Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > Video Cards & Monitors

Notices


Sign up for a free OCAU account and this ad will go away!
Search our forums with Google:
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old Yesterday, 9:17 PM   #1921
Bertross
Member
 
Bertross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Melb, CBD
Posts: 12,455
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nCrypt View Post
yeah HBM2 16GB and Pro drivers probably added alot to that costs lol. Should be $1000
__________________

ASUS GTX 1070 STRIX OC | RYZEN 1700+H100I | ASUS ROG BIG HERO 6+SAMSUNG 950 PRO M.2 | 32GB TRIDENT Z RGB 3000 | PHANTEKS ENTHOO EVOLV TEMPERED | DELL U3415W 34"
Bertross is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old Yesterday, 9:25 PM   #1922
ipv6ready
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: North Sydney
Posts: 668
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athlonman_2nd View Post
And AMD are bankrupt in 3... 2... 1...
Even as Nvidia fan that would be bad, we would be looking at $1500 Usd 1080ti lol
__________________
4k nut UP3214Q, UP2414Q and U28D590D
MSI Z77a-GD80, Cosmos II, i7-3770k, Swiftech H240-X, Gigabyte G1 GTX1070, G.Skill 32mb 1600, 256GB Samsung Pro 840, 120GB Sandisk Extreme, LSi 9261, 8 x 1TB WB Black HDD, Seasonic 660w Platinum, Cyberpower UPS
ipv6ready is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:06 PM   #1923
Dragonfly
Member
 
Dragonfly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 4,103
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nCrypt View Post
Almost as cheap as this https://www.scorptec.com.au/product/...2-Quadro-P5000
__________________
i5 3570K @4.5Ghz | Asus Maximus V Gene | 16GB GSkill Ripjaws | Asus Strix RX470 | Corsair RM650X PSU | Fractal Define C | Asus VG248QE & Dell U2412M
DesignInfusion
Dragonfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:07 PM   #1924
DarkStyle
Member
 
DarkStyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 1,315
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipv6ready View Post
I reckon Nadia is looking at the ass whooping Intel is getting and won't allow Vega to get any market share. Which mean less R&D budget for the next version. Basically even if Vega surprise the market and is as good as 1080ti Nvidia will price match and dangle Volta immediately.
This just stood out to me for a reply.

An offhand comment on reddit offered quite a bit of insight. The comment suggested that Polaris R&D had finished already started by the time Raja came back to AMD and Vega is the first GPU architecture to follow his tenure (maybe not initiated by him but at least completed under his supervision). While Vega is fairly meh in most aspects, AMD are just looking for an incremental improvement, in order to scale the technical capacities of their products. Navi will be the interesting wild card, as its a project Raja initiated and supervised (interesting article here on google dated 2013 and here, 2015 about Raja's recruitment).

While its not strictly speaking cool as a gamer, its just like training a new football team. Polaris was alright. Vega could be good (better with driver support maybe). Navi has no reason to be garbage
__________________
#
Cryptominers Australia, friendly, domestic miners from all walks....
Need an AMD gaming Card?
N/A Buyers-NerfDude

Last edited by DarkStyle; Yesterday at 10:09 PM.
DarkStyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:08 PM   #1925
DarkStyle
Member
 
DarkStyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 1,315
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertross View Post
yeah HBM2 16GB and Pro drivers probably added alot to that costs lol. Should be $1000
I think even the 8gb cards will end up in the 1100 - 1300 dollar range.

Distributors are happy to bleed customers dry when it comes to GPUs because they know how they can be purposed.
__________________
#
Cryptominers Australia, friendly, domestic miners from all walks....
Need an AMD gaming Card?
N/A Buyers-NerfDude
DarkStyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:42 PM   #1926
ipv6ready
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: North Sydney
Posts: 668
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStyle View Post
This just stood out to me for a reply.

An offhand comment on reddit offered quite a bit of insight. The comment suggested that Polaris R&D had finished already started by the time Raja came back to AMD and Vega is the first GPU architecture to follow his tenure (maybe not initiated by him but at least completed under his supervision). While Vega is fairly meh in most aspects, AMD are just looking for an incremental improvement, in order to scale the technical capacities of their products. Navi will be the interesting wild card, as its a project Raja initiated and supervised (interesting article here on google dated 2013 and here, 2015 about Raja's recruitment).

While its not strictly speaking cool as a gamer, its just like training a new football team. Polaris was alright. Vega could be good (better with driver support maybe). Navi has no reason to be garbage

Exactly my thoughts too.... however let's look at Intel (just like Nvidia has one competitor) Intel coasted along for ten years. And out of the blue AMD has caught up and surprised the market. AMD is not getting anyway near Intel with Ryzen imediately but they are making money on the chip and gaining market share.

More money means larger profits which in turns allows for bigger R&D budget and team to further develop Zen family architecture.

Who knows Zen II might be as as powerful, faster, EFFCIENT and COOL chip allowing AMD to get even closer.

Now if I was leading NVidia, I know I have big lead to AMD but is only a generation or at most generation and half. My best bet is to keep innovating and cutting AMD legs off. The way to that is make AMD decide/force them to shift even more scarce resource to a better bet aka Zen.
__________________
4k nut UP3214Q, UP2414Q and U28D590D
MSI Z77a-GD80, Cosmos II, i7-3770k, Swiftech H240-X, Gigabyte G1 GTX1070, G.Skill 32mb 1600, 256GB Samsung Pro 840, 120GB Sandisk Extreme, LSi 9261, 8 x 1TB WB Black HDD, Seasonic 660w Platinum, Cyberpower UPS
ipv6ready is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:27 AM   #1927
DarkStyle
Member
 
DarkStyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 1,315
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipv6ready View Post
Exactly my thoughts too.... however let's look at Intel (just like Nvidia has one competitor) Intel coasted along for ten years. And out of the blue AMD has caught up and surprised the market. AMD is not getting anyway near Intel with Ryzen imediately but they are making money on the chip and gaining market share.

More money means larger profits which in turns allows for bigger R&D budget and team to further develop Zen family architecture.

Who knows Zen II might be as as powerful, faster, EFFCIENT and COOL chip allowing AMD to get even closer.

Now if I was leading NVidia, I know I have big lead to AMD but is only a generation or at most generation and half. My best bet is to keep innovating and cutting AMD legs off. The way to that is make AMD decide/force them to shift even more scarce resource to a better bet aka Zen.
Personally, I feel that Ryzen was the most successful AMD processor released recently (probably since the Athlon 64/Socket 939 days but architecturally less significant than the original Thunderbird).

Its not about market capture or specifications. I believe its about management and imagination. AMD under this guy in the past have done some amazing things. Its not that I am an AMD Fanboy, its just that the overall quality of gamers everywhere goes up if hes halfway successful bringing something to market. Even if its a modest success and closes the gap with Nvidia in a small way, it'll make tremendous strides towards encouraging competition and pushing gaming closer to the seamless experience its supposed to be
__________________
#
Cryptominers Australia, friendly, domestic miners from all walks....
Need an AMD gaming Card?
N/A Buyers-NerfDude

Last edited by DarkStyle; Today at 12:30 AM.
DarkStyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:30 AM   #1928
PRiME2007
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Adelaide Gawler
Posts: 260
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipv6ready View Post
Will need battery with that
And in my case a house, and money....
PRiME2007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Sign up for a free OCAU account and this ad will go away!

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time now is 12:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
OCAU is not responsible for the content of individual messages posted by others.
Other content copyright Overclockers Australia.
OCAU is hosted by Micron21!