Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > Storage & Backup

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 20th March 2017, 10:07 AM   #1
martini.txt Thread Starter

Default FreeNAS Corral and Docker Apps

Hi all,

Recently set myself up an HP Microserver and spent hours agonising over getting freenas 9 running with jails/plugins.

Now I've upgraded the system to freenas corral which does away with the jails and plugins and moves over to the docker platform

I have it mostly working again, plex runs fine, sickrage/sickbeard runs fine and deluge runs fine, but the docker applications write their own permissions to newly created files in the filestore.

I.e. sickrage finds new content, pushes it to deluge which downloads the content, then deluge is unable to move the incomplete file to the completed directory for processing.

The 'workaround' is to re apply permissions to the whole filestore but obviously this is not a workable solution, has anyone got a good holding on how to apply permissions correctly for docker?

If i can't get it working i'm thinking of just ditching it for a linux distro and doing it all in gui

edit: I'm thinking maybe the docker host auto sets up a permission set and I confused myself by giving the docker host a dumb name... TBD
Micro - HP N40L w/ Ubuntu, Sickrage, Plex, Deluge
Garage - Honda Hornet 900 & Fiesta ST & BF XR6 Turbo

Last edited by martini.txt; 20th March 2017 at 11:27 AM.
martini.txt is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 22nd March 2017, 9:12 AM   #2

Well, I gave up and re did it inside Ubuntu... now working properly again.

Cheers
Old 28th March 2017, 10:58 PM   #3
Excellent Mong.

I am about to have this problem as I upgrade from a N40L microserver to a new Xeon-based box. I'll be going from 9.10 to Corral and switching over pretty much the same plugins.

With the benefit of hindsight, do you think it would have been viable to run Ubuntu as a VM inside FreeNAS?
Excellent Mong. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2017, 9:16 AM   #4
Gonadman2

It looks like iX Systems are abandoning Corral and moving back to 9.10. You might want to hold off a little longer...

https://www.servethehome.com/freenas...ly-halted-now/
Gonadman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2017, 3:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excellent Mong. View Post
I am about to have this problem as I upgrade from a N40L microserver to a new Xeon-based box. I'll be going from 9.10 to Corral and switching over pretty much the same plugins.

With the benefit of hindsight, do you think it would have been viable to run Ubuntu as a VM inside FreeNAS?
Pointless extra overhead on an already fairly week CPU. Life after switching to Ubuntu has been a dream. So much easier to configure this torrent box setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonadman2 View Post
It looks like iX Systems are abandoning Corral and moving back to 9.10. You might want to hold off a little longer...

https://www.servethehome.com/freenas...ly-halted-now/
Yep heard the same this morning. Lead dev of corral apparently left and the rest of the team can't support it. It will keep going but as a "preview" build rather than a stable build... such a shame after the big song and dance they did after releasing it.
Old 16th April 2017, 1:30 PM   #6
Excellent Mong.

Per the communication from iX Systems so far, there were a number of underlying issues in Corral that triggered the decision to revert to the more stable 9.10 base. It's been said that Docker will be re-integrated into 9.10 in update 9.10.4, however this will follow 9.10.3 to be released in May. Who knows how long it will actually take?

Unfortunate for users who upgraded mostly due to the ease of the Docker ecosystem (such as myself), but not catastrophic. It's just a trigger to re-investigate using a manually-implemented VM in FreeNAS 9.10 for the media stuff, whether it be Ubuntu like or a more Docker-friendly Linux VM. Good opportunity to learn something new.

I've now migrated to a Xeon 1230v5 / Supermicro X11-based build, so I have plenty of headroom for experimentation on how best to achieve this. I'll keep the thread updated if there's any ongoing interest.
Old 16th April 2017, 8:07 PM   #7
davros123

Lols!

Look, I admit I do not really like the free nas crew and their arrogance and this made me happy

sorry to be petty and base, but I love a train wreck as much as the next guy. Eat som humble pie freenas f*ckers!

(comments directed to freenas forum zealots who all seem to think their sh*t did not stink - not ocau members).
yeah well I just reported my own post...ferk....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinky View Post
If you have become content with the size of your e-penis, sticking clear of rack mounted stuff will save you heaps of $$$.

Last edited by davros123; 16th April 2017 at 11:36 PM.
davros123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2017, 4:45 PM   #8
Excellent Mong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davros123 View Post
(comments directed to freenas forum zealots who all seem to think their sh*t did not stink - not ocau members).
To be fair, this has been a lot better lately. A couple of former moderators seem to have been asked to settle down / stop posting, so there's less inclination to tear a newbie a new asshole over things such as not using ECC memory - although it will be noted, because the recommended hardware calls for it. Getting rid of the more aggressive posters has made it more constructive - which in turn, seems to have lead to more guides being created both on the forums and on YouTube.

Fairly massive clanger with Corral though. As someone who got burned, I'm trying to think about it positively - wasting 40-50hrs of my life is a good lesson not to rely on x.0 software. Lot of people bleating about how inconvenient it is, they could do well to take it as a lesson too.