Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > General Topics > Overclocking & Hardware

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 31st July 2017, 4:48 PM   #151
shane41 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by newlife View Post
It's extremely hard to damage Samsung mems
They break. x1 2600 Trident exploring 2.2v +
Haha ...........might be a bit rude that picture.
shane41 is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 31st July 2017, 9:44 PM   #152
fredhoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane41 View Post
Rams can definitely be hurt. Skylake apparently likes low 60deg temps on load.
Just have some different bios profiles saved. ie x48 x50 x52 multi. Then you can easily downclock after doing a benchmark. Preserving the cpu.

Edit. As for cooling? Unknown yet just how much radiator realestate is required. Hopefully find out this week if the rams turn up
Doing a 280+420 rad on this 7700K

Welcome also Have seen you putting up scores
Cheers, I'm replacing/consolidating the old gaming rig and after reading the first post in this thread I thought I'd throw up a few bench scores while stability testing. It will be a daily driver and I don't have the luxury of spare hardware (or time / budget) to get serious unfortunately.

I've still got to optimise the ram timings so there will be a couple more scores to post before I flash a normal Bios (using Z170 Bclk OC) and fill it full of the old "servers" hdds. However I might give it another bash when the cooling is upgraded as I have 360+240 of rad in a box somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newlife View Post
It's extremely hard to damage Samsung mems
I'm more concerned with the CPUs IMC rather than the RAM ICs, that said high volts with stock heat spreaders would be less than ideal for longevity.
go soothingly on the grease mud as they're lurks a skid demon
fredhoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2017, 10:03 PM   #153
shane41 Thread Starter

Alrighty then I've infected x1 person. Huh.......

Anyways when I set on this journey I did not have many modern graphic cards. Making up for lost time alright now.

See these x2 lists
http://forum.hwbot.org/showthread.php?t=99151

Don't need to spend big. Gpu's like 8800 9800 series do well & more modern 200 series. Gtx 285's I'm doing atm, with Gtx 280's inbound soon
Of course you can find local $20-$50. Aquamark + 3Dmarks up to 06. Points for grabs. Just look for the popular ones.

Cooling. This Haswell 4790K is delided. Done with proper tool. Although only non conductive thermal paste under the hood. 12 deg drop.
OC lads in here can help you on that. Sometimes can achieve 20deg lower temp on load.
Then the cpu block. EK ones slighly better than my Koolance 370...2-5 deg there I think. Rads you want surface area & big fans.
I have a 3x 180 rad here & active fans can drop temps 6deg.

Have fun
Old 31st July 2017, 11:01 PM   #154
Paulie_AU

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredhoon View Post
What cooling do you run these volts at and have you found any issues with the CPU IMC degrading over time? If you"re running this sub-zero then I suppose the longevity question is rather moot.

The reason I ask is I have read a lot of clutter in google results about the dangers of running DDR3 on Z170 due to the high volts but then all the B-die tweaking info recommends >1.65V for high clocks with low latency.
That is for benching on Water.

Normally memory V around 1.35v for 24/7. IO and SA down about .1V from what I listed. CPU and Board dependent.

Mr_McPoo
Paulie_AU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2017, 2:46 AM   #155
Ratzz

Very disappointed that this one got 0 points in all fields...

Not sure how I can improve on this. Finally have the ram @ 4000mHz with timings @ 12-12-12-28-1T. Boosting cache makes no difference. Lowering volts makes no difference.

How to improve it? 32bit Windows? XP?
Quote:
Originally Posted by seizium View Post
I did visit the NBN van today at Westfields North Lakes, but their internet connection wasn't working so they couldn't give me any information
My Rig
Ratzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2017, 9:17 AM   #156
shane41 Thread Starter

You've got a 1827 XTU @ x52 submitted Ratzz
http://hwbot.org/submission/3600423_...00k_1827_marks

Only make points there if you beat a previous best score

Edit Or try a different popular Cpu benchmark.
OR do benchmarks with another popular Cpu in that same board

Last edited by shane41; 1st August 2017 at 9:20 AM.
Old 1st August 2017, 9:51 AM   #157
shane41 Thread Starter

You have about 35 Global points Ratzz which is good for only x3 submissions
http://hwbot.org/user/ratzz/#Points. x15 Global submissions add to your points total. So lots to do there.

Hardware points you can have x20 submissions. As you do more " better scores " the lower scores are pushed off the chart.

^ Your hardware scores above. You can still do x10 easy.

^ My hardware points. Only x1 cpu score in there. I've worked on all old 3D benchmarks with old graphic cards.
Now my Haswell is pretty strong on x51 multi ...... I did not hit big scores on my first attempts. Some maybe.

The sweetness is you can have a previous hardware score. ie 5 Say doing 8800 Ultra on 3D01........you work on improving that score
& you do a 6. That's an improvement on your total scores of x1.

Small scores count the same as big ones. But if you smash out big scores all the time, then it will be hard to beat those previous best. ie Underwhelming.

My Hardware points above. A shitty busted 8800 GTS 320mb belted 76 points out in x1 night. A piece of $2 junk I baked in the oven.

So you see the red mark. I work on doing scores above that line. Each time I do x1 better score the lower one is pushed off the chart.
7700K when it's set up should help some more to do this....I hope

Last edited by shane41; 1st August 2017 at 9:55 AM.
Old 1st August 2017, 11:23 AM   #158
Ratzz

Quote:
You've got a 1827 XTU @ x52 submitted Ratzz
http://hwbot.org/submission/3600423_...00k_1827_marks

Only make points there if you beat a previous best score

Edit Or try a different popular Cpu benchmark.
OR do benchmarks with another popular Cpu in that same board
Country cup. 50X limited. XTU submission. Those are the rules. So because I've a higher score, at a higher clock which isn't permitted in this comp,I'm wasting my time?

Fuck it, I'm out.
Quote:
I did visit the NBN van today at Westfields North Lakes, but their internet connection wasn't working so they couldn't give me any information
My Rig
Old 1st August 2017, 11:40 AM   #159
shane41 Thread Starter

November start that one iirc Ratzz. Do you mean Team Cup?
That's running now......till end September
Old 1st August 2017, 11:43 AM   #160
Ratzz

Quote:
November start that one iirc Ratzz. Do you mean Team Cup?
That's running now......till end September
Yeah sorry team cup.
Quote:
My Rig
Old 1st August 2017, 12:07 PM   #161
shane41 Thread Starter

A score will still count to Team cup Some of the benchmarks require a different member to submit a score. x3 iirc

HWbot points. This is separate to comp. So a previous best score there will override a lesser score you do now.
Old 1st August 2017, 12:50 PM   #162
cbjaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratzz View Post
Yeah sorry team cup.
you'll get competition points which are good for one year even if you don't get any hardware or global points out of it.

We were playing in Old School is Best School earlier this year and we were getting competition points out of benchmarks which normally don't get any points at all (3DMark99 Max and Cinebench 2003 are two such examples)
cbjaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2017, 2:03 PM   #163
fredhoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratzz View Post
Country cup. 50X limited. XTU submission. Those are the rules. So because I've a higher score, at a higher clock which isn't permitted in this comp,I'm wasting my time?

Fuck it, I'm out.
From my limited understanding you can re-run the bench at 5.00GHz Clock (with as much tweaking as possible) for your Team Cup submission. Time to break out TinyXP & Tiny7 on a separate SSD?

Also your global, league and team points look pretty good compared to mine, I'm flat out trying to get my XTU score to 1100!

36/59/56 - http://hwbot.org/user/ratzz/#Points
4/29/13 - http://hwbot.org/user/fredhoon/#Points
go soothingly on the grease mud as they're lurks a skid demon
fredhoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2017, 2:04 PM   #164
Ratzz

I don't have any points in this cup that I'm aware of. The score above WAS submitted as a team cup score, got me fuck all that I'm aware of.

I was just told, see above, by the guy who is trying to gee us all up and compete, that my best 5GHz score is worthless because I have a 5.2GHz score already there which I obviously never going to beat with 5GHz. Therefore the competition rules have me beaten before I even started. I can't, as he suggested "try a different popular Cpu benchmark. OR do benchmarks with another popular Cpu in that same board" because the rules specifically say differently.

Unlike many, I am not prepared to lay in a stock of obscure and inferior graphics cards just to win a competition, when very nice scores with existing expensive equipment are worthless.

I'm not the kind of person to chase the dragon. I'll just go back to submitting stuff that interests me and save my money.
Quote:
My Rig

Last edited by Ratzz; 1st August 2017 at 2:10 PM.
Old 1st August 2017, 2:14 PM   #165
shane41 Thread Starter

fredhoon Yes Ratzz has very big score with Fast modern Hardware.
Still it's up to the individual what they can/want to do.
Example Ratzz can submit for that Team Cup if he want's too. Did see some for 7700K there to bench.

Ratzz I can see your disappointed. These benchmarks do take time to set up & run. Then you can not hit the score hoping for.
It's alot of time / effort, then sometimes a freak score comes along. Chin up

The old gpu's are still good fun for me. If I'm spending a grand on a Kabylake,
then what's a $20-$50 old gpu matter? 5% outlay overall. Net 50 points sometimes