OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Holidays & Travel

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 29th May 2012, 12:27 PM   #16
Orphan

Quote:
Originally Posted by chainbolt View Post
You consider visiting Japan? I offer advice and information! Ask me.
I was wanting to head over mid-late march to catch the cherry blossoms, festivals, night markets etc and travel around a bit. Is that time of year actually a good time to travel? While I want to check out some of the cities I also want to see the country side, mountians and hit up a real hot spring.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraggle View Post
First night was Fuji, picked up a MX5 and drove up to Kamikochi (had to park in town and catch a bus into the reserve). Open top roadster and Japanese country-side =
Any idea what the car rental situation is in Japan regarding age? I wanted to hit up New Zealand and rent a roadster for a week and drive the south island but no roadster rentals will rent to an under 25.

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 29th May 2012, 12:43 PM   #17
moist.au
(Banned or Deleted)

Next Feb/March I am doing Ten days in Thailand, followed by six days in Vietnam, then off to Japan to hit the slopes for a few weeks.

My main question revolves around money required, since I'll be visiting a couple of SEA countries before Japan, I would imagine Japan would be quite expensive in comparison. I plan on snowboarding for ten days, before hitting up Tokyo for the remaining six or seven days. Approximately how much spending money will I need?
moist.au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2012, 7:07 PM   #18
Fraggle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orphan View Post
Any idea what the car rental situation is in Japan regarding age? I wanted to hit up New Zealand and rent a roadster for a week and drive the south island but no roadster rentals will rent to an under 25.
Not too sure sorry, I'm about over the hill (34 ) so didn't pay much attention to age restrictions. Was pretty much hassle free tho, only annoyance was having to get an international permit from NRMA (in NSW, different for each state afaik). Searched around the station on Google Maps for レンタカー and then searched up prices etc. (ended up booking through the europcar.jp website) MX5 was quite expensive (NC), nearly AU$700 for 4 days. Smarter choice would have been a Mazda 2 or so for about $260 but personally I enjoyed it so much I would definitely do it all over again without a second thought If you use the Japanese websites and can't read Japanese (like me!), highly recommend using the Google Translate script at http://translate.google.com/translate_tools (drag the English box at the bottom to your favourites bar/list).

Heading to NZ this August and looked at getting one there too, unfortunately going in a very large group of friends/extended friends so I've resisted the urge and decided to just go with the flow. Was only looking for Christchurch to Queenstown pickups/drop-off but ended up choosing direct to Queenstown so haven't persued it much further. If memory serves, there's only one or two places that do MX5s in that area.
MACH5 :: i3 530 :: P7H55D-M PRO :: 4GB Dominator :: SS-560KM :: U2311H
Fraggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2012, 7:26 PM   #19
TERRA Operative

It's a long way away, bit I'm planning to head over for a working holiday in about 18 months time.
I have a Japanese sister in law who will be giving me a crash course in conversational Japanese, but I'm wondering what sort of work would be available to a foreigner who somewhat speaks Japanese?

I'm an electrician by trade, and can do just about anything I guess.
Old 29th May 2012, 7:34 PM   #20
Raptor_Eye

well work is sending me over to our Asian offices for a week (Hong Kong, Beijing China and Tokyo Japan) i have the option between all 3 to have a couple of days for personal time.

Assuming you have been to all 3, where would you recommend i spend my leisure time?
Main PC: Core i7 3770k @ 4.5 GHZ (CM TPC 812)-ASUS P8Z77-V PRO-16GB Corsair Vengeance LP-XFX RX480 8GB-Crucial 512GB SSD, 600GB WD VelociRaptor, 640GB WD Black, 2TB WD GP, 3TB WD GP, 4TB WD GP-Silverstone Strider 850W Gold-Silverstone FT02B-Dell U2711 1440p-Auzentech X-Fi Prelude-Audio Technica A900-Edifier Studio Speakers-Razer DeathAdder Black Edition-Microsoft Reclusa
Raptor_Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2012, 7:39 PM   #21
kangathekat
(Banned or Deleted)

Quote:
As I said, it's a subject of concern for many Japanese, those living in Fukushima or in the neighboring provinces, but also Tokyo, in particular families with small kids are concerned. In Tokyo however, as I said, due to the fact that suddenly many people are checking their neighborhoods, a few radiation sources were found that had nothing to do with Fukushima, but have been in place for decades - unnoticed.

Here you have such case: Setagaya Radiation “Hot Spot” – Not From Fukushima
wow very interesting thanks for the info, if thats been around for decades and no one has noticed and no real effects to note i suppose most of japan other then the major hotspots close to Fukushima should be ok to travel in.

thanks.
kangathekat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2012, 8:12 PM   #22
thetron

Quote:
You consider visiting Japan? I offer advice and information! Ask me.

Wonderful to be the first poster in a virgin forum.
Can I borrow the car for the weekend please?

Last edited by thetron; 29th May 2012 at 8:16 PM.
thetron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2012, 10:24 PM   #23
chainbolt Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetron View Post
Can I borrow the car for the weekend please?
If you come here, you may touch it and I give you a ride (open!) around the imperial palace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orphan View Post
I was wanting to head over mid-late march to catch the cherry blossoms, festivals, night markets etc and travel around a bit. Is that time of year actually a good time to travel? While I want to check out some of the cities I also want to see the country side, mountians and hit up a real hot spring.
Cherry blossom is a very good time. Lovely.

Cherry blossom in front of my office

Last edited by chainbolt; 29th May 2012 at 10:28 PM.
chainbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2012, 8:23 AM   #24
toopy28

Quote:
Originally Posted by darth_wolf View Post
What do you know about the abandons islands and ways of getting access to said islands?
Says on the wiki page that you can visit the Island and even states the operator that will take you there.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hashima_Island
Old 30th May 2012, 10:54 AM   #25
a777

Quote:
Originally Posted by savolion View Post
Me and the missus are looking at travelling in middle of November,

probably going to aim for about 2 weeks on the ground, looking at Tokyo & Osaka, probably Hiroshima but not 100% sure.

We also want to go up into the mountains and stay up there a few nights, anywhere you would recommend/ great places to visit?
We did a similar trip a couple of years back. Late November is a great time to travel due to the Autumn Colours (Koyo). It depends on what sort of pace you like but if you don't mind a fast pace you can cover a fair bit of ground.

Our trip was Kyoto - Hiroshima - Fukuoka - Osaka - Kanazawa - Shirakawago - Takayama - Tokyo - Kyoto

In November the Sumo is on in Fukuoka which was the main reason we went there. We stayed in a Ryokan in Kanazawa and Takayama. We also did Hakone as a day trip although you could stay overnight there in a Ryokan with onsen.

A 14-day JR Pass will pay off for the above trip.

As always, Japan-guide is one of the best places for working out any travel information on Japan.

You should read these pages
Autumn Colours (Koyo):-
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2014.html
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2014_when.html
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2014_where.html
http://www.japan-guide.com/blog/koyo11/
http://www.japan-guide.com/blog/koyo10/

If you can I'd try and arrive maybe around Nov 22 or so, although it does change a bit every year.

If you just want to do Tokyo and Kyoto/Osaka I would try and fly in and out of Kansai Airport (Osaka) and then just get a 7-day JR Pass to go to Tokyo and back. You don't have to have a pass active in and around Kyoto.

Also, some Kyoto temples have night illuminations in Autumn which are well worth visiting. Eikando, Tenjuan, Kiyomizudera, Kodaiji, Shorenin, are all very nice at night.

Note that Kyoto in particular gets very busy at this time of year so if you wish to stay in Kyoto book well in advance and sometimes you will pay a premium. Alternatively, you can day trip in from Osaka (25 min 500 yen each way). If you have a JR railpass you can even take the Shinkansen each day if your hotel is near Shin-Osaka Station (14 min).

Any questions just post.

Old 30th May 2012, 11:20 AM   #26
chainbolt Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by toopy28 View Post
Says on the wiki page that you can visit the Island and even states the operator that will take you there.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hashima_Island
But first he has to go to Nagasaki, which is not exactly at the main traveling routes.
Old 30th May 2012, 1:57 PM   #27
chainbolt Thread Starter

By the way, since May 22, Tokyo has new, major attraction:

Tokyo Sky Tree

The world's highest TV Tower and second highest structure. It has 2 observatories. The tower is fully booked until August or so, it's advisable to reserve tickets well in advance.

Last edited by chainbolt; 30th May 2012 at 3:15 PM.
Old 31st May 2012, 4:33 PM   #28
Laserlives

Am trying to decipher this sky tree. http://www.tokyo-skytree.jp/en/reservation/ It seems like you can reserve but you become part of some sort of lottery system. Even so i think you need a japanese issued credit card which you also need to present at the counter to pick up the tickets. I can't really think of a way around that last clause... Oh well
Laserlives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2012, 5:30 PM   #29
a777

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserlives View Post
Am trying to decipher this sky tree. http://www.tokyo-skytree.jp/en/reservation/ It seems like you can reserve but you become part of some sort of lottery system. Even so i think you need a japanese issued credit card which you also need to present at the counter to pick up the tickets. I can't really think of a way around that last clause... Oh well
When do you plan on going?

That is correct, the early registrations up to July 10 were done by lottery. You needed a Japanese credit card to purchase.

Same day tickets can be purchased from July 11.

You can purchase some tickets through Tobu Tours

Most of the information is better explained here:-
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3064.html

Old 31st May 2012, 6:09 PM   #30
chainbolt Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserlives View Post
Friends told me even for locals it's difficult to get a ticket currently. The tower seems to be immensely popular atm. One of the Aksakusa rishkshaw drivers told me the local community expect the initial wave to be gone in September.

I would either give it up if you come earlier, or ask a Japanese travel agency with an office on Australia, biggest one is JTB, for help.

http://www.jtboi.com.au/

By the way, I recommend visiting at night. I pass the tower every evening, the lighting is beautiful, and the view over Tokyo at night is simply overwhelming.