Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Holidays & Travel

Notices


Sign up for a free OCAU account and this ad will go away!
Search our forums with Google:
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 13th May 2013, 6:33 PM   #1501
nordica-k2
(Banned or Deleted)
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: 127.0.0.1
Posts: 645
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlokk View Post
Google maps on iPhone is awesome (I imagine on android is similar). Look at the areas you want to go to on your phone and zoom in to the detail needed. Then when out and about, it'll keep the maps cached and use the GPS to put you on the dot with no data required (although data is better if you can get it of course!).

Had it clear the maps once or twice but for the most part it worked perfect when I didn't have the Internet.
Nokia's city lens / maps is pretty damn good also
nordica-k2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 13th May 2013, 6:34 PM   #1502
beardedgeek
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 405
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlokk View Post
Google maps on iPhone is awesome (I imagine on android is similar). Look at the areas you want to go to on your phone and zoom in to the detail needed. Then when out and about, it'll keep the maps cached and use the GPS to put you on the dot with no data required (although data is better if you can get it of course!).

Had it clear the maps once or twice but for the most part it worked perfect when I didn't have the Internet.
Yea with smart phones these days it's a real treat. And if you are taking a taxi somewhere ask the hotel to write down the directions for the driver if possible, both to and from the hotel. They can also work off phone numbers with reverse look ups in their gps in most cabs.
beardedgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2013, 6:36 PM   #1503
Taceo Corpus
Member
 
Taceo Corpus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Posts: 3,247
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordica-k2 View Post
Nokia's city lens / maps is pretty damn good also
Yeah, it's a pity that their Japan maps are shit though. Was so disappointed when I went over there with my Lumia.
__________________
Travel & Photo Blog: http://www.dfcowell.net RSS
Taceo Corpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2013, 6:56 PM   #1504
beardedgeek
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 405
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taceo Corpus View Post
Ah, see, you'll find that all over the world. Literally the only maps you can trust for distance are the big fold-out citywide maps that show streets. Same goes here in Australia, in the US and in Europe.

I always carry both, the transit maps or attraction maps and a citywide road map. If you were putting a map on a business card, you could hardly do it to scale, the card would have to be huge! Same goes for most brochures, they need to break scale to fit it into the available space.
USA I didn't see the same issue, atleast on the west coast were I was. The scale of tokyo normally stops city wide maps being pratical, although I did have 1 map I got in a small guide book that was terrific till it fell apart on the 3rd trip over. The missing landmarks makes overlaying the tourist maps very perilous though, Major streets and freeways are often left out, so going 3 major unlabled streets from the station should be going 8 steets from the station.

The last business card map was fairly sparse and had missing traffic lights that would have fitted in the map. So many dark alleys till we finally found the right one .
The one advantage is though locals will be helpful and half time we found would insist on taking us to the destination.
beardedgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2013, 6:30 AM   #1505
richard0296
Member
 
richard0296's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: sydney city
Posts: 2,521
Default

hi gang,

wanting to fly into Osaka/Tokyo in feb for 2 1/2 weeks with the mrs, how often do flights go on sale?

I've gone back 10 pages on ozbargain travel page and have only seen the 1 sale (which was fucking amazing mind you)
richard0296 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2013, 6:42 AM   #1506
Disco_Stu
Member
 
Disco_Stu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Ipswich, Qld
Posts: 580
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard0296 View Post
hi gang,

wanting to fly into Osaka/Tokyo in feb for 2 1/2 weeks with the mrs, how often do flights go on sale?

I've gone back 10 pages on ozbargain travel page and have only seen the 1 sale (which was fucking amazing mind you)
Sign up to jetstar's email list, I've seen them on sale for around $500 each return from gold coast twice in a year already. They likely have similar from Sydney?
__________________
"...one of the strongest motives that lead men to art and science is escape from everyday life with its painful crudity and hopeless dreariness, from the fetters of one's own ever-shifting desires. A finely tempered nature longs to escape from the personal life into the world of objective perception and thought." - Albert Einstein
Disco_Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2013, 11:42 AM   #1507
nordica-k2
(Banned or Deleted)
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: 127.0.0.1
Posts: 645
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco_Stu View Post
Sign up to jetstar's email list, I've seen them on sale for around $500 each return from gold coast twice in a year already. They likely have similar from Sydney?
Got any links for this? That's damn cheap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taceo Corpus View Post
Yeah, it's a pity that their Japan maps are shit though. Was so disappointed when I went over there with my Lumia.

ah lame! - will hopefully be back on IOS or Fandroid by the time I head over next year.

Although seeing how complex it appears on google maps, im not looking forward to using it anyway :/[/QUOTE]

Last edited by nordica-k2; 14th May 2013 at 11:48 AM.
nordica-k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2013, 12:02 PM   #1508
Disco_Stu
Member
 
Disco_Stu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Ipswich, Qld
Posts: 580
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordica-k2 View Post
Got any links for this? That's damn cheap!




ah lame! - will hopefully be back on IOS or Fandroid by the time I head over next year.

Although seeing how complex it appears on google maps, im not looking forward to using it anyway :/
[/QUOTE]

I've looked through my emails and can't find anything other than they came up for sale right around Christmas time (may have been boxing day sales). I was signed up to jetstar and webjet email outs. It costed $542 each, with one of us taking checked baggage.
The next special was: This year, on Feb 14th, there was: Japan 2 for 1 Sale On Now!:


Japan 2 - for - 1 economy fares on sale

Price for 1 passenger booking a sale Starter fare^ (column 1)
Price for 2 passengers booking a sale Starter fare^ (column 2)

Cairns Osaka From $189.50 From $379
Cairns Tokyo(Narita) From $204.50 From $409
Gold Coast Tokyo(Narita) From $239.50 From $479
Gold Coast Osaka From $239.50 From $479
Melbourne (Tullamarine) Osaka From $299.00 From $598
Via Gold Coast Sydney Osaka From $259.50 From $519
Via Gold Coast Melbourne Tullamarine) Tokyo(Narita) From $299.00
From $598
Via Gold Coast Sydney Tokyo(Narita) From $259.50 From $519


The sale only lasted 5 days, and they sell out relatively quickly. so when they come up, have your money ready, and your calendar open to select the cheap flights/days.

Good luck!
__________________
"...one of the strongest motives that lead men to art and science is escape from everyday life with its painful crudity and hopeless dreariness, from the fetters of one's own ever-shifting desires. A finely tempered nature longs to escape from the personal life into the world of objective perception and thought." - Albert Einstein
Disco_Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2013, 12:18 PM   #1509
nordica-k2
(Banned or Deleted)
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: 127.0.0.1
Posts: 645
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco_Stu View Post

I've looked through my emails and can't find anything other than they came up for sale right around Christmas time (may have been boxing day sales). I was signed up to jetstar and webjet email outs. It costed $542 each, with one of us taking checked baggage.
The next special was: This year, on Feb 14th, there was: Japan 2 for 1 Sale On Now!:


Japan 2 - for - 1 economy fares on sale

Price for 1 passenger booking a sale Starter fare^ (column 1)
Price for 2 passengers booking a sale Starter fare^ (column 2)

Cairns Osaka From $189.50 From $379
Cairns Tokyo(Narita) From $204.50 From $409
Gold Coast Tokyo(Narita) From $239.50 From $479
Gold Coast Osaka From $239.50 From $479
Melbourne (Tullamarine) Osaka From $299.00 From $598
Via Gold Coast Sydney Osaka From $259.50 From $519
Via Gold Coast Melbourne Tullamarine) Tokyo(Narita) From $299.00
From $598
Via Gold Coast Sydney Tokyo(Narita) From $259.50 From $519


The sale only lasted 5 days, and they sell out relatively quickly. so when they come up, have your money ready, and your calendar open to select the cheap flights/days.

Good luck!

Ah ok legend! This just confirms my seat for next year then....

Thanks for getting me phsyched up.. now I have to wait 6-7 Months


nordica-k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2013, 12:22 PM   #1510
Disco_Stu
Member
 
Disco_Stu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Ipswich, Qld
Posts: 580
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordica-k2 View Post
Ah ok legend! This just confirms my seat for next year then....

Thanks for getting me phsyched up.. now I have to wait 6-7 Months


Sorry, Last year when I heard the new Dragon Ball Z movie was coming out on the 30th March, I said to the wife that I was going if Jetstar had another cheap sale like they did in previous years. I stressed for months wondering if it was ever going to come again. Then it showed up right around Christmas!!

When I see the sales again, i'm going to see if I can wrangle another trip too
__________________
"...one of the strongest motives that lead men to art and science is escape from everyday life with its painful crudity and hopeless dreariness, from the fetters of one's own ever-shifting desires. A finely tempered nature longs to escape from the personal life into the world of objective perception and thought." - Albert Einstein
Disco_Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2013, 7:53 AM   #1511
chainbolt Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 100,517
Default

For those who are currently in Tokyo: This weekend the "Sanja Matsuri" in Asakusa takes place.

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3063.html

Probably the biggest matsuri in Japan, attracting between 1.5 to 2 million visitors every year.
chainbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2013, 1:02 AM   #1512
occxlr8ed
Member
 
occxlr8ed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 2,499
Default

Where do i want to stay in Tokyo? ie. which area?

Found a nice deal on the:
"Akasaka Excel Hotel Tokyu"
Comments?

Preferably want to be in the 'center of it all' if you know what i mean?! Last time i do remember staying in Shinjuku and seemed to be a great central location?!

We'll be in Tokyo for 7 days and Osaka for 4 days

And if anyone knows of any special pricing if possible, as i'm booking for 10 persons let me know!

Cheers
__________________
Canon 1D Mk3, Canon 5d Mk2 | Canon 24mm/1.4L, 50mm/1.2L, 135mm/2L, 16-35mm/2.8L II, 28-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS | 550ex, 580ex II
Check out my photos here: http://www.jonnoyeo.com

Last edited by occxlr8ed; 16th May 2013 at 1:05 AM.
occxlr8ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2013, 8:58 AM   #1513
chainbolt Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 100,517
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by occxlr8ed View Post
Where do i want to stay in Tokyo? ie. which area?

Found a nice deal on the:
"Akasaka Excel Hotel Tokyu"
Comments?

Preferably want to be in the 'center of it all' if you know what i mean?! Last time i do remember staying in Shinjuku and seemed to be a great central location?!

We'll be in Tokyo for 7 days and Osaka for 4 days

And if anyone knows of any special pricing if possible, as i'm booking for 10 persons let me know!

Cheers
I don't know this specific hotel, but the Tokyu chain is known for good service for reasonable prices. I have stayed at Tokyu hotels for business trips very often. The location in Akasaka is very central, from there you can reach other places easily. But Akasaka isn't comparable with Shinjuku or Shibuya, it's more an office and government area, very close to the Diet building and the PM's office.
chainbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2013, 11:49 AM   #1514
ReKleSS
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Osaka, Japan
Posts: 121
Default

Regarding maps, it used to be possible to download map sections for offline use in Google Maps, but once the feature left Labs it was disabled in a few countries, probably due to licensing restrictions. OSMAnd lets you download entire countries' worth of Open Street Map data so you can get around without a data connection, but it's not as slick as Google Maps.

Managed to get an apartment in Osaka right next to the castle, about $620/mo furnished. Bringing my bike here was a massive pain - Shin-Imamiya station has too many damn stairs to be lugging a 27kg, very awkward bag down. On the other hand, it's great for getting around, hauling shopping and riding to Nara.
First attempt didn't go so well.

A proper hill! Not many of those around Melbourne...

... Oh. Yes, a proper hill. 20% grade for a few KM, I turned back and burnt about 2 weeks worth of brake pad on the descent. Saw a Mini along the way that had gotten caught in the gutter on the side of the road.

Next attempt went via the flatter (6-10% grade) Hanna Road.


Legs were cramping horribly on the way home. Good thing the city is flat and I can cruise along the footpath.


These things are sloooow - Honda Motocompo, designed to fit in the back of a Honda Fit or something. It's very weird looking back over my shoulder and seeing a motorbike chasing me.


Finding somewhere secure to park my bike is always a pain, I'm not happy leaving it with just the wheel locked like the locals do. And after I find a decent location, this happens.
ReKleSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2013, 12:47 PM   #1515
chainbolt Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 100,517
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReKleSS View Post
Managed to get an apartment in Osaka right next to the castle, about $620/mo furnished.
Wow, not bad! I guess it's the standard "rabbit hatch" 1LDK thing, but at this place: That's a good price!
chainbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Sign up for a free OCAU account and this ad will go away!

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time now is 11:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
OCAU is not responsible for the content of individual messages posted by others.
Other content copyright Overclockers Australia.
OCAU is hosted by Micron21!