Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Manufacturer-specific Forums > Intel x86 CPUs and chipsets

Notices


Sign up for a free OCAU account and this ad will go away!
Search our forums with Google:
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 19th June 2017, 2:42 PM   #16
Court Jester Thread Starter
Member
 
Court Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Gold Coast
Posts: 1,018
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecondor View Post
"So, we've established that the Core i9-7900X is potentially a great overclocker and has superb performance at stock speed too, but what about Intel versus AMD? Well, in games such as Fallout 4, there's still very little difference. The Ryzen 7 1800X was a little slower in Ashes of the Singularity and Deus Ex, even when overclocked. However, the real question is value. The Core i9-7900X is more than twice the price of the Ryzen 7 1800X, yet in Terragen 4, Cinebench, and HandBrake and in games, it's far from being twice as fast. In fact, the deficits are almost exactly what we'd expect from a two-core/four-thread deficit.
"

Maybe you should have read this piece from the exact review you linked.

So you are going to pay twice as much for slightly better performace? TAKE MY MONEY.

no but I will pay for a i7 7800 with 6 cores which will cost less than a Ryzen 1800x and will be superior in single threaded performance by a good margin and overclock higher and probably be generally all round a better CPU / system.
__________________
Many suscessful trades over the past 11 years
------------------------------------------------
Current system: i7 3820 @ 4.6ghz
Court Jester is online now   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 19th June 2017, 2:43 PM   #17
Court Jester Thread Starter
Member
 
Court Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Gold Coast
Posts: 1,018
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
Are you talking about the 7900X vs the 1800X? You are comparing a $1000 USD cpu to one that costs $460 USD. Are you saying the 6 core CPU will have the same performance as the 10 core?
single threaded only I am talking about so 1 core vs 1 core which will be teh same on all sandy lake X chips -- absolutely dominate Ryzen

and saying overall from my back of teh envelope calculations I believe the 6 core 7800 will be as fast as the Ryzen 1800X when it is reviewed from what we are seeing on the 10 core chips in this early review, especially when overclocked -- which the 6 core should be able to hit even higher clocks than the 10 core that was reviewed
__________________
Many suscessful trades over the past 11 years
------------------------------------------------
Current system: i7 3820 @ 4.6ghz

Last edited by Court Jester; 19th June 2017 at 2:45 PM.
Court Jester is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2017, 2:45 PM   #18
OJR
Member
 
OJR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,549
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Court Jester View Post
single threaded only I am talking about so 1 core vs 1 core which will be teh same on all sandy lake X chips
Like Intel, you are a mess mate.
OJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2017, 2:52 PM   #19
Court Jester Thread Starter
Member
 
Court Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Gold Coast
Posts: 1,018
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OJR View Post
Like Intel, you are a mess mate.
yeah, I was lazy and copied + the existing thread title and missed that its all fixed up now

Ill concede the kaby lake X on the x299 platform is a bit of an odd decision by Intel, but I do think they will sell well especially if they are overclocking monsters as have been reported so far and the motherboards are not astronomically expensive for an entry level board.
__________________
Many suscessful trades over the past 11 years
------------------------------------------------
Current system: i7 3820 @ 4.6ghz
Court Jester is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2017, 2:52 PM   #20
Bertross
Member
 
Bertross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Melb, CBD
Posts: 12,742
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Court Jester View Post
no but I will pay for a i7 7800 with 6 cores which will cost less than a Ryzen 1800x and will be superior in single threaded performance by a good margin and overclock higher and probably be generally all round a better CPU / system.
whatever you spend on anything decent on the x299 platform you might as well put extra into a GPU if you game. Best buying into Ryzen be it a 1700x and X370/B350 unless you need more than 28 PCI-E lanes. Going Intel is not the smartest move if you need raid/more lanes/value.

Threadripper takes all issues out of buying choice VS the X299 platform. Besides if you're planning on requiring 8 cores (id argue if you only want 8 buy Ryzen 7) what are your purposes intended with high IPC anyways? You're best investing into more cores and Memory if workloads are your main objective.

If they are gaming only buy a 1600x and 1080ti????

Their is no scenario in my day to day work or gaming load that requires intel within a reasonible budget with the features from Ryzen provided. Anything on currently on the market on x99 or skylake is simply to expensive for what you get. Id rather save the premium on Intel current 8 cores Broadwell lineup and add 16GB more RAM into my build and put extra into something else like a better GPU or LCD or pocket etc.....

I dont hardly overclock and i dont see the real point anyways. If you need to overclock to make up for missing performance buy something better like more cores. I hardly talk about gaming performance on CPU's as i dont care for reaching that 144 + Frames. That's all on the GPU IMO... re above on money.

As for previous comments on Memory on Ryzen they are pretty much ironed out as far as i know. Ive been sitting on my rated speeds on my Tridents for months now and this baby boots fast and i never have had this system crash! 10 hours of The Witcher 3 over the weekend and no performance complaints.
__________________

EVGA GTX 1080TI FTW3 | RYZEN 1700+H100I | ASUS ROG BIG HERO 6+SAMSUNG 950 PRO M.2 | 32GB TRIDENT Z RGB 3000 | PHANTEKS ENTHOO EVOLV TEMPERED | DELL U3415W 34"

Last edited by Bertross; 19th June 2017 at 3:03 PM.
Bertross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2017, 3:06 PM   #21
Court Jester Thread Starter
Member
 
Court Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Gold Coast
Posts: 1,018
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertross View Post
whatever you spend on anything decent on the x299 platform you might as well put extra into a GPU if you game. Best buying into Ryzen be it a 1700x and X370/B350 unless you need more than 28 PCI-E lanes. Going Intel is not the smartest move if you need raid/more lanes/value.

Threadripper takes all issues out of buying choice VS the X299 platform. Besides if you're planning on requiring 8 cores (id argue if you only want 8 buy Ryzen 7) what are your purposes intended with high IPC anyways? You're best investing into more cores and Memory if workloads are your main objective.

If they are gaming only buy a 1600x and 1080ti????

Their is no scenario in my day to day work or gaming load that requires intel within a reasonible budget with the features from Ryzen provided. Anything on currently on the market on x99 or skylake is simply to expensive for what you get. Id rather save the premium on Intel current 8 cores Broadwell lineup and add 16GB more RAM into my build and put extra into something else like a better GPU or LCD or pocket etc.....

I dont hardly overclock and i dont see the real point anyways. If you need to overclock to make up for missing performance but something better like more cores. I hardly talk about gaming performance as i dont care for reaching that 144 + Frames. Thats all on the GPU IMO.

been there tried that I had a Ryzen system for about a week before I realised it both sucked and blew compared to my 4-year-old 3930k x79 system (@just under 4.7ghz)

Yes I mostly game ( well now mine ETH) on my gaming system and have a 2 x 1080ti's now as I could no longer wait for Vega ( which as the FE pricing has shown won't probably be competing on price -- $600 USD for a water cooler LOL) but do run some light usage VM's on it as well.

considering teh 7800 has hit new record clock speed highs under LN@ it looks like it will be an OC monster

so that is why I think this new platform looks exciting, with Great single threaded performance, good overclocking headroom and up to 18cores if you need them with an entry level price similar to the ryzen 7 so you wont be saving that much going the inferior AMD platform over intel.

also, I will be able to plug in any old 3200mhz ram into teh board and know it will just work unlike with Ryzen -- Winning right there.
__________________
Many suscessful trades over the past 11 years
------------------------------------------------
Current system: i7 3820 @ 4.6ghz

Last edited by Court Jester; 19th June 2017 at 3:13 PM.
Court Jester is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2017, 3:09 PM   #22
Bertross
Member
 
Bertross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Melb, CBD
Posts: 12,742
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Court Jester View Post
been there tried that I had a Ryzen system for about a week before I realised it both sucked and blew compared to my 4-year-old 3930k x79 system (@just under 4.7ghz)

Yes I mostly game ( well now mine ETH) on my gaming system and have a 2 x 1080ti's now as I could no longer wait for Vega ( which as the FE pricing has shown won't probably be competing on price -- $600 USD for a water cooler LOL)

so that is why I think this new platform looks exciting, with Great single threaded performance, good overclocking headroom and up to 18cores if you need them with an entry level price similar to the ryzen 7 so you wont be saving that much going the inferior AMD platform over intel.
sucked how? and the AMD platform is superior x399 vs x299 lol. I went from X99 (rampage extreme) to X370 btw. The buy in price for a equivalent socket 2011-3 was stupid hence my change to Ryzen. It cost me nothing to gain 4 cores from intel to AMD. Anyone on 6-8 cores on the x99 platform would be best doing nothing unless they sold their intel CPU early on for a premium price. I bet they bought Ryzen and pocketed money.

If your on two 1080tis why would you buy a mid range CPU if costs is not an issue? Might as well sit on whatever you have until Threadripper or Intel have their 12-18 cores out.

besides all that you have used up all your lanes BTW going intel. No room for m.2 or expansions cards down the track. I think you will find the the IPC you want is not that important at the end of the day. Well for me it isnt. I havent overclocked all that much since the x58 days. Never really needed too.
__________________

EVGA GTX 1080TI FTW3 | RYZEN 1700+H100I | ASUS ROG BIG HERO 6+SAMSUNG 950 PRO M.2 | 32GB TRIDENT Z RGB 3000 | PHANTEKS ENTHOO EVOLV TEMPERED | DELL U3415W 34"

Last edited by Bertross; 19th June 2017 at 3:17 PM.
Bertross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2017, 3:17 PM   #23
Supersize
Member
 
Supersize's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Gold Coast QLD
Posts: 1,351
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertross View Post
sucked how? and the AMD platform is superior x399 vs x299 lol. I went from X99 to X370 btw. The buy in price for a equivalent socket 2011-3 was stupid hence my change to Ryzen. It cost me nothing to gain 4 cores from intel to AMD.
I went from x99 (6900k/Strix) to a 7700k, I noticed the difference in lack of cores.
So the wife needs a new PC and I'll give her my 7700k.

I am still torn between a 7820k and a Ryzen 1700 build and all because of the memory issues.

They aren't 100% ironed out, only today I was reading on overclock.net someone couldn't get the Flare X running at 3200Mhz on a Crosshair (the board I was looking at).
I really wanted to run 32GB of ram, which is another headache in itself, though if you're saying the Trident 3000Mhz RGB 32GB kit works fine I my look at that.

It's just that Intel has been tried and tested for so long to have the least compatibility problems.
Supersize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2017, 3:22 PM   #24
Bertross
Member
 
Bertross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Melb, CBD
Posts: 12,742
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersize View Post
I went from x99 (6900k/Strix) to a 7700k, I noticed the difference in lack of cores.
So the wife needs a new PC and I'll give her my 7700k.

I am still torn between a 7820k and a Ryzen 1700 build and all because of the memory issues.

They aren't 100% ironed out, only today I was reading on overclock.net someone couldn't get the Flare X running at 3200Mhz on a Crosshair (the board I was looking at).
I really wanted to run 32GB of ram, which is another headache in itself, though if you're saying the Trident 3000Mhz RGB 32GB kit works fine I my look at that.

It's just that Intel has been tried and tested for so long to have the least compatibility problems.
yeah i bought 3000Mhz 32GB RAM its sitting at 15/16/16/16/32 T2 Hynix chips. I can't recall which EUFI im using but its working solid. From memory with this update i managed to overclock to 3.8Ghz with the memory at the same time and booted first go and sat that way ever since. All i knew was i needed 32GB over the speeds because i frequently use over 20-24GB of memory.

OJR also has the 1800x with Corsair RAM at 3200Mhz 16GB with tight timings and no issues. Small things like increasing the booting memory volts and making sure you use LLC seems to also make things smoother on cold boot. Anyways i wont flood this with AMD shit i just didnt really see the point in this X299 when its not much over x99. If anything its confusing and restricted on all fronts.
__________________

EVGA GTX 1080TI FTW3 | RYZEN 1700+H100I | ASUS ROG BIG HERO 6+SAMSUNG 950 PRO M.2 | 32GB TRIDENT Z RGB 3000 | PHANTEKS ENTHOO EVOLV TEMPERED | DELL U3415W 34"

Last edited by Bertross; 19th June 2017 at 3:25 PM.
Bertross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2017, 3:26 PM   #25
Supersize
Member
 
Supersize's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Gold Coast QLD
Posts: 1,351
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertross View Post
yeah i bought 3000Mhz 32GB RAM its sitting at 15/16/16/16/32 T2 Hynix chips. I can't recall which EUFI im using but its working solid. From memory with this update i managed to overclock to 3.8Ghz with the memory at the same time and booted first go and sat that way ever since. All i knew was i needed 32GB over the speeds because i frequently use over 20-24GB of memory.

OJR also has the 1800x with Corsair RAM at 3200Mhz 16GB with tight timings and no issues.
I just know that I could get the GTX1080ti and 1440p@144 Benq with the extra if I went a 1700 compared to getting the Intel.
1440p really makes the CPU less of a factor in gaming.


See a real life discussion on both the x299 and x370, the pro's and cons
Supersize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2017, 3:29 PM   #26
Bertross
Member
 
Bertross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Melb, CBD
Posts: 12,742
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersize View Post
I just know that I could get the GTX1080ti and 1440p@144 Benq with the extra if I went a 1700 compared to getting the Intel.
1440p really makes the CPU less of a factor in gaming.


See a real life discussion on both the x299 and x370, the pro's and cons
If i had to choose between intel and amd over the 1080ti, AMD + 1080ti anyday. 1080ti would be great for rendering and games. Sadly my budget was a 1070 but its fine for games at 2k res.

haha yeah i try to keep it in perspective for work loads. If i was a hardcore gamer with unlimited budget i wouldnt care. And at the end of the day this is healthy for us as a consumer regardless. Long gone are the days of expensive i7 quad cores....
__________________

EVGA GTX 1080TI FTW3 | RYZEN 1700+H100I | ASUS ROG BIG HERO 6+SAMSUNG 950 PRO M.2 | 32GB TRIDENT Z RGB 3000 | PHANTEKS ENTHOO EVOLV TEMPERED | DELL U3415W 34"

Last edited by Bertross; 19th June 2017 at 3:41 PM.
Bertross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2017, 3:33 PM   #27
Court Jester Thread Starter
Member
 
Court Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Gold Coast
Posts: 1,018
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersize View Post
I just know that I could get the GTX1080ti and 1440p@144 Benq with the extra if I went a 1700 compared to getting the Intel.
1440p really makes the CPU less of a factor in gaming.


See a real life discussion on both the x299 and x370, the pro's and cons

for me it was not so much the frame rate in game which I was running 2 x 290'x at the time @ 4k -- was roughly the same as far as I could tell it was the boot times into windows and loading times in my games using the same SSD( 960 EVO m.2.) was noticeably slower on the AMD platform which turned me off. -- also the terrible overclocks as well on the CPU

and

also the fact I could not get my 3200mhz memory to run @ 3200mhz really annoyed me. -- a problem that will simply not exist on the Intel systems and nor do I expect issues like it on the x299 boards either.
__________________
Many suscessful trades over the past 11 years
------------------------------------------------
Current system: i7 3820 @ 4.6ghz
Court Jester is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2017, 3:44 PM   #28
PureFire
Member
 
PureFire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 1,205
Default

With the recent i9-7900x benchmarks showing huge temperatures while overclocking it will be very interesting to see how Threadripper handles overclocking as the cores are separated and they are soldering the IHS versus Intel using paste.

If the 7900X has temperature troubles then the larger core variants are gonna struggle pretty bad.
__________________
Phanteks Enthoo Evolv | 6900K | Asus X99-A II | 32GB Corsair Vengeance | EVGA GTX1080 FTW | Samsung 4K JU7500 | Samsung 950 Pro 512MB|
Diablo 3 - puafia#1295
PureFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2017, 3:44 PM   #29
Supersize
Member
 
Supersize's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Gold Coast QLD
Posts: 1,351
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Court Jester View Post
also the fact I could not get my 3200mhz memory to run @ 3200mhz really annoyed me. -- a problem that will simply not exist on the Intel systems and nor do I expect issues like it on the x299 boards either.
And that's my concern, it does seem to be hit and miss when it comes to memory.
What works on one might not work on another, I know Intel will just work.

I guess I got until mid July, but I do research weeks in advance..lol..
Supersize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2017, 3:46 PM   #30
Bertross
Member
 
Bertross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Melb, CBD
Posts: 12,742
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersize View Post
And that's my concern, it does seem to be hit and miss when it comes to memory.
What works on one might not work on another, I know Intel will just work.

I guess I got until mid July, but I do research weeks in advance..lol..
yeah play the waiting game for sure.
__________________

EVGA GTX 1080TI FTW3 | RYZEN 1700+H100I | ASUS ROG BIG HERO 6+SAMSUNG 950 PRO M.2 | 32GB TRIDENT Z RGB 3000 | PHANTEKS ENTHOO EVOLV TEMPERED | DELL U3415W 34"
Bertross is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Sign up for a free OCAU account and this ad will go away!

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time now is 8:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
OCAU is not responsible for the content of individual messages posted by others.
Other content copyright Overclockers Australia.
OCAU is hosted by Micron21!