Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Manufacturer-specific Forums > Other CPUs and chipsets

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 23rd January 2017, 2:20 PM   #2116
pantner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakiller View Post
CM3's are $40 and dev kits are $280

I just ordered half of the element14's stock in CM3's
Is it possible to get the breakout board thing as a separate part? Or do you have to buy it in the Dev Kit?
Intel i7 860, Gigabyte PA55-UD5, 2x4GB DDR3, 300GB Velociraptor, 2x2TB Seagate SATA in RAID 0, NVIDIA GTX580, Pioneer DVD burner, Silverstone OP850W, ASUS 23" LCD, Acer 23" LCD, Microsoft X6, Microsoft Intellimouse, Noctua NH-D14
pantner is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 24th January 2017, 7:26 AM   #2117
KaiShin

Wondering if I can get a bit of help from you guys...
All of a sudden I'm having a hell of a time trying to create a bootable sd card for my Raspberry Pi, I've made several RasPlex clients and 2 RetroPi ones before but somehow I just can't get this one to work...

I downloaded the latest RetroPi image (Pi2 and Pi3 version going into a Pi2), unzipped it and then mounted it via Win32 Disc Imager I've tried 3 different SD cards and can't get it to boot...

I've pulled both a working RetroPi and Rasplex SD card from 2 other Pis and it boots perfectly in the Pi I'm trying to build... I'm at a loss, can anyone offer any suggestion?
KaiShin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2017, 10:42 AM   #2118
KaiShin

Looks like I've found the issue...
Seems to be a problem with my tablet... I was writing the SD card with my tablet's SD card slot (as previously). I ended up rewriting the card with my NUC and it works perfectly...

What a strange problem to have!
KaiShin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2017, 4:31 PM   #2119
KuNFuSHuN

I have a raspberry pi model b laying around and wondering what i can use this for. I originally had raspbmc but a couple of years back i upgraded to the pi2 with osmc.

Would the original pi1 model b run the retropi emulator too slow or have slow downs during play?

Is there anything else fun to play around with for someone that does not have advanced skills in coding or terminal/command line skills?
KuNFuSHuN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2017, 5:04 PM   #2120
MUTMAN

pi 1 will run basic older mame games fine
elvis made a dedicated moon patrol with one iirc
MUTMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2017, 5:10 PM   #2121
birdie

I also have a spare RPi B v1... im not sure what to use it for yet.

I have a RPi 3 that i use with OctoPrint for monitoring and controlling my 3D Printer...
birdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2017, 6:56 PM   #2122
elvis
Old school old fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuNFuSHuN View Post
I have a raspberry pi model b laying around and wondering what i can use this for. I originally had raspbmc but a couple of years back i upgraded to the pi2 with osmc.

Would the original pi1 model b run the retropi emulator too slow or have slow downs during play?

Is there anything else fun to play around with for someone that does not have advanced skills in coding or terminal/command line skills?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTMAN View Post
pi 1 will run basic older mame games fine
elvis made a dedicated moon patrol with one iirc
Yup:
http://forums.overclockers.com.au/sh....php?t=1150924

80's games and 8 bit titles are no problems with a first gen Pi, single core.

90's games and 16bit titles prefer a newer multi-core Pi2 or Pi3 (not so much the multi-core itself, but those Pis were a newer architecture, had hardware floating point, better performance per clock cycle, and could run a little faster without problems).
Old 22nd March 2017, 10:31 PM   #2123
DarkStyle

Just wondering where the best place to buy a raspberry Pi 3 (in terms of price or supporting the local community)...
DarkStyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2017, 11:52 PM   #2124
Foliage

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuNFuSHuN View Post

Can just play with the emulators on your PC to start with if you want?
Old 23rd March 2017, 12:05 AM   #2125
elvis
Old school old fool

Raspberry Pi (across all models) has officially beaten the Commodore 64 (across all variants) to become the third best selling personal computer platform of all time:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/magpi/raspberry-pi-sales/

Apple Mac and "IBM Compatible" x86 PC of course come in #2 and #1 respectively.

Not to shabby for the young Pi. Give it a while and I'm sure they'll top the entire Commodore/Amiga family.
Old 23rd March 2017, 12:06 AM   #2126
[MadHatteR]

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStyle View Post
Just wondering where the best place to buy a raspberry Pi 3 (in terms of price or supporting the local community)...
I picked up a Pi3 Kit a few weeks ago from Logicware to build a media player from. I had some questions before purchasing which they replied incredibly quickly and helpfully. They're based in WA, happy to help an Oz business, even though it's a few bucks more than some of the other international sellers.

Worth noting that some of their kits include heatsinks and fans installed, which save trouble of sourcing your own if you are planning to run intensive tasks.
[MadHatteR] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2017, 2:19 AM   #2127
DarkStyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by [MadHatteR] View Post
I picked up a Pi3 Kit a few weeks ago from Logicware to build a media player from. I had some questions before purchasing which they replied incredibly quickly and helpfully. They're based in WA, happy to help an Oz business, even though it's a few bucks more than some of the other international sellers.

Worth noting that some of their kits include heatsinks and fans installed, which save trouble of sourcing your own if you are planning to run intensive tasks.
Could you make any recommendations for which kit might be best suited for this purpose?

I know it says Pi2 and the kits you've linked are Pi3 but ideally, I'd like to buy a kit with enough upfront expense/grunt to last me awhile
Old 23rd March 2017, 8:41 AM   #2128
[MadHatteR]

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStyle View Post
Could you make any recommendations for which kit might be best suited for this purpose?

I know it says Pi2 and the kits you've linked are Pi3 but ideally, I'd like to buy a kit with enough upfront expense/grunt to last me awhile
Personally, I would just opt for the Pi 3 for a few reasons - It has onboard wifi/BT, is significantly faster than the Pi 2, supports 64-bit instructions and isn't that much more expensive that I've seen. Somebody feel free to correct me as I'm going off memory. Plus, if you ended up keeping the unit for a while, having the extra capability there to use it for other projects in the future without having to worry about performance is nice.

I was reading a benchmark comparison of different boards the other day (http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...march-2017-arm), the Pi 3 falls around the middle or so, but I think for a beginner like me, the huge community and abundance of addons makes it worthwhile.

As for the task you've linked, I'm unfamiliar with nodes, but this thread and this comment in particular might be worth reading - https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/com...de_on/czkuinh/
[MadHatteR] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2017, 5:36 PM   #2129
DarkStyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by [MadHatteR] View Post
Personally, I would just opt for the Pi 3 for a few reasons - It has onboard wifi/BT, is significantly faster than the Pi 2, supports 64-bit instructions and isn't that much more expensive that I've seen. Somebody feel free to correct me as I'm going off memory. Plus, if you ended up keeping the unit for a while, having the extra capability there to use it for other projects in the future without having to worry about performance is nice.

I was reading a benchmark comparison of different boards the other day (http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...march-2017-arm), the Pi 3 falls around the middle or so, but I think for a beginner like me, the huge community and abundance of addons makes it worthwhile.

As for the task you've linked, I'm unfamiliar with nodes, but this thread and this comment in particular might be worth reading - https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/com...de_on/czkuinh/
Thanks for the advice. Its more economical and environmentally friendly to have a Pi or two running than a full desktop machine. I'll plan a purchase accordingly
Old 4th April 2017, 1:41 PM   #2130
nogi

Anyone built a multi IP camera viewer with their Pi? I'm not wanting NVR functions, just want a way to do realtime viewing of my cameras on TV.