Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > Retro & Arcade

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 22nd June 2017, 2:54 PM   #5401
shane41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciby View Post

I cleaned out a bunch of stuff from a coworkers shed. I came away with a dual P166 server, a dual P3 slot 1 server, a whole bunch of random parts and so on (including about 80 sticks of 72pin DIMMs).. and a lot of dust in the servers.
Nice.
Haha ...........might be a bit rude that picture.
shane41 is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 22nd June 2017, 3:09 PM   #5402
bYrd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hater View Post
4) Source a 1.5Ghz mainboard and get the laptop running
5) Source a 1.66Ghz mainboard from a 15" and attempt to move the 1.66Ghz CPU + north bridge and memory controller to the current 1.33Ghz board. If that fails (which I am assuming it will), move the 512MB onboard memory to the 1.5Ghz board.
Replacing the motherboard on a 12" Powerbook is something you might regret starting - it really is a painful exercise, and considerably more complex than fixing up other laptops. Reflowing the CPU/northbridge is another bag of hurt and you might have better luck researching PLL/multiplier settings to overclock the 1.33Ghz CPU to 1.5 - 1.6Ghz. Keep in mind also that some G4 desktops/PowerBooks have a chipset limitation on RAM sizes. Also remember the G4 CPU is starved for bandwidth so overclocking doesn't really result in significantly better real world performance. A new SSD would be your best bet to boost performance, initially.

The best place I've found for info on PowerBook overclocking is Mac Bidoulle French forums:

http://forum.macbidouille.com/

JB

Last edited by bYrd; 22nd June 2017 at 3:12 PM.
bYrd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2017, 3:42 PM   #5403
Matthew kane

Agreed, I'd personally wouldn't bother putting all those extra investments into the Powerbook. Just max out the ram, throw in an SSD (bandwidth limited) and change the battery cells.
Intel i7 3960X @ 4.7GHZ - Noctua NH-D14 | 16GB OCZ Platinum Series DDR3 1600MHZ | Asus Rampage IV Extreme (4901 bios) | PNY GTX465 unlocked to 470 | Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatality Pro with LME47920's opamps | OCZ Vertex 3 240GB | OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB| 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Green, 4 x 2TB Seagate LP | Enermax Revolution 85+ 1250watt | Antec P280 + Veris Elite | LG BD Rewriter
Matthew kane is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2017, 6:38 PM   #5404
Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciby View Post
Seriously, even when almost 10 years old, they're still great. I bought an MBP in 2007 (which still runs), and as spares, I've had a few 2008 models given to me for parts. They all still work fairly well, even better with an SSD onboard.
The PowerBook keyboard is a step above the MacBook keyboards. They're amazing. 2006 keyboards were definitely a downgrade.

As for swapping 12" mainboards, been there, done that. I bought an 867Mhz jigger brand new back in the day. It ended up as a 1.25 before I sold it!

It's all jumpered onboard for timings and such, running a 1.66 on a 1.33 board will effectively underclock the 1.66. It's all just experimentation, I don't expect it to work.
Hater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:05 AM   #5405
badmofo

I'm feeling quite pleased with myself today after discovering the existence of ‘speaker output’ to ‘line output’ converters. I’m in the process of setting up my nerd station in our new home office and was umming and ahhing about including my circa 1993 Sharp all-in-one sound system, which I found NIB a little while back:

The issue I was having was a) the wife-eyebrow-raising size of the thing, and b) it sounded like arse. But it occurred to me that I had it sitting next to my main PC’s 2.1 speaker setup, which sounds brilliant, so I could kill 2 birds with one stone by ditching the provided speakers and using the 2.1’s (which happened to have an AUX input on the sub). The only challenge was the lack of output on the Sharp, but Jaycar came to the rescue with this thingo for 15 bucks:

https://www.jaycar.com.au/speaker-hi...erter/p/AA0482

I’m no audiophile but it sounds fantastic to my ears – my 2.1’s are way too heavy on the bass by default but the Sharp has an equalizer so that was easy fixed.

Last edited by badmofo; Yesterday at 10:13 AM.
badmofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:41 PM   #5406
nimmers

This was my retro activity for the week: http://www.twingalaxies.com/showthre...00-Evan-Weston
nimmers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:31 PM   #5407
callan

Default Vic20 restoration

It is finished!!

From THIS.

To THIS

I failed in one regard: the "Shift lock" key movement could not be salvaged. The operation (to repair the torn contact) was successful but the patient died (membrane switch shorted out). There are two other shift keys, so I've let that one slide for now. I actually suspect it was shorted out already, as the flyleads to it had already been cut.
The keyboard repair sunk most of my time. In the end 10 PCB tracks were torn by (presumably) student violence and bridged/repaired, and another 8 vias had to be made to repair damage done by previous ignorant, ham fisted repair. The movement is now buttery smooth and contacts reliable (took 3 goes to get the conductive rubber contacts %100)

The below keyboard test made me most pleased.

Now for a bit of COSMIC AVENGER!

So I have a museum piece, daily driver and a spare in my VIC20 collection. I think that's probably enough, now.

Callan

"I don't like this internet thing anymore, can we have the old version back please?" - BlueRaven

Last edited by callan; Yesterday at 11:31 PM.
callan is offline   Reply With Quote