Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > General Topics > Overclocking & Hardware

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 9th June 2017, 2:36 PM   #16
shane41 Thread Starter

A more balanced response. This is not about me.

Some of our members have low points. I get it now. Never really understood how it all worked
That HWbot thing & all the mystery around how to do it all. Fog has been lifted for me.

As starting out on this journey........never could quite get my machine stable to hit bigger numbers.
That's just plain & simple inexperience on my part.

So learning to go fast has taken a lot of reading & patience. But what can I do now? 1x guy in here?
What about near 4000x overclockers in Australia, what can they do?

There x20 or so really great overclockers in here.
I've watched from the sidelines as a spectator as you TOP guys in our team take on the rest of the world.
I applaud your efforts.

Mathematics are simple. 3786 -20 = 3766

20 Guys hitting big numbers on the Bot. OR another 3766 guys joined in
My message man is Enthusiasm Our guys included on the action.
Haha ...........might be a bit rude that picture.

Last edited by shane41; 9th June 2017 at 2:40 PM.
shane41 is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 9th June 2017, 2:47 PM   #17
newlife

At the end of the day it's really hard to get people to try competitive OC and even harder to keep them at it which is why most of use try to help as much as we can and as you should be able to tell only 20 or so overclockers have kept at it which is actually pretty good considering most other teams only have a few active overclockers

If you have constructive ways to draw in more members I'm all ears as I love overclocking and I love the team and am willing to whatever possible to help promote it although I just don't have the time like I used to
newlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2017, 2:53 PM   #18
ginger_nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by newlife View Post
I love overclocking and I love the team and am willing to whatever possible to help promote it although I just don't have the time like I used to
This shows very strong from you.
Old 9th June 2017, 2:53 PM   #19
shane41 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by headin2001 View Post
Shane, your OP doesn't sell the message in the right way, that's why there is a problem.

What we need to do is show promotion and what competitive overclocking is about. You missed the mark. Sell it, don't argue about it or ring the negativity into it.

Most of us in the team are flat out with personal things lately. In time, I am sure we can get a post to explain the intricacy of HWBot to promote better. I do my thing on FB for this, but even for the masses, there is little love.

But as I said, if we can't get the community to embrace, things will never change and we will just keep doing what we do regardless.

Anyone is free to join and ask away.
I chat to many of your guys. So I do consider you my friends in here. Value your advice as always champ.
Doing good stuff with reviews too.

Perhaps a message was not all that clear. Sometimes you break some eggs, ruffle some feathers, piss someone off.
Then great at least it's a form of discussion & we need it badly man.

I see some urgency to all this computer stuff going into the future. A worry decline use of personal computers.

Going into winter here in Australia, there is no better time to tune our machines to perfection & promote team efforts.
Cores are cores man, if they are idle they can be made busy. LoL typing messages on my laptop when my Haswell 4790K beasty machine is switched off.
Devils Canyon man, what a beast of a processor

Temps getting colder ....... get stuck into it guys.
Your machines on the limit they can turbo better when 20deg ambient is in our favour vs summer.

Last edited by shane41; 9th June 2017 at 2:58 PM.
Old 9th June 2017, 2:54 PM   #20
zeropluszero

What am I even reading.

-Its not December, so I'm not handing out tweaks one can find on a 3 second google search

-Team spirit? We dont post much to OCAU - some of us have day jobs, and some of us just dont have anything to say.
Some of us spend all day talking on our respective facebook chats.
Times change, forum chat turned to facebook chat.

-contributing "to the team"
unfortunately hwbot team power points (HTPP)

Just dont count like they used to. Almost all teams dont see putting the team ahead as their main objective when benching, they put their own individual accounts ahead

I reckon people on the front page are checking these out - not the Team ranking below it. I know I am. and those TPP dont add to the points shown on the front page.
We're supporting the "team" with every score we submit. the ranking just doesnt increase a lot, and sometimes other teams bench more.

-new members
I've tried this, every comp I've ran, I posted up in the popular 3dmark threads here to get people to try it out, but dude, NO ONE CAN MAKE SOMEONE BENCH. Some people are more than happy to spend 10K for a 3dmark11 score and have zero interest in ever trying 3dmark vantage.
I'm not going to try to convert people to bench, we just do what we do, and if someone is interested, they will contact us, and we can be as welcoming as possible.

is that about it?

Last edited by zeropluszero; 9th June 2017 at 3:11 PM.
zeropluszero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2017, 3:07 PM   #21
Ratzz

Its an expensive hobby too. Yeah I know its possible to compete with retro stuff too, but even retro isn't necessarily cheap or easy to find.

I can't afford to bench or destroy a new chip each week under LN2, nor would I want to spend that kind of money on something I can't actually use for anything else.

I've had retro computers, when they weren't retro, and they suck now just as much as they did then.

So I take the middle ground, with consumer stuff and water cooling. I probably spend a 500 a month on new shit, just to try and keep up with the Stigs hillbilly cousin. The Stigs of this game are way out of my reach.

In the end its all about being the best in your class, I'm striving to reach that, but I have no ambitions to go up or down to a different class at this point. If anything, I'm considering moving sideways to Threadripper. I'll still do my best to make the thing go as fast as I possibly can though, whilst still keeping it useful and functional, whatever I get.

I suspect many of the members who are not submitting probably bought themselves a new rig at some point, got all excited at the numbers they were getting and thought they were competitive. Then when they realised that stock numbers weren't in the running, decided it was all too hard, and went back to shooting people in games.

At least 3000 of those members will be completely inactive, or using another name, or only ever signed up on a whim.

I also suspect there are plenty of people here who would compete, but feel their skills or equipment are not up to the job. To those people.. skills we can teach you. Equipment, you can compete against others with similar gear, you don't have to attain outright world records on LN2 here, you just need to do well in your class.

That can come down to the silicon lottery, or your skills, or both. Its a challenge, jump on it !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane41 View Post

Temps getting colder ....... get stuck into it guys.
Your machines on the limit they can turbo better when 20deg ambient is in our favour vs summer.
Stick a water cooled computer outside, with cables running inside (you only want the PC to be cold, not your body ), and overclock in 6C ambient. Love it really looking forward to subzero ambient. Let The Winter Begin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by seizium View Post
I did visit the NBN van today at Westfields North Lakes, but their internet connection wasn't working so they couldn't give me any information
My Rig

Last edited by Ratzz; 9th June 2017 at 3:14 PM.
Ratzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2017, 3:08 PM   #22
shane41 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeropluszero View Post
I reckon people on the front page are checking these out - not the Team ranking below it. I know I am. and those TPP dont add to the points shown on the front page.
We're supporting the "team" with every score we submit. the ranking just doesnt increase a lot, and sometimes other teams bench more.

is that about it?
Sure some of that I understand or beginning too. We all know your are great @ overclocking a #4 is a lot of work.
Over a very long time. I do look the front page in HWbot too. Those mad LN2 guys with 2500+ points.

But I also look in here @ our guys on 10 points or 50 points. Is there a view they cannot be help. As they have not asked to be helped

All too hard & given up as Ratzz mentioned, enthusiasm in the gutter
& gone back to blasting other shooters in those games

Thread is about enthusiasm man. I'm just putting it out there.
You guys all go well " Top 50 " or so all helping in the Team.

You have other members in here aspiring to be champions as well.

LoL not quite right on the views though. Even outside interest " others interested " can view discussion search by google.

If it hits its mark then great Another guy joined then great Guys crank their machines & hit better scores then great

I hear you too man. Ratzz we all get it We want to go bloody faster.
Not 20 of us ........ the other guys as well & they are reading, learning too.

Last edited by shane41; 9th June 2017 at 3:37 PM.
Old 9th June 2017, 3:22 PM   #23
zeropluszero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratzz View Post
Its an expensive hobby too. Yeah I know its possible to compete with retro stuff too, but even retro isn't necessarily cheap or easy to find.

I can't afford to bench or destroy a new chip each week under LN2, nor would I want to spend that kind of money on something I can't actually use for anything else.

I've had retro computers, when they weren't retro, and they suck now just as much as they did then.

So I take the middle ground, with consumer stuff and water cooling. I probably spend a 500 a month on new shit, just to try and keep up with the Stigs hillbilly cousin. The Stigs of this game are way out of my reach.

In the end its all about being the best in your class, I'm striving to reach that, but I have no ambitions to go up or down to a different class at this point. If anything, I'm considering moving sideways to Threadripper. I'll still do my best to make the thing go as fast as I possibly can though, whilst still keeping it useful and functional, whatever I get.

I suspect many of the members who are not submitting probably bought themselves a new rig at some point, got all excited at the numbers they were getting and thought they were competitive. Then when they realised that stock numbers weren't in the running, decided it was all too hard, and went back to shooting people in games.

At least 3000 of those members will be completely inactive, or using another name, or only ever signed up on a whim.

I also suspect there are plenty of people here who would compete, but feel their skills or equipment are not up to the job. To those people.. skills we can teach you. Equipment, you can compete against others with similar gear, you don't have to attain outright world records on LN2 here, you just need to do well in your class.

That can come down to the silicon lottery, or your skills, or both. Its a challenge, jump on it !!

Stick a water cooled computer outside, with cables running inside (you only want the PC to be cold, not your body ), and overclock in 6C ambient. Love it really looking forward to subzero ambient. Let The Winter Begin.
Couldnt agree more with this post.
Stick to what you can do, and strive to be the best at it.
I keep my bench rigs and my "desktop" rigs completely separate, but I dont expect that everyone has the means to do that.
Running a rig on chilled water or outside in the cold of winter? Significantly more easy than dropping $300 on an LN2 pot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane41 View Post
To zeropluszero Some of it not all of it.
Thread is about enthusiasm man. I'm just putting it out there.
You guys all go well " Top 50 " or so all helping in the Team.
You have other members in here aspiring to be champions as well.
Not 20 of us ........ the other guys as well & they are reading, learning too.
And as mentioned, you cant milk enthusiasm where it isnt there already.
Aspire to be a champion? flick me a message with what gear and what bench, and we can chat from there.

Last edited by zeropluszero; 9th June 2017 at 3:25 PM.
zeropluszero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2017, 3:29 PM   #24
Ratzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeropluszero View Post
-contributing "to the team"
unfortunately hwbot team power points (HTPP)
Just dont count like they used to. Almost all teams dont see putting the team ahead as their main objective when benching, they put their own individual accounts ahead
I am humbled..

Click to view full size!

How do I put the team first? Am I ticking the wrong box somewhere, or not submitting in the right events?
Quote:
Originally Posted by seizium View Post
I did visit the NBN van today at Westfields North Lakes, but their internet connection wasn't working so they couldn't give me any information
My Rig
Ratzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2017, 3:42 PM   #25
zeropluszero

Just submit any score. The points are calculated and any team points are automatically added to the tally, once Hwbot's servers do their calculations (which can be anywhere from instantly to several days)

Look, part of the issue here as well, is the strong scores you get with subzero scores also makes getting a big boost here is very difficult without latest-generation-balls-out scores and tweaking.
take a look at my last few scores submitted - 6.5g Kaby lake in multithreaded benchmarks - all definitely personal bests - but still all under the 30-40 Global/Hardware points I'm looking for. Unfortunately, my chip isnt strong enough to get close enough to the 6.7+ others with 7700K are getting, and next generation 7740K are looking even stronger for raw frequency.
Even a 6950X doing 5.2ghz? points are barely worth it.

what is left?
Older videocards in legacy benchmarks - get a top ten score - sometimes just watercooling or dry ice is plenty for this, and reap the hardware points.
Old 9th June 2017, 3:50 PM   #26
shane41 Thread Starter

Good post Zero Definitely getting to the heart of the problem.
XTU is a good one to bench guys.

There's 20+ points there if you are hitting your mark. Older gpu's as well
on the 3D. Then there's a search " a score someone has submitted "
You have similar hardware to bench & you chase down that score

Here's another good one. x1 of our own smashing out the big numbers
Bloody cranking on that weekend he was.........

So you don't have special cooling, not matter. Water cooling the processor
can do very well. You see the XTU's that are 24 points or below.
That can be done, have a processor like that & you can try it.

Many Cpu benches to get points though. Set up & go takes a minute to run

Last edited by shane41; 9th June 2017 at 4:10 PM.
Old 9th June 2017, 4:10 PM   #27
im late

So with the main focus of me contributing to the Team score, and with the hardware listed in my sig, what bench software is suggested I focus more on?
Intel i7-5960X | Asus Rampage V Extreme | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200 C14 | EVGA GTX 1080Ti FE | Intel 750 Series 400GB | 3 x Seagate Constellation ES.2 3TB Raid 5 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G2 | Open Bench | Asus ROG Swift PG278Q
im late is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2017, 4:13 PM   #28
headin2001

Everything Adam. You can serch by Graphics card to show the points available, and also by CPU. You will get a list of the benchmarks, and it will show what the 1st score gets in relation to HW points.

From there, look at the rankings and see where your cooling method will take you.

5960X, you are wanting Cinebench, XTU etc, all the main CPU intensive ones.

GPU's, you know the main ones.
headin2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2017, 4:13 PM   #29
ginger_nuts

Cant see your hardware atm im late.

But my #1 recommendation is use a dedicated hdd for benching. Any type of drive is good. A ssd is better.
Old 9th June 2017, 4:19 PM   #30
zeropluszero

5960x = multicore = XTU, Cinebench 11 & 15, Hwbot prime, wPrime.
Or bench this with a new gen card for Fire strike, FSE, Catzilla, 3dmark 11
bench it with just about any card in Vantage.

other benchmarks you'll lose out to raw frequency of quadcore chips.