Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 2nd July 2013, 11:43 AM   #151
raGneG

$12 Million!

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/c...124-12-Million

Excerpt I like a lot:

Quote:
The $12 million achievement means that we will be building a professional sound studio, replacing the current home office used for Star Citizen’s sound recording. This will give the team access to professional voice talent and the ability to interact more directly with the team doing the sound portion of the game. It also means we’re going to push for Oculus Rift support in the upcoming hangar module… so line up those Rift pre-orders!
OCAU NIGHT OWL #9 - OCAU METAL CLUB #9 - Last.FM

Steam profile: ragneg
raGneG is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 2nd July 2013, 11:52 AM   #152
SpudBoy

holy crapity crap... i havent needed a change of pants for a game preview in a long time...

only thing that would have made this perfect would be if it was set in the "Banner of the Stars" universe...
SpudBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2013, 1:10 PM   #153
MoorKhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehybrid View Post
The game has pvp, and it has the ability to buy power. It is flat out pay to win... there is no ifs or buts.

Can you compete without paying? Possibly (probably, at least to some extent). But the fact is, people are paying large amounts of $$ for large in-game advantages on launch.
I tend to agree, but many people only seem to consider games "pay to win" if you can gain an advantage via real world money that isn't otherwise accessible in game.

It's also debatable just how large an advantage people are buying. Not all of the more expensive ships are a strict improvement and there's no levelling to exploit - so whatever advantage they have at launch will deteriorate over time as people purchase equivalent ships with in game currency.

Lifetime insurance is also of limited benefit, as they've already indicated that insurance can be bought relatively cheaply in-game and that cover is purchased for a time period, not per ship replacement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulblade64 View Post
As long as they have an optional PVP environment and not a forced PVP where the rich players can gank the low level players it should be fine... Something like all other MMO's, a seperate PvE and PvP environment.
There's a PvP slider that lets you manipulate how often you engage with other players, but you don't have total control, so you can't set it so low that there's no risk of PvP. Different regions of space also affect the chances of PvP occurring (based on population, lawlessness etc). I don't think they have plans for a traditional mmo style PvE and PvP server setup.
MoorKhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2013, 2:35 PM   #154
soulblade64

Looking at the anticipated release schedule it looks like their alpha isn't going to be a traditional alpha... But more beta quality modules released one at a time (starting with the hanger, just so you can inspect your ship and view the details).
OCAU MetaL Club Member #203 xbox live gamertag: soulblade64
Trades- More than I can remember
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo54 View Post
I would. But I would eat the other people before I ran out of supplies, therefore quadrupling my food supply, and allowing me to live for ever, as cannibal king of mars.
soulblade64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2013, 4:20 PM   #155
yanman

Quote:
Dogfighting ModuleEdit
Approximate date: December 2013

Might get some interest
yanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2013, 4:32 PM   #156
k1ll3r

2015.... why am I even looking at this game now for....
Old 2nd July 2013, 5:57 PM   #157
Frenchpom

Man, took me long enough, just pledged for the Digital Scout $30 one. Important to note, it does not include Alpha/Beta access. I've seen it mentioned a couple of times now that it does, unfortunately it doesn't.
Frenchpom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2013, 6:01 PM   #158
yanman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchpom View Post
Man, took me long enough, just pledged for the Digital Scout $30 one. Important to note, it does not include Alpha/Beta access. I've seen it mentioned a couple of times now that it does, unfortunately it doesn't.
You can see what option includes beta easy enough, they all list their included items at the bottom.

I chose the cheapest one with beta and both squad42 and star citizen which was the Advanced Starter
yanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2013, 8:48 PM   #159
Lucus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris McMahon View Post
I've highlighted the differences.

Advanced Starter Package $45
RSI Aurora LX
Lifetime Insurance
Star Citizen Digital Download
Squadron 42 Digital Download
Alpha Access
Beta Access
Digital Star Citizen Manual

Digital Scout - LTI $35
RSI Aurora
Lifetime Insurance
Star Citizen Digital Download
Squadron 42 Digital Download
Alpha Access
Beta Access
1,000 Game Credits
It's been also stated that the Aurora LX upgrades in game would come to ~10,000 in credits. So for $10 you get that plus those upgrades on your ship would also have the LTI as it's part of your ship.

If you got the stock ship and purchased the upgrades and your ship got destroyed or stolen if you didn't have the weapons/add-on insurance you would have to go and buy new stuff & higher premiums for next round of insurance if you did etc

So if you have a 300i/300i package & are looking at upgrading make sure you get the full ship or package that has the 315p/325a in it & not the upgrade for just the 300i to 315p/325a as the upgrade won't have the LTI.

-Lucus
Folding@Home 24,000,000 Points Milestone (Stromlo High 7k- Canberra College 8k- Team DF Erect Vicar 24M)
Lucus Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2013, 8:50 AM   #160
War1910

I knew I shouldn't have watched that video with Chris showing off some of the ships...

*throws money at screen*
War1910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2013, 10:05 AM   #161
purehybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoorKhan View Post
I tend to agree, but many people only seem to consider games "pay to win" if you can gain an advantage via real world money that isn't otherwise accessible in game.
They'd be wrong. If you have a head start, and keep up with time played with someone who doesn't, you'll always have that advantage, until such point that there is a power cap. Additionally, in a game where economy matters, a small early advantage can snowball into a massive one later.

Imagine a game of LoL where one champ started at level 5 instead of level 1. He'd have to be pretty awful to lose from there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoorKhan View Post
so whatever advantage they have at launch will deteriorate over time as people purchase equivalent ships with in game currency.
This assumes they aren't using their early advantage effectively. I guarantee you many players will be ex EVE'ers, who will eke every little scrap of advantage they can (this isn't supposed to be a derogatory comment btw, hopefully it didn't come across that way)
Old 3rd July 2013, 11:18 AM   #162
k1ll3r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucus Maximus View Post
It's been also stated that the Aurora LX upgrades in game would come to ~10,000 in credits. So for $10 you get that plus those upgrades on your ship would also have the LTI as it's part of your ship.

If you got the stock ship and purchased the upgrades and your ship got destroyed or stolen if you didn't have the weapons/add-on insurance you would have to go and buy new stuff & higher premiums for next round of insurance if you did etc

So if you have a 300i/300i package & are looking at upgrading make sure you get the full ship or package that has the 315p/325a in it & not the upgrade for just the 300i to 315p/325a as the upgrade won't have the LTI.

-Lucus
What your saying is that I should upgrade from Digital Scout - LTI to the Advanced Starter Package?
Old 3rd July 2013, 11:54 AM   #163
Lucus Maximus

Thumbs up Aurora LX

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1ll3r View Post
What your saying is that I should upgrade from Digital Scout - LTI to the Advanced Starter Package?
I personally would recommend it That's the pack I started a mate & my brother on but my bro's ended upgrading to the 315p anyway.

-Lucus
Folding@Home 24,000,000 Points Milestone (Stromlo High 7k- Canberra College 8k- Team DF Erect Vicar 24M)
Old 3rd July 2013, 11:29 PM   #164
Psycho84

I backed the original Kickstarter campaign by grabbing the $37.00 Digital Scout pack. However I stupidly never got around to creating an account at RSI and linking it.

Anyone know the process to do that now as the old email link for it doesn't work?
Psycho84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2013, 11:40 PM   #165
Lucus Maximus

Exclamation Kickstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho84 View Post
I backed the original Kickstarter campaign by grabbing the $37.00 Digital Scout pack. However I stupidly never got around to creating an account at RSI and linking it.

Anyone know the process to do that now as the old email link for it doesn't work?
This is from their support forums page:

Quote:
If you never received a Kickstarter Link email:

First, check to make sure you're not already linked up by visiting this page: http://www.robertsspaceindustries.co...order-details/
Send an email to admin@cloudimperiumgames.com with the following: Your Kickstarter email address

Your RSI email address

Your Amazon transaction number

If you aren't sure if your Kickstarter link has been added check http://www.robertsspaceindustries.co...order-details/. If you see your pledge there then there is nothing else you need to do, you're all linked up! We may be sending out more link reminder emails to our Kickstarter users in the future but if you see your goods on the RSI site you can safely ignore it.
Hrm... Looks likes those links are old. I hear their support is really good, so if you can't get it working just shoot them an email & I'm sure they will sort it all out for you.

-Lucus