OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > PC Audio

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 16th February 2017, 10:08 AM   #1
Chif Thread Starter

Default Where to start?

Hey guys,

Sorry in advance if my question is repetitive, searching google and the forums has just given me a lot of overwhelming information.

I've just added a sound card to my PC (Audigy Rx), and the increase in quality has been amazing. I'm using razer tiamat 7.1's and from what I've read, the drivers are actually quite crappy.
So I'd like to make some changes to my overall setup and begin diving into some higher quality gear (I want an emphasis on music, but will be gaming as well).

I'm just wondering what components people use. From what I've gathered so far, I would have a decent set of headphones, which would plug into an amp, which would then plug into my sound card.
It's my understanding that the sound car itself is an amp, but to go from a 3.5mm jack to the split up 2.5mm connections to the sound card, I'm guessing an external amp is the way to go.

Am I correct?
Also, can someone point me in the direction of a reliable place to research parts/ combinations of equipment? Or if anyone knows off the bat what will pair well with the sound card I've got, that'd be great.

Cheers,
Andy

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 16th February 2017, 10:10 AM   #2
power

If you are using an amp pass a digital source to it and let it do all the work.

Your Audigy is wasted if you aren't plugging straight into it for the most part.

The missing link in your understanding is what DAC's do and where they fit in your setup.

https://www.headphone.com/pages/what-is-a-dac

Last edited by power; 16th February 2017 at 10:12 AM.
power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2017, 1:48 PM   #3
Chif Thread Starter

Ahh I'd seen DAC mentioned somewhere. So does my current sound car still output in digital? And if that's the case, I'd want a DAC to fit between my headphones and sound card?

Thanks for your reply
Old 16th February 2017, 1:54 PM   #4
power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chif View Post
Ahh I'd seen DAC mentioned somewhere. So does my current sound car still output in digital? And if that's the case, I'd want a DAC to fit between my headphones and sound card?

Thanks for your reply
it should, however you probably aren't at the moment - I'd put money on it you aren't.

You're using the analogue out into the amp.

If this is your card, the "optical out" is the digital - and optical is limited as a digital medium.

http://au.creative.com/p/sound-cards...ster-audigy-rx

read more about the limitations of optical here

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TOSLINK

Quote:
Also known generically as an "optical audio cable" or just "optical cable", its most common use is in consumer audio equipment (via a "digital optical" socket), where it carries a digital audio stream from components such as CD and DVD players, DAT recorders, computers, and modern video game consoles, to an AV receiver that can decode two channels of uncompressed lossless PCM audio or compressed 5.1/7.1 surround sound such as Dolby Digital Plus or DTS-HD High Resolution Audio. Unlike HDMI, TOSLINK does not have the bandwidth to carry the lossless versions of Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD Master Audio, or more than two channels of PCM audio.

Last edited by power; 16th February 2017 at 1:56 PM.
power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2017, 2:04 PM   #5
Chif Thread Starter

Ok, yes I'm currently using the analogue outputs on it. So my current setup, card straight to headphones is ideal?

But if I were to upgrade to a set of headphones that only have a 3.5mm jack, what would I then use to get them connected to the sound card?
Old 16th February 2017, 2:14 PM   #6
museumman

http://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/o...aptor-co2535ad

but try a quality one if you can get
museumman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2017, 2:19 PM   #7
power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chif View Post
Ok, yes I'm currently using the analogue outputs on it. So my current setup, card straight to headphones is ideal?

But if I were to upgrade to a set of headphones that only have a 3.5mm jack, what would I then use to get them connected to the sound card?
it does depend on the headphones, some headphones cannot be driven directly off the soundcard and require amplification.

Trying an adapter as above is a good start to see where you are at for the moment.
Old 16th February 2017, 2:21 PM   #8
Chif Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by museumman View Post
http://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/o...aptor-co2535ad

but try a quality one if you can get
Quote:
Originally Posted by power View Post
it does depend on the headphones, some headphones cannot be driven directly off the soundcard and require amplification.

Trying an adapter as above is a good start to see where you are at for the moment.
Awesome. Thanks guys, I've got a bit of a starting point now
Old 17th February 2017, 2:15 PM   #9
SuzyCreamcheese

I've had a decent collection of headphones for a few years, and a couple of different DAC's/sound cards over the years too. Like buying anything, research is definitely the key, and there's no ocean of bullshit larger than audiophiles and the pseudoscience of getting the right sound.

Now the obvious questions regarding what to buy are, whats your price, and what do you like.

For most part, at an entry level (sub $200 headphones), you can get away with just headphones and a source, and get 80% of the enjoyment that you would out of $1000+ setups. Don't be fooled by money = quality/enjoyment either. I prefer headphones like MS-1 to DT880, despite the fact its almost 1/3 the price. Thats my preference, it doesn't mean the DT880 isn't worth the money.

For music, 2 channel headphones are the best. I prefer open ear, cause i listen to my headphones in my house, where only the air con makes any background noise.

Finally, ergonomics. This is a big one, cause i hate large headphones, and after long listening sessions, i find circumaural headphones quite discomforting on the bone behind my ear.

A lot of determining what you like will require a trip to the store, and some tentative listening to music you like, and music you feel personifies you.

TLR, Get some easy to drive headphones that are recommended, comfortable and at a price you like. And you're set.
Old 21st February 2017, 10:53 AM   #10
karn1911

Your sound card already has a DAC and an amplifier built into it.
I'm not sure what this 2.5mm connection is about as headphones either come with a 3.5mm or 1/4 inch jack (unless you're talking about having a balanced 2.5mm cable... which is incredibly rare.)

If you'd like to utilise your sound card, would say to get a pair of decent headphones as your starting point.
What is decent would really be up to your budget.
From then on, if you're thinking about upgrading further, would consider getting a DAC with better chipset/analogue stage plus an external headphone amplifier - after this point your sound card is actually bypassed.
However, it's all diminishing returns after the headphone upgrade.
karn1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2017, 5:27 PM   #11
Kookooburra

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyCreamcheese View Post
no ocean of bullshit larger than audiophiles and the pseudoscience of getting the right sound.
Many moons ago I was reading a "What HiFi" mag, and they were testing a Panasonic VCR, a Sony, a Mitsubishi and an expensive Bang and Olufsen unit.

No surprise that the BO won the tests{technical analysis} however, it was often by the tiniest margin, so BO would have the right to say they made the best VCR, but to gain a 1.5% advantage over the others you had to pay 2.25times the price....anyway, I bought the panasonic, lol.

Samsung Tab S 8.4 4G
Kookooburra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 6:43 PM   #12
^catalyst

Get a set of headphones you like, avoid more than 1 driver per ear.

Get a soundcard that does what you want, if you want fancy positional sound in games that means from Creative (last I checked, where is 3d audio on pc at anyway??).

You'll want the positional shit done in the soundcard, which may not be possible if you use the digital out.

To be super honest, if you've got a decent soundcard and don't have any interference or noise problems from it being inside your pc you probably won't notice going down the DAC > AMP route.

If you want to eek the best out of an expensive/high quality set of headphones you may need a better DAC than the soundcard has.

If the headphones you like the most are high impedance you will need an amplifier if your soundcard cannot drive them. Most headphones are not high impedance. The impedance doesn't directly relate to the quality.

It is unfortunately not really possible to objectively quantify 'quality' in audio as it is highly subjective. Therefore, the amount of complete and utter bullshit people talk related to it has more mass than a thousand suns.

If it sounds good, it is good.
^catalyst is offline   Reply With Quote