Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > Networking, Telephony & Internet

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old Yesterday, 5:24 PM   #1111
caspian

and again... have you read the article?

Please do not contact me directly for advice on NBN related issues. Your ISP is your contact point for support. If they can't or more likely won't help you, why are you rewarding them with your business?
caspian is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old Yesterday, 6:50 PM   #1112
frankgobbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by caspian View Post
and again... have you read the article?

Yes, and nowhere does it say another $8 will be the difference between contention and no contention. It says an extra $9 a user will increase the available total bandwidth from 1 to 3mbps. So 3x the bandwidth, great; so instead of 5mbps peak hour it's 15. It's better, it's not the 100 people are paying for.

"He said assuming a carrier was dimensioning just less than 1000kb (CVC allocation per client), then they would be paying at a rate of $15 per 1000kb, which worked out to $15.00 per client.

"If they were to raise this to 3000kb, they would be paying just $8.25 per 1000kb, so $24.75 per client - an increase of just $9.75. So to increase the amount of CVC by three times would cost just $9.75 per month to the carrier."

There's also a lot of assumption in there.
frankgobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 7:02 PM   #1113
caspian

are you getting 1Mbps now during peak hour? no, you're getting considerably more, because not everyone downloads at the same time. what we are talking about is average peak usage.

these people run ISP businesses. they know their business, and well.

Please do not contact me directly for advice on NBN related issues. Your ISP is your contact point for support. If they can't or more likely won't help you, why are you rewarding them with your business?
caspian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 7:16 PM   #1114
Pemalite

I did "Pre-Order" my connection.
And my area is supposed to be switched on tomorrow?

So hopefully tomorrow is the NBN day.

Can't wait to leave behind the 5Mbps world, I am over it.
Old Yesterday, 7:40 PM   #1115
frankgobbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by caspian View Post
are you getting 1Mbps now during peak hour? no, you're getting considerably more, because not everyone downloads at the same time. what we are talking about is average peak usage.

these people run ISP businesses. they know their business, and well.
Yup. Launtel is the juggernaut of the ISP business.

The problem is, the 'real' ISPs are already buying in as much bulk as they can to get the prices rock bottom; but they STILL put in more customers than the CVC can take, because it's how they make a profit.

Maybe a small ISP has an option of a few bucks a user more for more bandwidth, but you can bet your bottom dollar companies like TPG (who own iiNet, Internode etc) are already buying for the cheapest price.

You also missed my point entirely. I wasn't saying people get 1 mbps now; but even if you were right, 3x certainly doesn't guarantee you'll get the speed you pay for. If, during peak hour, you get 1/3 or less of the speed of your plan, 3x still won't deliver full speed.
frankgobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 7:41 PM   #1116
chip

At the risk of back seat modding, the CVC derails detract from the thread because they go nowhere, repeatedly. The technical posts about actual VDSL connections and the connection process are really informative and interesting.
chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 7:58 PM   #1117
Recharge

I'm british on my mum's side and think most aussies and aussie culture in general is just absolutely degenerate.
Recharge is offline   Reply With Quote