OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Software Topics > PC Games

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 16th October 2012, 2:37 AM   #46
Kurosaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho84 View Post
Most of whats proposed was done pretty well in Freelancer. I'd think between then and now technology could fill in a few of its shortcomings
And how delayed was Freelancer?

I rather he focused on one part and do it well like Starlancer which I thought was a much more superior game.
Kurosaki is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 16th October 2012, 12:40 PM   #47
Psycho84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurosaki View Post
And how delayed was Freelancer?

I rather he focused on one part and do it well like Starlancer which I thought was a much more superior game.
Freelancer was delayed? I honestly can't remember at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRiME2007
Freelancer was very much a arcade space game, this is trying to be a true simulator. Just check out the section where he demonstrates Newtonian physics with thrusters on ships etc...
Freelancer did have decent Newtonian physics too. Engine off mode for that full Battlestar Galactica experience, engine on for fighter jets in space.

I don't think he's reinventing the wheel here. Not when he has a lot of published proof of concepts to draw on and he's definitely the one to try and bring them all together again.
Psycho84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2012, 10:41 AM   #48
CoByau

Freelancer was delayed so much because Roberts was getting screwed around by the Suits (from what I have gathered)

the beauty of this project is that there is no suits involved at all ......... so no EA to ruin the game (like they did with SW:TOR)

This game looks absolutely AWESOME

I pledged $60 and I hope anyone even remotely interested in playing this pledges at least $20 - 30 so they can reach their goal and get this thing happening
CoByau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2012, 12:29 PM   #49
maestro

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoByau View Post
Freelancer was delayed so much because Roberts was getting screwed around by the Suits (from what I have gathered)

the beauty of this project is that there is no suits involved at all ......... so no EA to ruin the game (like they did with SW:TOR)

This game looks absolutely AWESOME

I pledged $60 and I hope anyone even remotely interested in playing this pledges at least $20 - 30 so they can reach their goal and get this thing happening
I pledged $35.

I agree this looks awesome, and hopefully this model will allow the true vision of the game to be achieved, not some cut-down mess to meet a publishers deadline!
Old 21st October 2012, 8:09 PM   #50
BuZeR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho84 View Post
Freelancer was delayed? I honestly can't remember at all.

Freelancer did have decent Newtonian physics too. Engine off mode for that full Battlestar Galactica experience, engine on for fighter jets in space.

I don't think he's reinventing the wheel here. Not when he has a lot of published proof of concepts to draw on and he's definitely the one to try and bring them all together again.
Did read this interesting post by Triggo on the SC forums in relation to the ship physics and graphical problems in the replication of it..
Quote:
Chris mentioned some of these concerns in his recent upgrade:

The problem with visually depicting the proper thrust is that it would actually look pretty horrible (trust me this is how I first did it, and is still pretty easy to switch back to as I’m actually doing some extra work to make the visuals looks nicer).

The reason is because there is no drag in space, so even a micro amount of thrust starts the Hornet (or any spaceship) rotating until you apply counter thrust. So what is really happening is that the flight control system is always applying micro thrust and counter thrust to achieve the pilot’s inputs. This results in the thrusters flickering off and on in micro amounts and you actually not getting a good feel of the general application of thrust. I think you know I like things to look cool (come on, we all know you probably wouldn’t be engaging in space dogfights at WW2 speeds, but it’s so much more fun than what the reality would probably be), so what happens is that the system is still modeled accurately, but I use the angular /linear velocity delta to drive the visual representation of thrust. Here’s my code comment

//Note the thrustGoal is actually the linear velocity delta (desired vel – current vel of //the vehicle & rotational vel rather than the actual linear & angular acceleration / thrust. //This is because, while inaccurate its cooler to see more constant thrust that gives //you a visual clue as to what correctional movement / velocity vectors the vehicle is using. //If we just used the acceleration as opposed to the desired velocity correction, the thruster flames //would flicker on and off – especially in the Wing Commander use case of Space, where //there is no atmosphere to provide drag. // //Of course if you pass the actual accelerations to SetThrustGoal, then you’ll get an accurate //visual representation of what a thruster would really do

So he is fully aware that total realistic has to be second to the look and the fun of the game.
** Edit

Also, I hope everyone who plays space sims/games and enjoys them pledges to this game. They are a dieing breed with all the AAA titles being cookie cutter MMOs or the generic military FPS... This is the chance for a AAA titled Space sim for the PC, when was the last time we saw one of these? Once the game is relased, it will sell for, what, $80-$110? So pleging $20-$30 now and getting the full game on completion (plus a few perks never hurt) is a chance I personally find hard to shoot down as a fan of the genre, as such I pledged $125 for those reasons and highly hope everyone else does too!
|| Intel Core i7 3770 || Gigabyte P67A-UD7-B3 || Kingston HyperX Predator 16GB || Gigabyte Radeon RX 580 4GB || Kingston SSDNow UV400 480GB SSD & G.Skill Phoenix Pro Series 120GB SSD || Corsair RM850 Gold 850W || Asus Xonar D2 Ultra ||

Last edited by BuZeR; 21st October 2012 at 8:19 PM.
BuZeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2012, 7:46 AM   #51
NSanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roberts Space Industries
$2 MILLION! You really like us! Thank you to an incredible, group of dedicated fans for helping us reach this point. If there was ever any doubt, we are "go" for launch! Now let's hit some of those stretch goals...
Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
NSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2012, 8:09 PM   #52
Rhimes

I'm in on the kickstarter! Can't wait to see what gets made.
Rhimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2012, 8:59 PM   #53
SneakyBastd

Only saw the videos for this game yesterday, and it looks awesome. That he used a controller in parts was pretty worrying... but everything else looks great.
Old 28th October 2012, 9:27 PM   #54
NSanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakyBastd View Post
That he used a controller in parts was pretty worrying... but everything else looks great.
Its PC only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/draft-faq/
What platforms will Star Citizen be available on?
Star Citizen is a PC game through and through and could never be played on the Xbox 360, Playstation 3 or WiiU. We currently plan to support Windows and are examining our options regarding possible Linux and Macintosh releases. The Cloud Imperium team includes many Linux and Macintosh fans!
NSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2012, 10:20 PM   #55
Scroosh

I was gonna put 30 bucks down on the kickstarter but then I saw release date was 2014... Fuck that I'll just wait and buy it when it releases.

Rather put 30 bucks towards a game I can play this year or next.
Scroosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2012, 4:50 PM   #56
BuZeR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroosh View Post
I was gonna put 30 bucks down on the kickstarter but then I saw release date was 2014... Fuck that I'll just wait and buy it when it releases.

Rather put 30 bucks towards a game I can play this year or next.
Yeah Id rather pay $90 bucks in 2 years then buy it now for $30 with crappy bonuses like in game ships and stuff... /sarcasm
|| Intel Core i7 3770 || Gigabyte P67A-UD7-B3 || Kingston HyperX Predator 16GB || Gigabyte Radeon RX 580 4GB || Kingston SSDNow UV400 480GB SSD & G.Skill Phoenix Pro Series 120GB SSD || Corsair RM850 Gold 850W || Asus Xonar D2 Ultra ||
Old 29th October 2012, 5:12 PM   #57
Scroosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuZeR View Post
Yeah Id rather pay $90 bucks in 2 years then buy it now for $30 with crappy bonuses like in game ships and stuff... /sarcasm
You buy games from EB? lawl
Scroosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2012, 5:52 PM   #58
BuZeR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroosh View Post
You buy games from EB? lawl
Everyone knows EB is the best place to get games!
Old 8th November 2012, 4:56 PM   #59
Rubberband

Confused.

I pledged on the website now it's being kickstarted???
Old 8th November 2012, 5:40 PM   #60
Sledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubberband View Post
Confused.

I pledged on the website now it's being kickstarted???
yep, but they're both linked..
Sledge is offline   Reply With Quote