Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Game Consoles

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 19th July 2017, 5:25 PM   #16
elvis
Old school old fool

I poked them on Facebook and asked if it would be another "ARM CPU, emulation box". I was told assuredly that this would be "totally different".

Not sure what "totally different" means. MIPS CPU and emulation box? x86 CPU and emulation box?

Either way, I'm kind of over the hype they're trying to drum up. Just get the damned thing to market already. Emulation isn't magical any more, and people just want a legal way to easily play games without fucking around.

The RetroUSB guys did an awesome job with their AVS console (FPGA NES). You can play real hardware NES games, and the console "knows" how to pluck the high scores or speedruns out of certain games. From there, you can upload them to a score boards online. Adding that sort of functionality is a great way to extend these old games and add a bit of community around them.

If Atari could combine that with some good user forums, they've got a winner. But if they're going to take months to crowdfund something an RPi can already do for half the price, then they've already lost.

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 19th July 2017, 5:32 PM   #17
power

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis View Post
.......they've already lost.
elvis' prediction for the future of this device!
Old 19th July 2017, 7:20 PM   #18
elvis
Old school old fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by power View Post
elvis' prediction for the future of this device!
Heh, maybe.

The NES Mini trumped an RPi setup by making ease of use and save states fall-off-a-log easy. They also capitalised on existing controllers, making them pin-compatible with Wii/WiiU classic controllers. Anyone with a bit of Linux know-how could easily have made an equivalent, but that's a fraction of the population.

If you just want to play Atari games on your computer, you can do that already via archive.org for free:
https://archive.org/details/atari_2600_library

This AtariBox seems to be offering USB for controls. What interests me, however, is that they've said 4 USB ports will be on offer. That makes me wonder... what Atari games were 4 player? The one that comes to mind is the arcade version of Gauntlet. And if they're offering Atari arcade games on top of console games as some sort of uber-collection, then perhaps it could be worth it after all?

But either way, enough with the mystery and hype. Just show us your bloody intentions already. Emulation boxes aren't new, and there's no wow-factor to capitalise on any more. Delays are just causing people to lose interest, and that's a death knell in the attention economy.
Old 19th July 2017, 8:32 PM   #19
power

I actually think USB ports is a big mistake people want wireless controllers.
Old 19th July 2017, 8:42 PM   #20
elvis
Old school old fool

Quote:
I actually think USB ports is a big mistake people want wireless controllers.
whynotboth.jpg

Seriously though, this whole "maybe arcade emulation too?" thought process has my brain running wild. 3 player "Sprint" with a wheel for each person? "3D Race Drivin'", "Hydro Thunder", or "San Francisco Rush" with a wheel (and/or force feedback)?

MOTHERFLIPPIN "STAR WARS" WITH A YOKE?

See, now I've set myself up for disappointment.
Old 19th July 2017, 8:44 PM   #21
power

Maybe games that need paddles, lol.
Old 19th July 2017, 9:04 PM   #22
Krumm

Supposedly they aren't just dipping into their archives but will also be making modern titles was mentioned in one of the numerous coverage articles / vids floating about but take it all with a grain of salt.

Doesn't really make sense to step into the ring with the big 3 and attempt to compete so I would assume they would capitalise on the retro nostalgia with some kind of emulator device to play their back catalog. Something akin to the NES Mini with bundled titles and perhaps a store to buy more?
Krumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2017, 7:53 AM   #23
elvis
Old school old fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krumm View Post
Something akin to the NES Mini with bundled titles and perhaps a store to buy more?
That would be the smart move. I think Atari got shafted by the whole Microsoft Game Room thing (I worked with a bunch of ex-Krome guys at a previous job, and heard the whole terrible story from them). And I know they've been struggling financially since forever.

Hopefully if they can offer some sort of service like Game Room, but one that they control, they can get somewhere this time. But given their current management, I remain pessimistic.
Old 20th July 2017, 7:56 AM   #24
power

Game Room while nice was never going to be a big deal imo. Microsoft shaft everyone though, hell I don't know why ppl sign up to do things with them anymore they are shafting people left right and centre.

Saw this last night and had a good laugh.

Old 20th July 2017, 8:20 AM   #25
elvis
Old school old fool

Quote:
Microsoft shaft everyone though
I'll never forgive them for the Dreamcast! *shakes fist at sky*

Quote:
Saw this last night and had a good laugh.

Hahaha I think anyone who makes a console even vaguely waffle-iron/george-foreman-grill shaped in the modern era is asking for a meme at their expense.
Old 20th July 2017, 9:33 AM   #26
power

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis View Post
omg, that thread I predicted the Switch in it - go me. (Tegra powered portable that hooks up to the tele).

And how times change, I hate Sony less and MS more - but I still think MS are more progressive (or should that be aggressive?).
Old 20th July 2017, 9:41 AM   #27
elvis
Old school old fool

Quote:
omg, that thread I predicted the Switch in it - go me. (Tegra powered portable that hooks up to the tele).
Yeah, I re-read it just before. You were pretty bang on the money for a bunch of things! Your crystal ball was on fire. I hope you made some good financial investments that week too.

Quote:
And how times change, I hate Sony less and MS more - but I still think MS are more progressive (or should that be aggressive?).
Purely from a gaming perspective, I can't choose a favourite out of any vendor right now. Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo all both please and shit me off in equal measure, but across different aspects of their businesses and offerings.