OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Other Toys/Hobbies

Notices

Old 18th May 2017, 10:46 AM   #16
ASIGN_Baz Thread Starter
"Maker of awesome stuff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychobunny View Post
Im not the best at 3d drawings but i can do a decent enough job for my cnc router so I'm happy to volunteer whatever help i can give, even if you just need to bounce ideas off someone or tidy up some drawings, but doing a full scale CAD from just photos will be a challenge and may take some time.

It sounds like you want something like a CT scan done on the object and you still have the object.

If I were you I would touch base with a local makerspace that has a 3d scanner and see if they can help you out in trade for an Iron Man suit show and tell. eg https://www.makehackvoid.com/our-space/ in Giralang (I have no idea if that is anywhere near you)
Thanks mate. Yes, that place is on the other side of town, but only 1/2 hour away. Good to know.

So far my guy has found a couple of 3D CAD models online, just playing around now and sorting out software to see if he can slice it up and spit out some cross-sections for me to start cutting.

Hopefully, we won't even need to use the photos of my model.

I think what I'll do, is wait until I start making some decent headway with the build, then reveal all so you wonderful folks can enjoy the WIP.

Not much point until then. I hate procrastination so I'll show what I am doing, not what I'm going to do.

Baz.
ASIGN_Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2017, 8:02 AM   #17
DarthWindu

Is there an open book on what you're up to? Guessing could be fun.

God I hope you're making a 9m long Star Destroyer.
DarthWindu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2017, 8:07 AM   #18
Caffeine

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthWindu View Post
Don't we all!
Old 6th July 2017, 7:04 PM   #19
ASIGN_Baz Thread Starter
"Maker of awesome stuff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthWindu View Post
Is there an open book on what you're up to? Guessing could be fun.

Might be fun...

I have two CAD operators on the case now. Should be close to some shop drawings so I can get started. In the meantime I have build a workspace, jig and accumulated a ton and a half of material to get started.
Old 6th July 2017, 7:52 PM   #20
Micah.

I think/hope it's a big boat 😀
Old 8th July 2017, 8:27 AM   #21
Nitephyre

Iron Bazderwoman is moving into Railguns... knives got boring
Quote:
Originally Posted by benmagga View Post
There aren't too many things you can cuddle and BBQ
Nitephyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2017, 6:36 AM   #22
pelmen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASIGN_Baz View Post
Hey gang, I have some .LWO files and need to know what software opens it and if anyone has the software, or can provide a link to it free somewhere?

Or if anyone knows of a way to reliably convert the format to something compatible with autocad.
Now you're talking my language That's a Newtek Lightwave Object file (the 3d model itself) not a widely supported import format from what I've found but I have the software to convert to almost any other format if you need, no tinkering and no problem.

So far it sounds like something I could do and definitely something I have done from drawings included in scale model kits (search online for "blueprints", theres a heap of sites with orthogonal views scanned from paper instructions in plastic model kits). Have you searched sites like TurboSquid or Thingiverse to see if there is a 3D model already made that might suit? Again I could convert that to another 3D format for you if needed.

Direct measuring off a scale model itself amplifies tolerances from the moulding process and material shrinkage after casting and allowances for parts to fit. But it does give you fairly good dimension ratios to get features in proportion to each other. From there I used to try to find any technical specs that list an accurate dimension for something (eg overall length) and use that to determine scaling factor as a 1:32 will NOT be 32 times smaller than its lifesize version, it'll be approximate but not accurate. Even if you have good height, length, width dimensions they will all be different scales on the model. But those are the best to have to work with and will be closest but still you may need to average them to get a scaling factor to work with.

I would love to say I'll do it, but wouldn't want to let you down, sitting and breathing are enough of a struggle since my stroke (I built 3d models from my medical data after I got out of hospital). Converting model formats at least I should have no problem with. Slicing a model up like the horse in The Cage or cross sections of a ship hull maybe, but boolean operations like that can result in nasty polygons to clean up. To keep in mind if you need slices to go to a machine for fabrication/ etching / etc.

I threw out my 3D scanning turntable years ago when I was dabbling in 3D scanning with a camera (I dont know if your photos would be of much use, it required precise angle turns and a neutral bluescreen backdrop and good lighting to work, concave portions are problematic too. My 3d laser scanner is proving a hassle too getting the lasers focused.

Hell, if you get stuck I'll put my hand up, but you'll be dealing with more of a pain in the ass than you. Regular email comms no problem (unless i'm in bed), but i can't give timeframes just because everything takes me longer to do these days and I have no idea myself, I have no social life or family to intrude either and am still a perfectionist so will probably spend way too long tweaking as usual. But so far looks doable, not much interested in payment, I enjoy being useful. So let me know if you want to take a risk on me for help.
pelmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2017, 6:49 AM   #23
ASIGN_Baz Thread Starter
"Maker of awesome stuff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelmen View Post
Now you're talking my language That's a Newtek Lightwave Object file (the 3d model itself) not a widely supported import format from what I've found but I have the software to convert to almost any other format if you need, no tinkering and no problem.

So far it sounds like something I could do and definitely something I have done from drawings included in scale model kits (search online for "blueprints", theres a heap of sites with orthogonal views scanned from paper instructions in plastic model kits). Have you searched sites like TurboSquid or Thingiverse to see if there is a 3D model already made that might suit? Again I could convert that to another 3D format for you if needed.

Direct measuring off a scale model itself amplifies tolerances from the moulding process and material shrinkage after casting and allowances for parts to fit. But it does give you fairly good dimension ratios to get features in proportion to each other. From there I used to try to find any technical specs that list an accurate dimension for something (eg overall length) and use that to determine scaling factor as a 1:32 will NOT be 32 times smaller than its lifesize version, it'll be approximate but not accurate. Even if you have good height, length, width dimensions they will all be different scales on the model. But those are the best to have to work with and will be closest but still you may need to average them to get a scaling factor to work with.

I would love to say I'll do it, but wouldn't want to let you down, sitting and breathing are enough of a struggle since my stroke (I built 3d models from my medical data after I got out of hospital). Converting model formats at least I should have no problem with. Slicing a model up like the horse in The Cage or cross sections of a ship hull maybe, but boolean operations like that can result in nasty polygons to clean up. To keep in mind if you need slices to go to a machine for fabrication/ etching / etc.

I threw out my 3D scanning turntable years ago when I was dabbling in 3D scanning with a camera (I dont know if your photos would be of much use, it required precise angle turns and a neutral bluescreen backdrop and good lighting to work, concave portions are problematic too. My 3d laser scanner is proving a hassle too getting the lasers focused.

Hell, if you get stuck I'll put my hand up, but you'll be dealing with more of a pain in the ass than you. Regular email comms no problem (unless i'm in bed), but i can't give timeframes just because everything takes me longer to do these days and I have no idea myself, I have no social life or family to intrude either and am still a perfectionist so will probably spend way too long tweaking as usual. But so far looks doable, not much interested in payment, I enjoy being useful. So let me know if you want to take a risk on me for help.
Thank you sir! I will keep your very generous offer in mind, however my two guys seem to be handling it so far. One of them has been working with a 3D file he found online that is exquisitely close to my model and what I want to achieve.

He's in the process of closing all the gaps in the sections and refining the polygons to generate the slices I need as an end result. My other guy is on standby for the completed 3D polygon model file, then the two of them will be working off the same file.

I have it so they can take sections each to spread the load a bit. It also acts as a bit of insurance if one of them has to drop out because of life.

With that in mind, at least if they both drop out I will have the original file and won't have to start from scratch.....again...

Baz.
Old 16th July 2017, 12:32 PM   #24
Tiger Toast

Depending on what you're building it may be possible to get school STEM program to help. Got any more details you can pass on?
Tiger Toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2017, 12:37 PM   #25
ASIGN_Baz Thread Starter
"Maker of awesome stuff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Toast View Post
Depending on what you're building it may be possible to get school STEM program to help. Got any more details you can pass on?
Very hard to pass on anything without giving it away. Once I get into the build itself and have something to show, then I'll release all info. Until then, my two guys seem to be on top of it. Thanks mate.

Baz.
Old 3rd August 2017, 5:01 PM   #26
ASIGN_Baz Thread Starter
"Maker of awesome stuff"

GETSOME!!!! It BEGINS!!!

First set of blueprints for the new project. Spent the day clearing a ten metre workspace to build it.

I've traced out some templates onto a harder material today. Tomorrow i start cutting!

Old 3rd August 2017, 5:37 PM   #27
Micah.

I have to admit I am very excited to find out what you are building and to see it being built.
Old 3rd August 2017, 7:23 PM   #28
Alby1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASIGN_Baz View Post
This will be an epic project that will amaze all.
Can't even start to imagine what it is, if it is going to dwarf Iron man.
Old 4th August 2017, 6:10 AM   #29
underskore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alby1976 View Post
Can't even start to imagine what it is, if it is going to dwarf Iron man.
observatory/iron man/knives/wonder woman/???
gundam?
I'm just throwing it out there as they are large but it doesn't seem like the right fit
underskore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2017, 5:19 PM   #30
ASIGN_Baz Thread Starter
"Maker of awesome stuff"

I got a beaut chunk of steel I beam to make my straight jig. This will enable me to make nice straight modular sections that once finished, I can dismount, set aside and start on the next section.

Today I started cutting the material into the shapes I need to construct the first part of my new project. I got about 2 and a half metres worth of frame done.

I have around $700 worth of foam and plywood sheets, plus I got a whole stack of 1 inch thick produce boxes I can hot-wire into flat bits then glue and stack them together for sculpting. Still got to get a heap more. this will only get a bit of the job done.

Still have to aquire a stack of steel and aluminium RHS to build the internal support frame.