Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > Networking, Telephony & Internet

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old Today, 7:35 AM   #616
MR CHILLED
D'oh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by caspian View Post
at least at my regular office, it's plain Lavazza. I don't even drink it, I bring my own because I prefer something better. and I pay for it out of my own pocket too.
We have a cheap pod machine.....we have to pay $1 per pod.

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old Today, 7:50 AM   #617
Zee

One of my clients got the NBN installed a little while back - I did not realise the modems they use are now so gimped that you can't even change the IP address range.

Now the security, control system - everything is down, and the simple fix of changing the IP range on the modem is not possible, so, everyone has to go back and manually configure everything again.

Or, of course, buy a new, 3rd party router (which is what we are doing), but wtf is the point of these things?

Fucking retards...

Z...
Old Today, 8:00 AM   #618
roamin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zee View Post
One of my clients got the NBN installed a little while back - I did not realise the modems they use are now so gimped that you can't even change the IP address range.

Now the security, control system - everything is down, and the simple fix of changing the IP range on the modem is not possible, so, everyone has to go back and manually configure everything again.

Or, of course, buy a new, 3rd party router (which is what we are doing), but wtf is the point of these things?

Fucking retards...

Z...
i did not know this, but i assumed that basic functionality would be in there, guess not.

i bet there real cheap though lol
Caselabs S8, I7 6700k @ 4.6ghz, giga Z170x Designare mobo, 32gb Corsair ddr4, 2x Evo 850 1TB in raid0, 1080ti Founders Edition with EK block, Creative titanium hd sound, 3x xspc 360 rads, ek cpu block, aquacomputer aqualis 440ml, aquacomputer D5 pump, acrlyic custom bent tubing.
roamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 9:21 AM   #619
caspian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roamin View Post
defend it all you like
I'll continue to call people out on bullshit when I see it, yes.

Quote:
now theres talks of 12mil in flights on 1 year. thats a huge amount of domestic flights in australia to rack 12mil up. mosts return flights in australia is around $500 return. thats 24,000 domestic flights, im guessing theres a lot of 1st class flights in order to spend the 12mil
ooh, I'll play. for starters, I doubt very much that much if any was first class. maybe if the CEO flew to a conference in America or something.

the company has staff all over the country. we teleconference so much that we actually ditched all of of the commercial voice bridge and teleconference facilities being bought and built our own inhouse, specifically because it's cheaper and better. but you know what? it's kind of hard to run a three-day training workshop that actually requires staff to put their hands on the equipment via teleconference. it's hard to go onsite for a build inspection via teleconference. and it's not possible to operate a piece of equipment remotely, sometimes you just have to do it personally.

I could have told you the name of the News Limited "journalist" that wrote that article without reading it. all Frank Chung does is recycle piss weak bash attempts by other people, he's a knocker with nothing positive to say.

Quote:
please explain how its not more? they are spending millions on fttn.
because we aren't recabling the entire country, that's why.

Quote:
are you telling me its going to cost no more to go from fttn to fttp? please tell me you dont believe that. its going to cost 100's of millions to fix this shit. nbnco will just keep stringing money out of the governments.
and there's an example of why I call out bullshit. please repeat this as many times as it is necessary for you to absorb it:

NBN does what the government of the day says. at the moment, that's MTM.

loop until it sinks in.

of course it will cost money to deploy MTM. I mean, duh. of course it will cost money to upgrade from MTM to a full fibre network when deemed necessary. again, duh. MTM is about lower the rollout timeframe and giving access to the NBN to more people more quickly. it's not intended to be an end state.

Quote:
TLDR: nbnco are not supplying what was promised, its costing way too much compared to what was said and its taking longer then it was meant too and the end product is a pathetic joke, 25mbps? lol.
please try to have a clue before you discuss the subject. if you want to have an uniformed rant, take it to Whingepool where you'll find a similarly minded set of people.

Please do not contact me directly for advice on NBN related issues. Your ISP is your contact point for support. If they can't or more likely won't help you, why are you rewarding them with your business?

Last edited by caspian; Today at 12:05 PM.
caspian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 9:21 AM   #620
caspian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zee View Post
that would be the modem supplied by their ISP, nothing to do with NBN.

Please do not contact me directly for advice on NBN related issues. Your ISP is your contact point for support. If they can't or more likely won't help you, why are you rewarding them with your business?
Old Today, 9:52 AM   #621
mareke

Quote:
that would be the modem supplied by their ISP, nothing to do with NBN.
Checking TPG's website it looks to me like you can't say no to a modem supplied by them if you sign up with them for the NBN. I'm guessing this means that it has firmware that locks it to TPG. Is it possible to buy a modem of your own that can be used with any ISP?
mareke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:14 AM   #622
caspian

depends entirely on the requirements of the ISP and what they have ordered. it isn't a simple subject like ADSL where everyone used PPP, there was no network QoS and no port addressing modes. with options comes complexity. in some ways it's a bit like choosing to build your own PC. if you buy a turn-key preassembled solution you expect it to work, and all of the compatibility and configuration research to have been done for you. but with simplicity of solution comes limitation of choice. if you choose to roll your own then it's up to you to do all of your own research, and if you buy RAM with timings that don't suit your mobo then that's your problem.

any modem that meets NBN published standards will work on any NBN connection with the NBN itself, from a sync perspective.

the router in use needs to conform to the service configuration the ISP has ordered. bear in mind that most "modems" are in fact modem/router combinations - if the device has layer 3 functionality, it's a router. it might well be built into the same plastic box as the modem, which takes a 2-wire layer 1 DSL interface and turns it into an layer 2 ethernet interface, but it's still a router. whether the router can be configured to suit the ordered service configuration is then a function of the capability of the device itself (including how far the GUI is locked down) and whether you know what is required!

for instance, if they have ordered a default mapped service (all packets force remarked to one traffic class only) then as long as you can get sync, it will probably work. (although even then you still have to set stuff like authentication to suit the ISP's network).

if they have ordered a DSCP mapped service with multiple traffic classes, then the modem needs to support that, and it will be up to you configure it if you supply your own modem. the specifications for the required DSCP markings are in table 9 under section 4.8 of http://www.nbnco.com.au/content/dam/...n_20160901.pdf

if they have ordered a C-VID tagged service then the modem needs to be configured for that. the ISP needs to tell you what tagging values to use.

unless the ISP is using some sort of MAC whitelisting or TR.069 I can't see how they can flat out prevent you from using the modem/router of your choice, but whether they will tell you how to configure aftermarket equipment is a different conversation - it just might have the same outcome.

the other complication is VoIP - some ISPs won't release their VoIP configurations. that might lock you to the supplied hardware depending on circumstances. many things are possible by wiresharking the WAN interface of a supplied router connected to a bridged modem , but likely only the technologically savvy diehard would bother.

Last edited by caspian; Today at 11:20 AM.
Old Today, 11:57 AM   #623
roamin

Quote:
snip
ok so if this shit connection is only temporary and you seem to have the answers, when can the rest of australia expect to have better then adsl speeds?

if the rollout finishes in 2020 then when will it be fixed so the rest of the country can get what all the major cbd's get? 2025? 2040?
Caselabs S8, I7 6700k @ 4.6ghz, giga Z170x Designare mobo, 32gb Corsair ddr4, 2x Evo 850 1TB in raid0, 1080ti Founders Edition with EK block, Creative titanium hd sound, 3x xspc 360 rads, ek cpu block, aquacomputer aqualis 440ml, aquacomputer D5 pump, acrlyic custom bent tubing.
roamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:05 PM   #624
caspian

I will say it yet again.

ASK THE GOVERNMENT. THEY SET THE STANDARDS.

Old Today, 12:18 PM   #625
Edward05

hey caspian i sent you a pm yesterday mate wondering if you could have a look at it cheers
Enthoo Pro M Mid | Maximus VIII Hero | 6600K | 16GB HyperX 2666 | Cooler PH-TC12DX | ASUS ROG Strix GTX 1070 OC | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB | EVGA 750G2 | Acer XB271HU | HeadSet Sennheiser GAME ZERO | Zowie EC1-A
Originally Posted by Bertross
oh god not again!
Edward05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 1:13 PM   #626
caspian

please see the message I put in my sig for that exact reason. sorry, but I don't have the time to act as personal support to every person with a question about their own connection. what does your ISP say in terms of what your line should support?