 from the aquarium shop up the road. (Paul's aquarium in Oxley). I'm hoping to use it until I can (hopefully) get the Eheim warrantied and then keep the Petworx one as a backup.

I'm going to run an unscientific comparison between the 150W eheim and the 200W Petworx keeping the same size tanks at the same temp and see how much they consume.

Interestingly the Petworx actually consumes ~250W while heating I've noticed so far.

Assuming it works and doesn't consume so much power that the purchase cost savings don't get eaten up in 6mo by the increased power use the Petworx heater at $35 isn't a bad buy.. It doesn't look very nice like the Eheim but a 150W eheim is nearly $80 at retail!
holdennutta is offline   Reply With Quote