Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > Hobby Engineering

Notices


Sign up for a free OCAU account and this ad will go away!
Search our forums with Google:
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 1st July 2013, 1:25 PM   #31
Ridox
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 323
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aXLe View Post
Yep - My original intent was to have it laser cut from aluminium. That is likely what I will still do, but I was curious about printing it instead.
got a waterjet here. pm me if you want a quote
__________________
Mark's Engineering
Ridox is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 1st July 2013, 1:39 PM   #32
ThankDog
(Banned or Deleted)
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Ballarat aka Boganville
Posts: 3,875
Default

I'm curious as to how much it would cost to print out things like wargaming miniatures and if it would be cost effective or even if there are patterns to be gotten from anywhere to do so?

'cause that would be awesome.
ThankDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2013, 8:18 PM   #33
Billzilla
Member
 
Billzilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Gold Coast
Posts: 2,250
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakeDude View Post
A question guys - if I wanted to print a ring, with the following dimentions, how much would it cost me?

Outside radius - 70.8mm
inside radius - 58.4mm
thickness: 11.4mm

It doesn't have to be solid, but it does need to be thick enough to not warp / bend under a little pressure.
I still suck too much at 3D CAD .... I can make the part but not convert it to a solid to then export as an STL file.
Gimme a bit more time ...... It wouldn't cost much though, I'd guess about $10 - $15.
__________________
www.billzilla.org
Billzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2013, 8:24 PM   #34
mtma
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 4,310
Default

I'm sure many here could make an STL of a ring very quickly though the difficulty is compensating it for the exact printer. (i.e I probably couldn't just make an STL of something and send it to someone else to print and expect it to come out right dimensionally)

What is your tolerance on the final dimensions?
mtma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2013, 9:45 PM   #35
Billzilla
Member
 
Billzilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Gold Coast
Posts: 2,250
Default

Ah I got it.
13.2 grams, call it $8.00 plus postage.
__________________
www.billzilla.org
Billzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2013, 8:37 AM   #36
QuakeDude
ooooh weeee ooooh
 
QuakeDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 8,239
Default

Hey Bilzilla,

Firstly - thanks for that. I'll sort something out with you shortly.

Secondly - if I can get you the STL files, then that's the best option? I'm happy to put the time in to learn Blender (used to do alot of 3D Studio back in the day, haven't touched anything since).

I want to add some small touches to the ring (like a groove and slightly chamfered edges) so let me see if I can get you something.
QuakeDude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2013, 9:13 AM   #37
Billzilla
Member
 
Billzilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Gold Coast
Posts: 2,250
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakeDude View Post
Hey Bilzilla,

Firstly - thanks for that. I'll sort something out with you shortly.

Secondly - if I can get you the STL files, then that's the best option? I'm happy to put the time in to learn Blender (used to do alot of 3D Studio back in the day, haven't touched anything since).

I want to add some small touches to the ring (like a groove and slightly chamfered edges) so let me see if I can get you something.
Yep STL files are the go.
Email them to me at - billzilla at billzilla dot org
__________________
www.billzilla.org
Billzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2013, 11:39 AM   #38
Lucifers Mentor
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 5,281
Default

I was wondering if anyone was able to print objects with a transparent resin (either clear, or, even better, coloured)?
Lucifers Mentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2013, 11:42 AM   #39
psychobunny
Member
 
psychobunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Melbournish 3750
Posts: 2,250
Default

you might be best off having something 'cut' out of perspex rather than printing

what were you thinking of having made?
__________________
Need a House built in Melbourne, particularly the north? Contact me for a good builder

Originally Posted by clinic: psychobunny'dô twice in one thread. Well played sir, well played...
Originally Posted by Agg: I am not good with computer.
psychobunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2013, 11:50 AM   #40
Lucifers Mentor
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 5,281
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychobunny View Post
you might be best off having something 'cut' out of perspex rather than printing

what were you thinking of having made?
Probably a better idea on reflection. I was looking at getting five objects made - one rectangular prism; one shaped like a concave lens; one shaped like a convex lens; a fourth one which would incorporate elements of both lenses; and a hollow cylinder. Possibly a second hollow cylinder of a much larger size.

Maximum dimensions for the smaller objects would be in the region of 100mm x 50mm x 50mm; the larger cylinder would be 250mm long and with a radius of about 75mm.

The reason I was initially thinking printed rather than cut would be so I'd have an accurate 3D model of the objects, rather than potentially have differences between the objects if anything came up in the printing process, though considering the scale of what I'm working with differences should be minor.
Lucifers Mentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2013, 11:55 AM   #41
psychobunny
Member
 
psychobunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Melbournish 3750
Posts: 2,250
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucifers Mentor View Post
Probably a better idea on reflection. I was looking at getting five objects made - one rectangular prism; one shaped like a concave lens; one shaped like a convex lens; a fourth one which would incorporate elements of both lenses; and a hollow cylinder. Possibly a second hollow cylinder of a much larger size.
cnc routing can give you the basic shape on the prisms, but if you intend to use them as a lense then you are going to need to do a lot of work on the surface finish.
the hollow cylinders might be something better suited to a lathe, again you are going to need to work on the finishes.

im not familiar with how waterjets or plasma cutters work on something like acrylic
__________________
Need a House built in Melbourne, particularly the north? Contact me for a good builder

Originally Posted by clinic: psychobunny'dô twice in one thread. Well played sir, well played...
Originally Posted by Agg: I am not good with computer.

Last edited by psychobunny; 5th July 2013 at 11:57 AM.
psychobunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2013, 1:31 PM   #42
Lucifers Mentor
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 5,281
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychobunny View Post
cnc routing can give you the basic shape on the prisms, but if you intend to use them as a lense then you are going to need to do a lot of work on the surface finish.
the hollow cylinders might be something better suited to a lathe, again you are going to need to work on the finishes.

im not familiar with how waterjets or plasma cutters work on something like acrylic
I wouldn't actually be using them as lesnes - the description was more just to describe the shapes, was mainly looking for things that were concave, convex, and a mix of the two. However, the application that I'm working on would require a decent (not lens like, but good) surface finish.

The main thing though are the convex, concave, mixed and rectangular prisms, the rest I can kind of hack together from off the shelf stuff if needs be.
Lucifers Mentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2013, 1:47 PM   #43
psychobunny
Member
 
psychobunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Melbournish 3750
Posts: 2,250
Default

well you could quite easily machine the 'blocks all in one go on a cnc router with the doublesided one being the painful one - can probably do it sideways or you'd need to flip it
for the job you'd need a bit with a 5cm cutting surface

and a block of pespex that is 5cm thick.... that will be pricey

hell of a lot cheaper if you make it out of wood if you just need the shapes
otherwise, 3d print it with a low infil so it is semi-hollow
__________________
Need a House built in Melbourne, particularly the north? Contact me for a good builder

Originally Posted by clinic: psychobunny'dô twice in one thread. Well played sir, well played...
Originally Posted by Agg: I am not good with computer.
psychobunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2013, 3:45 PM   #44
Lucifers Mentor
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 5,281
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychobunny View Post
well you could quite easily machine the 'blocks all in one go on a cnc router with the doublesided one being the painful one - can probably do it sideways or you'd need to flip it
for the job you'd need a bit with a 5cm cutting surface

and a block of pespex that is 5cm thick.... that will be pricey

hell of a lot cheaper if you make it out of wood if you just need the shapes
otherwise, 3d print it with a low infil so it is semi-hollow
Unfortunately, I need it to be transparent, and preferably uniform density within the objects. The objects could be shrunk thinner than 5cm, but not too much smaller.
Lucifers Mentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2013, 4:31 PM   #45
psychobunny
Member
 
psychobunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Melbournish 3750
Posts: 2,250
Default

just getting the stock on that you'd need to go to specialists; who can also do the work
given your in the eastern suburbs and post is likely to suck, try:
http://www.apresto.com.au/acrylic-fabrication-services/
http://www.mbplasticfabrications.com...abrication.php
AB Plastics Pty Ltd - (03) 9796 4030
http://www.dotmar.com.au/machined-plastic-products.html
__________________
Need a House built in Melbourne, particularly the north? Contact me for a good builder

Originally Posted by clinic: psychobunny'dô twice in one thread. Well played sir, well played...
Originally Posted by Agg: I am not good with computer.
psychobunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Sign up for a free OCAU account and this ad will go away!

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time now is 11:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
OCAU is not responsible for the content of individual messages posted by others.
Other content copyright Overclockers Australia.
OCAU is hosted by Micron21!