Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Software Topics > Other Operating Systems

Notices

Old 21st July 2017, 2:55 PM   #1
Statitica Thread Starter

Default Suggestion Requests

Currently, the charity I work for is using MYOB, although I'm told they are looking to migrate to something which is simpler and easier to use, especially when it comes to generating reports.

Personally, I think that the issues we are having with reports, do not stem from MYOB being difficult to operate, but from user error in data input. Five years of using similar software to MYOB, plus a discussion wherein I was told that the head accountant is spending "hours" on fixing input errors, is the basis of my hypothesis.

On top of this, as I discovered when I took on the role of acting GM during the absence of the real thing, there are literally hours spent in manually adding up the clocked hours for all of the staff involved, using mechanical time cards.

I've had a quick look at a few options, such as GNU Enterprise and Apache OFBiz, but the actual details are a little vague on what features are available in both.

I also spoke with the CEO about making changes to some of the processes, and he revealed that he is looking into a move away from MYOB.

So, what software would you suggest we use for:
  • Accounting, to replace MYOB, on a medium to large scale, dealing with multiple accounts and multiple currencies. Simplicity in report generation is a key factor in the considerations, as well as being able to have multiple users access the database simultaneously.
  • Time keeping, via barcode/QR reader, or simple password, preferably with output to a spreadsheet.

Now, everyone here apart from myself runs windows, so this is not technically an "other operating system" question (although if the solution is web-based, I would be hosting it on a Ubuntu based server), I just figured that this is the subforum most likely to be home to people who would have answers to the above.

Solutions I have perused so far:
  • OpenMiracle
  • GNUCash
  • GNU Enterprise
  • Apache OFBiz
  • GNU Khata
  • kimai
  • punchclock!

Last edited by Statitica; 21st July 2017 at 3:00 PM.
Statitica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2017, 3:39 PM   #2
miicah

https://www.xero.com/au/

CS:GO Videos | Motorcycle Videos
miicah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2017, 3:43 PM   #3
Quadbox

Plus of course an advantage of paying for a cloud solution like xero is you wouldnt have to manage backups in PNG statica...
Quadbox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2017, 6:16 PM   #4
Statitica Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadbox View Post
Plus of course an advantage of paying for a cloud solution like xero is you wouldnt have to manage backups in PNG statica...
I'm just not sure it will be viable as far as cost of internet plus subscription is concerned. Apart from that, I'd likely be recommending the same.
Old 21st July 2017, 8:11 PM   #5
flu!d
Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS

You can't beat the cloud based solutions. What you pay in subscription fees would most likely be absorbed in forced software upgrades for locally installed solutions.

Nothing, absolutely nothing is as bad as Reckon Accounts.

Dell T5500, Xeon X5675 Hex core @ 3.46Ghz max, 24GB RAM, GTX 670FTW, 60GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD OS drive, 2 x 1TB home/storage drives, Dual Acer V243HQ 1920 x 1080 monitors, Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS and loving it!
flu!d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2017, 9:18 AM   #6
Statitica Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flu!d View Post
You can't beat the cloud based solutions. What you pay in subscription fees would most likely be absorbed in forced software upgrades for locally installed solutions.

Nothing, absolutely nothing is as bad as Reckon Accounts.
While true for most Australian ​businesses (rural areas an obvious exception), the same cannot necessarily be said for PNG.

Also, seeing as our payroll requirements alone push the cost up to $100AUD/month, and then considering that we would need to be able to connect to it at a speed capable of handling five users without excessive waiting times, and removing the possibility of downtime, which gives a monthly cost (conservative estimate) of $350AUD (plus line rental). For our situation, at least, with a cost of $5400+AUD per year, I think it is almost certainly possible to get a cheaper localised solution.