Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > Storage & Backup

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 20th June 2017, 5:11 PM   #16
Sphinx2000

I had a Synology NAS report issues with a Red the other week and developed a couple of bad sectors after 385 days, but S.M.A.R.T test said everything was fine.
Took it back to the supplier (Computer Alliance) who tested it on the bench and supplied a warranty (3 years) replacement no questions asked.
Sphinx2000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 2nd July 2017, 12:02 AM   #17
callan Thread Starter

AAAnd ANOTHER WD RED 4TB disk - much older (23,000 Power on hours) in my DS415+ started logging errors - that's 3 out of 6 that I've purchased. DSM had to map them out and recover from RAID5 parity this time. DSM is logging it as a warning, not failure but I tire of this.

With the nasty timebomb my 415+ has become with the Intel C2000 processor defect I'm considering an upgrade to something that has hardware transcoding, dropping PLEX on it and tossing enough HGST disks in it to have hotspare capability. Then I'll put this one out to pasture and sell off my 212+. Had it with these drives.

Callan

"I don't like this internet thing anymore, can we have the old version back please?" - BlueRaven

Last edited by callan; 3rd July 2017 at 7:54 PM.
callan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2017, 8:13 AM   #18
davros123

Default Ain't misbehavin' - No it is. WD RED issue

That's a pain. Were they all one batch? (Ie seq. serial numbers).

My mate has has now had 5 of his 10 drives go south - one every few months (all replaced under warranty). All were bought at the same time (5TB). He's on z2, so no loss but Very worrying all the same.

I'm still rocking 10 x 3TB HGST's from 2011 at preflood price of $140ea. Rare occasion that something worked out well in my life! I really need to swap them out as they are well past their use by date but what to buy that will as reliable?
yeah well I just reported my own post...ferk....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinky View Post
If you have become content with the size of your e-penis, sticking clear of rack mounted stuff will save you heaps of $$$.
davros123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2017, 9:36 AM   #19
callan Thread Starter

The first two that failed were purchased at the same time and, presumably were from the same batch. They failed early: within about 9 months of purchase.
This latest one is well over 2 years old and had until now, like it's 3 bretheren (it's in a 4 disk array) been error free. These errors came up during a monthly array scrub, which just goes to show that the price of peace(of mind) is eternal vigilance - with apologies to John Curran

Callan

"I don't like this internet thing anymore, can we have the old version back please?" - BlueRaven
callan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2017, 5:51 PM   #20
mooboyj

Quote:
Originally Posted by davros123 View Post
That's a pain. Were they all one batch? (Ie seq. serial numbers).

My mate has has now had 5 of his 10 drives go south - one every few months (all replaced under warranty). All were bought at the same time (5TB). He's on z2, so no loss but Very worrying all the same.

I'm still rocking 10 x 3TB HGST's from 2011 at preflood price of $140ea. Rare occasion that something worked out well in my life! I really need to swap them out as they are well past their use by date but what to buy that will as reliable?
I still have 2TB Hitachi Coolspins bought for $89 pre Thai floods rocking along without issue. I have bought newer drives since (three), two of them have been RMA'd...
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation" Adolf Hitler Stephen Conroy
mooboyj is offline   Reply With Quote