Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > Business & Enterprise Computing

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old Yesterday, 2:15 PM   #24961
bcann

Default ok so maybe not enterprise

Thanks APC,

For supplying a brand new UPS which i purchased, but no freaken USB cable for which i can monitor your UPS and appropriately shut down my boxes.

bcann is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old Yesterday, 2:25 PM   #24962
tree86ers

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcann View Post
Thanks APC,

For supplying a brand new UPS which i purchased, but no freaken USB cable for which i can monitor your UPS and appropriately shut down my boxes.

no spare printer cable around?
Main PC "Tensa Zangetsu" - MB "eVGA X99 Classified" - CPU "i7 6800k" - RAM "corsair dominator platinum 32gb" - GPU "evga GTX 1080 FTW x 2" Trans-code PC "Hyōrinmaru" - MB "ASUS P9X79" - CPU "Xeon E5 2670" - RAM "corsair LP 32gb" - GPU "eVGA GTX 960 2GB" LAN PC "Zangetsu" - MB "EVGA Z77 Stinger" - CPU "i7 3770k" - RAM "corsair LP 16gb" - GPU "eVGA GTX 980 4GB"
tree86ers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 2:33 PM   #24963
bcann

Quote:
Originally Posted by tree86ers View Post
no spare printer cable around?
the ups is for my home, and yes i'm sure i have one, but still..... would a $1 USB A --> B cable really break their bank?
Old Yesterday, 2:35 PM   #24964
power

Quote:
the ups is for my home, and yes i'm sure i have one, but still..... would a $1 USB A --> B cable really break their bank?
times a million ups'?

printer manufacturers stopped giving these out years ago to.
Old Yesterday, 2:49 PM   #24965
cvidler

Quote:
Thanks APC,

They're not free, and knowing APC probably some proprietary wired one (thus frightfully expensive).

My old Smart-UPS 3000's say next to the USB port - APC USB cable only. I investigated, and found some eBay smart slot network cards cheaper. So my UPS' are networked not USB'd
cvidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 2:54 PM   #24966
Doc-of-FC

Quote:
I still expect a $5 null modem cable.

After the 5v rise break command failing on many a cheap usb to serial adaptor thanks to the slimmer is better generation. give me a DE-9 interface any day.

Aten UC232A is my friend
Doc-of-FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 3:23 PM   #24967
EvilGenius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic_Silver08 View Post
What's even worse is when you have to tell the level 1 support to check with the user if there's paper.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvidler View Post
They're not free, and knowing APC probably some proprietary wired one (thus frightfully expensive).

My old Smart-UPS 3000's say next to the USB port - APC USB cable only. I investigated, and found some eBay smart slot network cards cheaper. So my UPS' are networked not USB'd
My smart ups 3000 has 'usb' labelled above an RJ-45 port, and a serial port. RJ45 has no pins in it, just a blank port, and the serial port either doesn't work or requires some special APC cable. Sigh.
Wanted - N64 console - decent controller/s
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 3:32 PM   #24968
cvidler

GPU accelerated whitebox token ring 10GE routers must be power hungry

http://forums.overclockers.com.au/sh....php?t=1226490

(oh and fuck Dell for, still, making non-standard power plugs).
Old Yesterday, 3:34 PM   #24969
cvidler

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius View Post
My smart ups 3000 has 'usb' labelled above an RJ-45 port, and a serial port. RJ45 has no pins in it, just a blank port, and the serial port either doesn't work or requires some special APC cable. Sigh.
Depending on the model, yeah USB was a cost added feature. And yeah the serial cable is special if you want to use the smart features of the UPS (there is plenty of help online for modifying a standard cable to an APC one).
Old Yesterday, 3:34 PM   #24970
bcann

Quote:
yep i dropped a server after putting in what i thought was the right DB9 serial cable only to find it wasn't when the UPS instantly turned off upon plugging in that cable...

EEEK
Old Yesterday, 3:35 PM   #24971
looktall
Working Class Hero

Quote:
the serial port either doesn't work or requires some special APC cable. Sigh.
just make your own.

http://pinoutguide.com/visual/gen/apc_smart_cable.jpg
looktall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 4:58 PM   #24972
Frozen_Hell

Quote:
yep i dropped a server after putting in what i thought was the right DB9 serial cable only to find it wasn't when the UPS instantly turned off upon plugging in that cable...

EEEK
Oh yeah, that is a "feature" from APC. Never, ever plug in a normal serial cable to what looks like the serial port on an APC as it will shut it down. Had that happen at a previous workplace where a co-worker did that.... yeah, they had fun writing that incident report.