Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Software Topics > Other Operating Systems

Notices

Old 18th January 2017, 2:29 PM   #5731
daehenoc

Touché! That will make the setup a lot simpler, I tried to set up the mdraid last night, and it all seemed to go OK, but when I powered off and pulled sda to boot off sdb, lvm turned up it's toes and couldn't find the vg... I'll try again tonight!
daehenoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2017, 2:39 PM   #5732
HyRax1
¡Viva la Resolutión!

Quote:
Originally Posted by daehenoc View Post
Touché! That will make the setup a lot simpler, I tried to set up the mdraid last night, and it all seemed to go OK, but when I powered off and pulled sda to boot off sdb, lvm turned up it's toes and couldn't find the vg... I'll try again tonight!
I personally don't boot off RAID (even my hardware RAID setups). I always use a simple boot drive (usually a small capacity SSD) and keep the RAID for the data only. Main reason being that if something gets corrupt on the boot drive (with the OS in general), I can quickly and easily restore a basic one-disk Clonezilla backup image back to the boot drive and get back up and running very quickly without mucking about.
Old 18th January 2017, 3:57 PM   #5733
daehenoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyRax1 View Post
I personally don't boot off RAID (even my hardware RAID setups). I always use a simple boot drive (usually a small capacity SSD) and keep the RAID for the data only. Main reason being that if something gets corrupt on the boot drive (with the OS in general), I can quickly and easily restore a basic one-disk Clonezilla backup image back to the boot drive and get back up and running very quickly without mucking about.
So for your mythtv server, your database is not stored on the boot drive, it's stored on your RAID array?

Hah, I can answer that, you use the mythtv backup scripts to dump the db every x hours, and store that backup on your RAID, right?

Edit: hmm, I wonder if the 2.5" HDD in the external drive I got will fit inside the NUC...

Edit edit: Does clonezilla support LVM, i.e. does it successfully do a clone/restore of an LVM partition and all the vg/pv/lv information and data, I suppose it does

Last edited by daehenoc; 18th January 2017 at 5:25 PM.
Old 18th January 2017, 7:22 PM   #5734
HyRax1
¡Viva la Resolutión!

Quote:
So for your mythtv server, your database is not stored on the boot drive, it's stored on your RAID array?

Hah, I can answer that, you use the mythtv backup scripts to dump the db every x hours, and store that backup on your RAID, right?
Correct, and then CrashPlan backs that backup file up to the cloud (I don't backup recordings or other media - they're just too big, especially without any NBN).

Quote:
Edit edit: Does clonezilla support LVM, i.e. does it successfully do a clone/restore of an LVM partition and all the vg/pv/lv information and data, I suppose it does
It does support it, but I've never actually done an LVM image with Clonezilla to know if it has any quirks about it. I generally use Clonezilla only for Linux boot and Windows drives.
Old 19th January 2017, 5:47 AM   #5735
The Sentinel

I can confirm that CZ works with LVM without any special treatment.
Both my Myth backend and my ZFS server use LVM and get backed up using CZ.
Old 19th January 2017, 3:31 PM   #5736
daehenoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyRax1 View Post
Correct, and then CrashPlan backs that backup file up to the cloud (I don't backup recordings or other media - they're just too big, especially without any NBN).
I also use Crashplan, but I haven't been backing that up to their cloud, do they still offer a small amount of free cloud storage, or is it only paid storage now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sentinel View Post
I can confirm that CZ works with LVM without any special treatment.
Both my Myth backend and my ZFS server use LVM and get backed up using CZ.
Sweet, thanks for the information - I got the new server install finished and booting last night, I'll do some more work on it this weekend.

Edit: Grabbed myself another 4Tb external HDD, so I have two for data storage for raid1. They're synchronizing at 127Mb/sec, not bad for USB3!

Last edited by daehenoc; 19th January 2017 at 6:03 PM.
Old 22nd January 2017, 8:03 PM   #5737
daehenoc

GRRRRRR. I installed mythtv-backend on the new h/w, and managed to stuff up the IP, so it was talking to the existing mythtv-backend. I wondered why all the old, mixed up channels were in the new install, I thought that they must have been pre-populated, blew them all away and restarted the scan, then SWMBO asked why she couldn't schedule any recordings...

Bloody good thing the new mythtvserver asked and I did a backup of the DB!!! A few frenzied minutes later of using the restore script and my DB was back and running correctly again... (went through a schema upgrade as well, so PHEW)
Old 29th January 2017, 7:09 PM   #5738
daehenoc

Well shit. Defeated when I tried to spin up the new mythtv server. VAAPI failed on the frontend, despite vainfo correctly detecting the hardware. The tuners didn't pick up some of the channels. Had to put the 4Tb storage drive back into the old 14.04 server and eat humble pie.

Tuners weren't a major problem, but the playback was, sigh
Old 8th February 2017, 11:02 PM   #5739
kreegor

Is anyone else not getting full data from shepherd? Channel 10 seems to be the worst hit for me. Shepherd is only pulling 58% of data apparently.

EDIT: Also when I try and load the backend setup it crashes before the interface even comes up. I get a prompt to enter a password to stop the service, then another to start it again before being asked if I want to run mythfilldatabase.

Last edited by kreegor; 9th February 2017 at 11:44 AM.
kreegor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2017, 6:03 PM   #5740
daehenoc

I am getting all data still - try mv .shepherd .shepherd_old and reinstall shepherd?
Old 11th February 2017, 5:59 PM   #5741
daehenoc

Aw, I got so close! Got the backend all working with all the required channels, got the frontend VAAPI working, had stereo sound to the TV via HDMI, and that stereo sound passed successfully from the TV to the amp via the digital SPDIF optical fiber out, but the TV won't pass Dolby or DTS to the stereo

There are devices that strip/pull an SPDIF optical signal off a HDMI connection, right? The old frontend has an actual SPDIF optical out which goes straight to the amp, so I don't have this problem with the old frontend :/

Here's what I bought: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/162293957268

Last edited by daehenoc; 11th February 2017 at 9:25 PM.
Old 12th February 2017, 3:56 PM   #5742
kreegor

Quote:
I am getting all data still - try mv .shepherd .shepherd_old and reinstall shepherd?
Still patchy data for channel 10, most of it is missing with large sections completely blank. I might try rebuilding as I'm having issues with heaps of other stuff (e.g. mythtv-backend and setup).
Old 12th February 2017, 8:12 PM   #5743
daehenoc

Fingers crossed - but there may be some underlying issue if you have problems with other components as well.

I've redone my channels in QLD, Brisbane, and reconfigured shepherd, and found that there's no guide data for SBS VICELAND, 31 Digital or ABC ME - is this something wrong with shepherd, or something wrong with the user
Old 20th February 2017, 6:59 PM   #5744
kreegor

It's still borked.
This is my history output.

Quote:
History: 5h56m ago (48.65%), 1d4h59m ago (49.46%), 2d3h56m ago (54.45%),
3d2h52m ago (54.48%), 4d1h56m ago (54.43%), 5d54m ago (54.05%),
5d23h53m ago (54.49%), 6d22h54m ago (54.49%), 7d21h51m ago (54.86%),
8d20h51m ago (54.78%), 9d19h55m ago (54.75%), 10d20h7m ago (54.54%).
And this for my status.

Quote:
Enabled/
Grabber Version Ready Last Run Status
--------------- ------- ----- ---------- -------------------------------------
oztivo 2.62 Y/Y 6:08pm 17ch/524pr/363hrs Sun19Feb-Tue21Feb
sbsweb 5.04 Y/Y 6:07pm 4ch/162pr/95hrs Mon20Feb-Tue21Feb
rex 10.0.0 Y/Y 6:07pm 0ch/0pr/0hrs no-data
foxtel_swf 5.00 Y/Y 6:07pm 3ch/137pr/89hrs Mon20Feb-Tue21Feb
yahoo7widget 2.44 Y/Y 6:06pm 0ch/0pr/0hrs no-data
acctv_website 0.09 Y/Y -
zaxmltv 0.03 Y/Y -

Last edited by kreegor; 20th February 2017 at 7:02 PM.
Old 20th February 2017, 7:51 PM   #5745
daehenoc

Hm, I don't know - try posting to the shepherd-list@googlegroups.com and see if anyone there has a suggestion.