Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Audio Visual

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 5th October 2011, 2:56 PM   #16
timsarg

i was with them for around 6 years . After upgrading to the hd iq box i was unhappy with the lack of content . I was put on a open contract for $40 a month which i was happy with . They then put me up to $90 and i told them to stick it . They wouldn't give me a decent contract and due to being able to download anything on foxtel and watch it i cancelled the contract .

personally i dont think foxtel is worth it as the HD content is just repeated over and over again . Not enough new content for my liking and too many adds .

Foxtel in the old days used to be about the program and then a chunk of adds,now it's just like watching free to air .

If foxtel brought in a plan say $30 a month for the foxtel licence and then for say $2 a channel you can choose the exact channels you want and nothing more i would probably reconsider as i only ever watched sports channels, history and discovery channels.
timsarg is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 5th October 2011, 10:43 PM   #17
Gus the Mus

1 IQ2 box
1 IQ box
All channels including HD except for movies and sport.

We've been paying $100/month.
Cancelled it last weekend and they offered on the spot to drop it to $80 but we said no.
Received a call yesterday with an offer to continue with the same package for $57/month. It was hard, but still said no. Just been and invested in two media players with dual tuners.
Gus the Mus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2011, 10:56 PM   #18
Beanz

Wow.. I didn't realiuze Foxtel was so expensive! I can't believe people are paying upwards for $200 per month!

Really makes the time I spend moving a few files around in Windows explorer worth while!
Beanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2011, 11:11 PM   #19
Vladdo

I think with the advent of freeview there's little reason to get foxtel anymore, unless you have small kids or like sports. I know my wife would had no hesitation in cancelling it if she has to pay for it.
Old 6th October 2011, 7:24 AM   #20
FFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanz View Post
Wow.. I didn't realiuze Foxtel was so expensive! I can't believe people are paying upwards for $200 per month!

Really makes the time I spend moving a few files around in Windows explorer worth while!
I'd say most people use it for sports, the other programs on there are good if you've got an hour to kill and want to watch something interesting (doco channels, tlc, etc).

Live sport > downloading it 3 days later when you already know the score.
FFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2011, 8:34 AM   #21
Beanz

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFC View Post
I'd say most people use it for sports, the other programs on there are good if you've got an hour to kill and want to watch something interesting (doco channels, tlc, etc).

Live sport > downloading it 3 days later when you already know the score.
Yep, well that makes alot of sense. That being the case, I wonder if you can just get a sports package..

Sorry OP, I'll stop this thread hijack now.
Beanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2011, 9:39 AM   #22
Stooge007 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus the Mus View Post
1 IQ2 box
1 IQ box
All channels including HD except for movies and sport.

We've been paying $100/month.
Cancelled it last weekend and they offered on the spot to drop it to $80 but we said no.
Received a call yesterday with an offer to continue with the same package for $57/month. It was hard, but still said no. Just been and invested in two media players with dual tuners.
very useful information

thanks

www.precisetaxsolutions.com.au
Stooge007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2011, 11:59 AM   #23
Stooge007 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanz View Post
Yep, well that makes alot of sense. That being the case, I wonder if you can just get a sports package..

Sorry OP, I'll stop this thread hijack now.
you can get the basic package + sports for like $50 a month

i don't think you can get sports only (wish you could!)

www.precisetaxsolutions.com.au
Stooge007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2011, 1:47 PM   #24
samo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stooge007 View Post
you can get the basic package + sports for like $50 a month

i don't think you can get sports only (wish you could!)
I think if Foxtel did a sports only package for $30ish a month, pretty much every household in australia with a male living there would have a subscription.

it's a pity this type of subscription is not available. Most of the people I know who dont have foxtel always say things like they would get it if they could only get doco channels, or only get movies, only sport etc etc.
samo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2011, 1:54 PM   #25
jerry7

Quote:
Originally Posted by samo View Post
I think if Foxtel did a sports only package for $30ish a month, pretty much every household in australia with a male living there would have a subscription.

it's a pity this type of subscription is not available. Most of the people I know who dont have foxtel always say things like they would get it if they could only get doco channels, or only get movies, only sport etc etc.
This, this and this some more. I don't understand the logic for not doing this. $30 a month for just sports alone would be a huge market. I have a huge rant about this a couple of times a year.
jerry7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2011, 1:55 PM   #26
T1tan

was paying 76/mo for a standard + hd + docos + scifi/comedy/etc package channels.

When I move again I'll be doing the same - the only sport I'm really interested in is F1, which is on channel one anyway.
Old 6th October 2011, 3:08 PM   #27
mrayner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry7 View Post
This, this and this some more. I don't understand the logic for not doing this. $30 a month for just sports alone would be a huge market. I have a huge rant about this a couple of times a year.
Yeah I don't have pay TV, but if they had this... I would find it hard to say no...
mrayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2011, 3:14 PM   #28
timsarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by samo View Post

yup they keep ringing me up trying to get me to signup again and each time i tell them don't bother me until you have a basic flat fee of say $25 a month and then allow me to chose a channel for a small amount . Until then don't bother trying to get me to reconnect .
timsarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2011, 11:13 PM   #29
Guardian452

1 IQ2 box
Sports HD package (Get Started, Drama & Lifestyle, Kids & Music, Knowledge & Adventure, Sports and HD)
$80/mth

Trick is to do the "I'm gonna cancel....poor value etc, plenty of other fish now - FetchTV, Freeview, online content providers etc etc" dance. They wont do it on the spot, they'll get their cancellations department to call back after a day or 2. They'll also seem to only offer a deal for 6 months, so at the end of that period you have to call them up and dance again, otherwise they'll revert to the standard tote.

I'm on my 3rd 6 month cycle at the moment. Firstly they did the same package as I now am on for $72/mth, 2nd cycle I got the a HD Gold package for $88/mth (same channels as above + 1 movie pack).

YMMV of course.
Guardian452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2011, 11:59 PM   #30
broccoli

I've always said I'd get Foxtel if they let you pick what you want. I don't want sports and the kids channels and things like that. I'd just want movies and like the british comedies and whatever, but the movies seem to be the last thing you can get and you have to pay for everything else to have it. If you could just get a basic package and choose your channels it'd be better, but I'm not forking out $100 a month. It's too expensive when there's plenty you can watch on free to air or dvd.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankari View Post
I expected this to be bad, but they really put the effort in and took it to a whole new level of atrocious.
broccoli is online now   Reply With Quote