Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Manufacturer-specific Forums > Intel x86 CPUs and chipsets

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 30th May 2017, 3:24 PM   #61
Court Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geno View Post
What's it not doing that an Intel system did?
it does everything just not as fast as a 4 year old Intel platform
Court Jester is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 30th May 2017, 3:29 PM   #62
Court Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by mAJORD View Post
Dual channel is most certainly enough for 6 cores and 6+8MB L3.

the 4.66Ghz part i'm guessing.
yep

can only get 3.8ghz out of this 1700 with virtualization turned on -- a little higher without and it quite frankly sucks balls, loading times are noticeably faster in every game I play and OS boot times are terrible vs the intel system.

my 3820 was sitting at just under 4.8ghz and I had the 3930k at just under 4.7ghz on 6 cores

its only positive was its price, and I did not want to buy an obsolete x99 platform when x299 is so close but had no choice but to get something when my motherboard died. while it may be faster in benchmarks and programs I dont use for what matters to me is it at best an expenside side grade

I know though when I go to resell this ryzen dog ( like other in here have seen ) that I will take a big hit on the resale price.

After this dissapoitment of a ryzen system I have even lower hopes than I allready did ahve for vega

Last edited by Court Jester; 30th May 2017 at 3:32 PM.
Old 30th May 2017, 3:35 PM   #63
AbRASiON Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Court Jester View Post
it does everything just not as fast as a 4 year old Intel platform
Care to elaborate? What stuff have you noticed personally (rather than just benchmarks?)

I keep wondering if my aversion to Ryzen is unfounded, but my gut instinct says that basic Windows functions will be marginally slower than modern intel machines.
Consdiering my primary upgrade purchase is just **really snappy** general use, I don't wany Ryzen.
AbRASiON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2017, 3:54 PM   #64
Court Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbRASiON View Post
Care to elaborate? What stuff have you noticed personally (rather than just benchmarks?)

I keep wondering if my aversion to Ryzen is unfounded, but my gut instinct says that basic Windows functions will be marginally slower than modern intel machines.
Consdiering my primary upgrade purchase is just **really snappy** general use, I don't wany Ryzen.
I dont really run benchmarks, the only one is the bench mark built into CPUz which is slower single core performance on the ryzen vs my intel system

just windows boot times, game loading times are also noticebly slower on the ryzen vs my intel system and are both using the same SSD( 960 EVO) admittly I ahve 32gb of ram on the intel @ 2000mhz DDR3 vs 16gb DDR4 @ 2700mhz on Ryzen

for example, I dont have a password on my system and it loads straight into windows -- on my intel platform id press the power button and the desktop would be loaded by the time the screen turned on and started displaying.

the Ryzen system I see the loading screen and ahve to wait

these isnt a lot in it but again I am comparing a system that is months not years old and 2 x extra cores and it at best is a sideways step.
Old 30th May 2017, 5:04 PM   #65
neopheX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Court Jester View Post
I was in this exact situation

I had a 3930k @ 4.66ghz

my mobo died last friday. So I bought a Ryzen system

I am regretting this decision now

should have stuck with intel
Yeah I was keen on jumping X99 but I thought nope i'll wait. And don't really care for AMD myself. But I cannot wait to do another custom acrylic build on the x299 platform. I will definitely purchase either the 7900X or 7920X and I do hope the Rampage VI Extreme will be out the same time! Then we have the 1080 Ti kingpins on the horizon so can't wait to get two of them too! It's going to be an interesting 2nd half of 2017!

Here is a new article just released that's a good read about the new X299 platform.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11461/...d-x299-chipset
i7 3930K @ 4.9GHz 1.35v (Offset -0.010) / Custom Acrylic Loop / Rampage IV Extreme / G.Skill Ripjaws Z F3-32GB @2888Mhz / EVGA 780 Ti Classified's @ 1478mhz SLI / Corsair AX1200i Digital PSU / Samsung 840 Pro x4 500gb SSD's / Corsair 900D

Successful Sales: Over $1362

Last edited by neopheX; 30th May 2017 at 5:37 PM.
neopheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2017, 7:03 PM   #66
Aetherone

Quote:
Originally Posted by akashra View Post
remember the good old days where the PC *and* CRT monitor ran off a single 250W PSU?
Nope.
I *do* recall the days of 250w PSUs with mains-power passthrough for the monitor.
I also recall they used to do stupidly small amounts of computing for the watts they sucked.
Aetherone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2017, 7:20 PM   #67
FatBoyNotSoSlim

Quote:
Originally Posted by neopheX View Post
Yeah I was keen on jumping X99 but I thought nope i'll wait. And don't really care for AMD myself. But I cannot wait to do another custom acrylic build on the x299 platform. I will definitely purchase either the 7900X or 7920X and I do hope the Rampage VI Extreme will be out the same time! Then we have the 1080 Ti kingpins on the horizon so can't wait to get two of them too! It's going to be an interesting 2nd half of 2017!

Here is a new article just released that's a good read about the new X299 platform.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11461/...d-x299-chipset
I asked Vince about his cards, he'll be showing them off on Thursday. 👍
Old 31st May 2017, 8:04 AM   #68
neopheX

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBoyNotSoSlim View Post
I asked Vince about his cards, he'll be showing them off on Thursday. 👍
I did too 3 weeks ago he said Computex lol. We are so impatient haha.

I watched the ROG conference last night here is a link. The Rampage VI Extreme and Apex were talked about.

https://youtu.be/WdjsT5cgeZ4

Starts at 23m:40s

Also a link to the official ROG site:

https://rog.asus.com/articles/maximu...for-skylake-x/

I love the style of the Apex board it is something different. But I think I will still go for the RVIE. It looks like the Extreme is a lot smaller than last boards too? Or am I seeing things? Lol
i7 3930K @ 4.9GHz 1.35v (Offset -0.010) / Custom Acrylic Loop / Rampage IV Extreme / G.Skill Ripjaws Z F3-32GB @2888Mhz / EVGA 780 Ti Classified's @ 1478mhz SLI / Corsair AX1200i Digital PSU / Samsung 840 Pro x4 500gb SSD's / Corsair 900D

Old 31st May 2017, 8:51 AM   #69
FatBoyNotSoSlim

I'm at Computex, hence asked in person when I ran into him yesterday. 😎

His new x299 dark motherboard is insane. Back to the roots of overclocking without all the RGB wank LEDs.
Old 31st May 2017, 9:51 AM   #70
headin2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBoyNotSoSlim View Post
I'm at Computex, hence asked in person when I ran into him yesterday. 😎

His new x299 dark motherboard is insane. Back to the roots of overclocking without all the RGB wank LEDs.
No RGB, how is this even possible......WITCH WITCH WITCH!!!!
headin2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2017, 10:23 AM   #71
Myne_h

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aetherone View Post
Nope.
I *do* recall the days of 250w PSUs with mains-power passthrough for the monitor.
I also recall they used to do stupidly small amounts of computing for the watts they sucked.
Funny if you think about it.

We've probably kept net watts used roughly the same. We've just transferred all that power from the monitor to the PC.
Old 5th June 2017, 4:58 PM   #72
neopheX

So I am sure some of you are aware of the video Linus did on the whole Intel X299 thing. And it seems to be a lot of negativity surrounding it.

Not sure why, it's like people believe that board manufactures and Intel just created these chips and boards in 2 weeks when it would have been 30+ months.

Personally I am still going to do a build huge build with X299 with the 7900X at it's core (no pun intended) and a Rampage VI Extreme, the only thing I am a little bummed about is that the 7920X is released later which is what I wanted first but so be it. And I may need to delid it If I'm not happy with the temps but that's an easy fix.

What's everything thinking about the new platform? Who is upgrading?

Old 5th June 2017, 7:09 PM   #73
Dragonfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by neopheX View Post
So I am sure some of you are aware of the video Linus did on the whole Intel X299 thing. And it seems to be a lot of negativity surrounding it.
Probably the wrong thread for it since this is for z370 and not x299.
Old 8th June 2017, 8:42 AM   #74
trevor68

Speaking of wrong threads I'm so confused I have no idea which thread to read!

Where do I need to be if I'm going to upgrade my 5 year old Intel system around October/November this year, will anything actually be in stores by then?
trevor68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2017, 3:07 PM   #75
AfterBurner1

@trever68: I'd say it would be by then, generally with computex the soonest you see hardware that's announced or on display is about a fortnight as some products are already shipping whilst other take longer to get into distribution channels.

If i were you i'd short shift myself and find a 6700k cheap, a decent z270 board and max it's ram out and run that for the next few months if your in actual need of upgrade
AfterBurner1 is offline   Reply With Quote