Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > Video Cards & Monitors

Notices

Old 22nd September 2017, 5:11 PM   #4216
partybear

You would struggle to find a power supply for sale that cannot power a modern cpu and a vega 64.

My psu is 620w and it powers my ryzen at 4ghz and vega in turbo mode no problem. I haven't seen the machine peak higher then 450w at the wall, which on a 85% efficient psu is less then 400w for the system.

Which means my 620w psu powers this machine comfortably, right in the peak of its efficiency range.

Only when you overclock would it be relevant to have a higher power and even then not that much, like I showed mine is r7 1700@4ghz and the vega in turbo mode using less then 400w.
partybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2017, 6:54 PM   #4217
SilentSnipeR

Anyone had any changes with the new drivers? My firestrike score shot up almost 800 points. Don't know if this some kind of placebo effect.
Be Quite! Base 600 | MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (MS-7A32) | 1800X @4Ghz | 32GB G.Kill TridentZ 3866 @ 2933Mhz | AMD Vega FE | Samsung SSD 960 EVO 500GB | 2 x Seagate FireCuda 2TB | Custom Single Loop CPU @ GPU Water cooling
SilentSnipeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2017, 10:19 PM   #4218
partybear

I am so sick of the overwatch bugs it's making it a coin flip whether or not I finish a round. I just got demoted to platinum from pure disconnects. I might even get banned from playing this season at this rate lol.
partybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2017, 10:37 PM   #4219
terroristone

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentSnipeR View Post
Anyone had any changes with the new drivers? My firestrike score shot up almost 800 points. Don't know if this some kind of placebo effect.
bf1 seems to be more smooth...
Haswell 4790k@4.5 - MSI Z97 GAMING 5- GSKILL 2933 - MSI VEGA 64 WATER - SAMSUNG 950 PRO M.2 - ACER XR341CK - AX1500I - CUSTOM HARD TUBE WATERCOOLED GPU&CPU - 750D - NIGHTHAWK X9 - G502
System Pic
terroristone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:17 AM   #4220
SKITZ0_000

Here are my Vega 56 AIO mod and results, using a "Cooler Master Seidon 120V plus" and some ebay gpu block screws.

Card is easy to pull apart, stock paste spread was probably the best I've seen.

Click to view full size!

I used this particular AIO because I picked it up cheap, but it worked out really well with the sizing and having decent clearance from the chokes (when oriented hoses up).

Click to view full size!

eBay screws fitted, I actually changed my mind and used the thumb nuts to screw to the pcb and the normal nuts plus some washers to screw to the bracket as space was pretty tight.

Click to view full size!

I screwed the bracket to some old chipboard and drilled the new holes as close to the corner of the bracket as possible, then used a needle file to slot it with the rest of the predrilled holes.

Click to view full size!

Not super attractive, but function over form is my motto

Click to view full size!

Screwed together, these are 5mm nuts, have to be gentle with the torque as I didn't use the spring. Beside it is an eBay pci fan to cool the VRMs and other components of the card, it's pretty much silent, just there to pass air over the card.

As you can see the third fan is blowing pointlessly on bare pcb, if I was to buy one dedicated for this purpose I'd get a 2 x 120mm version, rather than the 3 x 80mm I already had.

Click to view full size!

I cut old ramsinks in half for vrm cooling, had some clearance issues around the block but it's hard to see (sorry for bad pic) just bent the fins. If you have active cooling I don't think this is necessary or beneficial.

Click to view full size!

Pic of it all installed, in an matx case.

Click to view full size!

Some results - just a single run of Time Spy;

Here it is with the stock fan profile (the non quiet one)

Click to view full size!

With the stock fan at 100% "full noise"

Click to view full size!

With AIO fitted and naked VRMs w/ PCI fan

Click to view full size!

With AIO fitted and VRM sinks fitted w/ PCI fan

Click to view full size!

And here it is mining Ethereum, vrm temps are low (~40C) as there is just no load on them, though I didn't get that in the screen capture. I can get almost 40MH/s but it does cost another 50W or so.

Click to view full size!

The main reason I did this mod is because this is my living room media pc, but I do mine on it, so it's basically just to keep it quiet.

As you can see in those screens, the VRM temps have increased from stock. It is at 150% TDP and those temps are still well within safe range, but if I was to do it again (or if I end up remounting) I would probably fit the stock base plate and use a large copper shim to space the block out a bit, as I just don't think thermal adhesive tape has the mounting pressure and thermal conductivity that is really needed, you may as well run them naked.

Also can someone enlighten me to what the 'hot spot' is? It's temps are significantly lower but the gap between GPU temp and hot spot has increased slightly... mmm

Anyway, I hope this is helpful for some.

Travel, lift, trip, learn, ride.

Last edited by SKITZ0_000; Yesterday at 10:56 AM.
SKITZ0_000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:37 AM   #4221
SKITZ0_000

Also some bonus information.

I've mentioned them before but these eBay GPU blocks are absolutely awesome and come with everything you need.

I've used 4 of them used on miscellaneous projects, never had an issue with one and their cooling is 10/10, getting the same temps as with my full cover EK block.

Though I do always nip up the alan key screws and tighten the fittings as they do come a little loose for my liking.

Click to view full size!

I have used them on my current gaming pc / workstation for several months now.

For a budget setup, you can't go wrong. /shill

Anyway, the point of this yarn is this; these blocks fit like a glove on the RX Vega base. So if you want to add to or make a full loop you can keep your VRM cooling stock, your backplate on the card and just add an $18 block to the GPU core and HBM.

The stock Vega heatsink does protrude the base slightly so to cover all bases just in case your clearances are no good it would be a good idea to get a copper shim, 30mm x 30mm would be the minimum as it's the die size, 40mm leaves more room for error if it moves during mounting if you can find one, i'd recommend >1mm <2mm thick.

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

You could probably get away with keeping the blower fan for some low speed vrm cooling depending how you run your hoses - and if you're willing to modify the outer casing for the hoses (or possibly the pci bracket with the block faced the other way) you could get it all back together looking like a factory hybrid.

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

One issue is the holes are just ever so slightly out on RX Vega when compared to other AMD/Nvidia cards. All you would need to do is drill the holes slightly larger on the block or base - I would say the base is the best bet but I understand concerns with warranty (though in my opinion it's your property, you can do what you want with it - and if it's faulty not caused by you the retailer is still obligated to replace).

Looking at it more, I'm sure you could get away with slotting the block holes slightly further out with a needle file.

Click to view full size!

Last edited by SKITZ0_000; Yesterday at 1:07 PM.
Old Yesterday, 12:54 PM   #4222
aussie-revhead

I have been using an EK vga supreme universal block on my test bench for years, always had great results with it.

Bench 1- Asus Rampage 5 Extreme - Intel 5960x - 32gb of 3200c16 DDR4- 1x Galax GTX1080 Ti HOF - Samsung 960 Evo + Intel 600P m.2 512GB - Enermax Revo1250 - water cooled tech bench - QNIX 2560x1440 screen @ 100Hz - Aten 120Hz KVM
Netbox - Dell 990 SFF - 2500 - 16GB ram - gtx750Ti - 240GB SSD - 2TB green
Current vehicles- Black 2007 ZX14 - VE V8 Calais (wifes car) - VN SS (for sale)
aussie-revhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 1:40 PM   #4223
Aussiejuggalo

You know, in a way I'm kinda regretting not going Vega, Nvidia drivers are still craptastic. But then again, 1070 is cooler and draws less power.

Cant win .

My baby: AMD 1800X / MSI B350M Mortar Arctic / G.Skill Trident Z 32GB 3200MHz C14 / MSI 1070 Armor OC / Samsung 960 Evo 250GB / Samsung 850 EVO 1TB / WD Blue 1TB / EVGA G2 850w / Caselabs SM5 / Dell U2414H x2 & Asus VG248QE
Aussiejuggalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 3:10 PM   #4224
TaroT

that's cool...pun intended.
this sort of setup work a for fury nano you think>
i have a spare cooler lying around...
as for the 1070 thing aren't they released a ti version soon? i wouldn't bother buying a new card in the next month unless i really had to and the vegas are still absolutely stupid prices even the xfx went up 30 bucks or so.
you want to mine go buy a friggen shovel
Old Yesterday, 3:11 PM   #4225
TaroT

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowdog View Post
You have the Asrock X370 Fatality right, use the F-Stream Tuning utility/software - system info section to see your 12V output, it should be reading over 12V if the PSU's healthy.
is this the same as the hwinfo output reading ?
just asking as that is what i base mine on.
Old Today, 9:22 AM   #4226
Tazor

Watercooled and installed my card only to find an issue I was having a month ago has come back with a vengeance and the card no longer runs games and drivers crash constantly...

Logged an RMA as adding in my old 780 works fine...
Thank god XFX covers cooler removal.
My Rig i3 7350K with Cryorig C7 (for now) | Asus Z270i Strix | XFX Vega 64 | G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz | 240Gb SSD | Silverstone 700W Platinum SFX-L | Silverstone ML07 (Have ordered Phanteks Shift) | AOC AGON AG241QX
Tazor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:52 AM   #4227
SKITZ0_000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazor View Post
Thank god XFX covers cooler removal.
It makes it less hassle, though sticker or no sticker any manufacturer has to honour warranty even if you have removed the cooler. You cant just put a sticker on something and escape Australian consumer law .

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaroT View Post
that's cool...pun intended.
this sort of setup work a for fury nano you think>
i have a spare cooler lying around...
I'm not sure, the mounting holes on Vega are quite far apart which was perfect for this mod but there was pretty much no room for less.

From a Google image search it looks like the fury holes are closer together. An easy thing to do would be to line up your cooler/bracket with the back of the card and see if the holes are going to work.

Old Today, 12:10 PM   #4228
Unframed

CoolerMaster CM Storm Stryker | AMD R7 1700 w/ Masterliquid 240 | ASRock X370 Fatal1ty | Sapphire RX Vega 64 Liquid | Samsung 840 120GB, Kingston Savage 480GB, Samsung 840 Evo 240GB, 2x 3TB Seagate | 64GB G.Skill 2400MHz | SteelSeries Apex M500/SteelSeries Rival 700 | Enermax Revolution87+ 1000W | LG 34UM88C, 2x Dell U2211H
Unframed is offline   Reply With Quote