Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Manufacturer-specific Forums > Intel x86 CPUs and chipsets

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 13th August 2017, 3:08 AM   #886
Partha

Here's a overclocking guide for X299 Skylake X CPUs using a Gigabyte Motherboard

http://overclocking.guide/gigabyte-x...locking-guide/

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 13th August 2017, 1:39 PM   #887
Partha

An interesting topic from MSI -

DONíT WORRY ABOUT X299 VRM Ė UNLOCKING THE POTENTIAL OF X299 & OVERCLOCKING TIPS

https://www.msi.com/blog/Understandi...full-potential
Old 13th August 2017, 2:46 PM   #888
Ratzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partha View Post

DONíT WORRY ABOUT X299 VRM Ė UNLOCKING THE POTENTIAL OF X299 & OVERCLOCKING TIPS

Seems weird seeing a mobo company recommending running a CPU naked.
Quote:
Originally Posted by seizium View Post
I did visit the NBN van today at Westfields North Lakes, but their internet connection wasn't working so they couldn't give me any information
My Rig
Ratzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2017, 5:42 PM   #889
pocketfluff

Quote:

"Hold your horses on picking a new motherboard, CPU and memory: Check your power supply first"
pocketfluff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2017, 6:44 PM   #890
Scarecow

So how likely is it that the X299 platform will last more then one gen of Intel Cpus?
Scarecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2017, 6:56 PM   #891
OJR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarecow View Post
So how likely is it that the X299 platform will last more then one gen of Intel Cpus?
The chipset seems fine. It's the CPUs that are an epic fail.
OJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2017, 7:43 PM   #892
Scarecow

Quote:
Originally Posted by OJR View Post
I'm more worried about the chipset only lasting a single gen of cpus and having to upgrade my cpu and mobo instead of just the CPU ala AM4 or TR4
Scarecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2017, 7:44 PM   #893
Aetherone

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketfluff View Post
"Hold your horses on picking a new motherboard, CPU and memory: Check your power supply first"
$6000 for CPU, mobo, ram and VGA cards. Yeah the $60 SHAW 15000W will power it just fine...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarecow View Post
Its a pretty safe historical bet it will get two generations of the HEDT line before the socket and chipset are deemed "obsolete".
Aetherone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2017, 8:35 PM   #894
Partha

Quote:
I am not sure if you are trolling or not? Can you please enlighten me on your expertise as to why you call X299 CPUs as epic fail - since you seem to be such a CPU guru it seems? The only thing that is wrong with the X299 CPUs is that they have cheap TIM under the IHS as compared to soldered IHS of the Ryzen. Funnily enough even with cheap TIM, the deca core processor 7900X easily overclocks to 4.6 Ghz avg and the octa core processor 4.8 Ghz average, undelided. Even with soldered IHS the Ryzen and the threadripper goes up to 3.9 Ghz on an average - CPUs with IPC equal to two generations old Intel processors, can you even imagine how high the Ryzen CPUs would have overclocked without having soldered IHS - Ryzen are great CPUs ! Ryzen did not go soldered IHS because they are the good guys doing a favour to general masses out of kindness and goodwill from their heart, they are a business too, but because there CPUS would fail to overclock even to 3.9 Ghz without soldered IHS. Compare an octa core Intel to Octa core Ryzen, see who wins. Heck even the deca core 7900x is beating the hexa core 1950x Threadripper in some tests, in simple taks like gaming and streaming at the same time ( http://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews...-review/page-2) . Will see how the 16 core Thread Ripper 1950x stands against the 16 core i9- 7960x Intel processor. Heck the so called great Threadripper CPU cant even get 16 thread in one die, they have to cobble up two of them together to get to 16 core. And if you going game mode, it actually get down to a octa core Ryzen 1800 level - yeh great CPUs, just because they have extra power PCIE lanes ! If you are happy with your substandard performing CPUs with two year old IPC performance just because they are cheap, enjoy it, no need to troll here. Being cheap is an enticing thing no doubt, but does not equate to great performance most of the time, and in this case, Ryzen is no match to Intel's X299 in terms of sheer performance.

Last edited by Partha; 14th August 2017 at 9:06 PM.
Partha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2017, 9:23 PM   #895
OJR

That's it. The cheap TIM, the gimped
PCI-E lanes and then of course kaby-x. Calm down champ, even the biggest die hard Intel fanboys admit that it's a mess.

When you bring pricing into it, the whole Intel HEDT range is useless.
OJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2017, 9:41 PM   #896
Court Jester Thread Starter

Quote:
Heck the so called great Threadripper CPU cant even get 16 thread in one die, they have to cobble up two of them together to get to 16 core.
Glued is the correct term

lets not forget the Ram issues and the IHS only being partly covered. x299 may run a little hot but it is by far the better choice over a ryzen.

no one wishes they bought the camry(ryzen) over the proche(skylake-x)

Quote:
PCI-E lanes and then of course kaby-x. Calm down champ, even the biggest die hard Intel fanboys admit that it's a mess.

still more lanes on any pu than ryzen LOL

I can also raid my m.2 drives -- can you do that on ryzen????????????????

its quite ironic really you are one of the worlds biggest AMD fan bois wont even touch Threadripper.

Last edited by Court Jester; 14th August 2017 at 9:45 PM.
Court Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2017, 9:48 PM   #897
Dragonfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Court Jester View Post
I can also raid my m.2 drives -- can you do that on ryzen????????????????
Raid 0 M.2 so you can load windows that little bit faster?
Old 14th August 2017, 9:49 PM   #898
PureFire

I still dont understand why anyone would want to raid NVME for their boot drive, of all things.
Diablo 3 - puafia#1295
PureFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2017, 9:50 PM   #899
Court Jester Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
Raid 0 M.2 so you can load windows that little bit faster?
I can load everything faster not just windows.
Court Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2017, 10:06 PM   #900
Partha

Quote:

Kaby Lake X is a non-issue. You dont want it on X299 Motherboards , dont use it. It's not very confusing is it ?

What do you say about cheap TIM processors still able to overclock higher then your solder IHS Ryzen/Threadripper, oh why doesnt your great processors overclock to 4.6 to 5 GHz with soldered IHS ? How the IHS is glued doesnt make a processor great if it's IPC is couple of genrations behind?

And extra PCIE lanes, are you conviniently forgetting that the so called great Ryzen 1800X has only 16 PCIE lanes ? Of Fanboy memories are so sort and selective in nature . And if you get a 7900x and above, 44 PCIE lanes is enough for x16 x16 SLI. With the pitiful support of SLI/Crossfire in games these days, even 28 PCIE lanes is practically enough. The fps you will loose because of x16 x8 SLI is not even noticable, but if your IPC is two generations old, you will indeed see noticable difference in performance.

Look I am not saying everything in intel X299 processors is fine, there are no issues, yes I would like a soldered TIM, yes I would ideally like atleast 40 PCIE lanes in the octa core processor at least. But even with it's existing points noted above, Intel X299 is a far superior product - with it's two generations better IPC and better over clockability. Like I said compare an octa core Intel vs Octa core Ryzen, Inteal is indeed superior in every aspect.

Your next point is pricing. Yes Intel it is more expensive, but then again when your only competitor is two generation behind you in performance, every business man would charge a premium for a better product, so does Intel. After all both Intel and AMD are companies here to make profit, both are answerable to there shareholders, and every shareholder wants more profit, so if you have a better product, you charge more, it is simple economics.