Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > Networking, Telephony & Internet

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 19th March 2017, 11:36 PM   #346
looktall
Working Class Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupremeMoFo View Post
If your sync speed has dropped, call your ISP. They'll probably want you to try an alternate RJ12 cable and modem before escalating to NBN.
They'll probably want to power cycle the modem first.
looktall is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 19th March 2017, 11:50 PM   #347
SupremeMoFo

Quote:
Originally Posted by looktall View Post
They'll probably want to power cycle the modem first.
true.

It's 2017 and I'm amazed how many people still call tech support without powercycling
Old 20th March 2017, 12:01 PM   #348
petercr

Quote:
true.

It's 2017 and I'm amazed how many people still call tech support without powercycling
They were still doing it in Star Trek with the power couplings...
OCAU Folding Hall of Fame member, December 2010 Iron Folder
I think if we were doing Bio-terrorism@Home, it wouldn't be that popular - Vijay S Pande
petercr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2017, 8:13 PM   #349
hvalac

Well I finally got connected to the NBN after trying for the last 20 days and the speeds are lower than I was hoping for.

Click to view full size!

Originally Posted by jmart38 They're rude because they have to deal with idiots like me all the time.

Originally Posted by Philll First, let's count the amount of fucks I give about what anyone else thinks. Let's do it, we'll start with 0. Okay: 0. All done.

Last edited by hvalac; 20th March 2017 at 8:19 PM.
hvalac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2017, 9:12 PM   #350
caspian

so, the issue is with your own expectations then?
caspian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2017, 9:21 PM   #351
Ratzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by caspian View Post
Expectations can be fueled by salespeople too. When speaking to the Optus Monkey regarding a realistic speed, he assure me that 'I have 50/20 on HFC too, I'm getting 48/19 "

He refused to be pinned down on a guaranteed minimum speed, would only relate his 'own experience', as if I would just take his word for it.

Personally I'll be happy to get 30/10 from my 50/20 choice. Current DSL2+ is 7/1 I know I'd be very lucky to get even close to 50/20, but thats what you gotta pay for if you dont want DSL speeds

Looking forward to it, only 2 weeks away.. assuming its working when the tech walks away having installed the modem?
Quote:
Originally Posted by seizium View Post
I did visit the NBN van today at Westfields North Lakes, but their internet connection wasn't working so they couldn't give me any information
My Rig
Ratzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2017, 10:00 PM   #352
SupremeMoFo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvalac View Post
Well I finally got connected to the NBN after trying for the last 20 days and the speeds are lower than I was hoping for.

pix
Could be a lot worse, I wouldn't complain too much on that. Dealing with a customer at the moment with 27/6Mbps sync on a 600m line and NBN won't investigate further until coexistence is finished (15 months away)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratzz View Post
When speaking to the Optus
lol good luck
Old 20th March 2017, 10:09 PM   #353
yanman

Just putting this here to self-shame in the hope I get off my arse...

Had the outdoor fibre box installed over 12 months ago today... still haven't signed up from my crappy DSL :/ for shame
yanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2017, 10:35 PM   #354
Ratzz

Quote:

lol good luck
One never speaks to Optus. It takes too long, and they will make promises they can't keep. Much faster to use the online chat facility, and it comes with a transcript, time and date stamped with operator identified.

Option 1. Pay $180 exit fees on 10 months of existing contract, for an unreliable 7/1 connection and 200GB, and switch to another of many carriers, none of whom I know much about.. who will probably be cheaper, and MAY be faster and more reliable.

Option 2. modify the existing contract to get HFC instead , at the same monthly cost, for unlimited GB. Not even any setup or modem fees. In 10 months, exit contract and switch to another of many carriers, none of whom I know much about.. who will probably be cheaper, and MAY be faster and more reliable. Current monthly cost is $80 BTW. Too much but it was convenient at the time.

Modifying the existing contract 'so generously' is not usually done (according to the monkey ), but of course after consulting his superior he 'swung it' for me Yep, I do have a transcript.

Option 3. Modifying the contract as per option 2, pay an extra $200 ($20 monthly) for the 50/20, and I still only have 10 months to go before getting to choose any carrier. Plus hopefully a nice seamless changeover from old to new. Total for this option $100 monthly.

Option 4. As per option 3, but with 100/40 for another $100 ( another $10 monthly over the 10 month period). Total monthly cost $110 but that kind of crosses a mental line in the sand for me. I do want though...

I asked about naked, but basically a home phone with unlimited etc etc is part of the package and you can have it or not, but it doesn't save you any cash by disconnecting it, so wtf it can stay.

To me, options 3 or 4 are the only ones that make any sense, and I can upgrade to the 100/40 anytime I need, so I'm starting with option 3. If it doesn't keep me happy, then I'll pay the extra $10/month for the 100/40

Even if I only get 30% of the potential 50/20 speed (15 down), I'm doubling my current download speed and the same 30% (6 up) improves my up speeds by a factor of 6. I can't see a downside.

I realise there is an option 5, don't get the NBN for another 10 months, but I dismissed that one before I even thought of it...

Shits me, I lived 50km from Brisbane CBD and got 16/2 on ADSL2+ for years.. now, 20km from Melbourne CBD, I get 7/1..

My mobiles are with Telstra, they'll be staying there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by seizium View Post
I did visit the NBN van today at Westfields North Lakes, but their internet connection wasn't working so they couldn't give me any information
My Rig

Last edited by Ratzz; 20th March 2017 at 10:58 PM.
Ratzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2017, 11:30 PM   #355
hvalac

Quote:
Not really, I was hoping for at least 80/40.

The node is at the end of our street aka loop which going by cable length i'd say is around 400-450m or so.

Originally Posted by jmart38 They're rude because they have to deal with idiots like me all the time.

Originally Posted by Philll First, let's count the amount of fucks I give about what anyone else thinks. Let's do it, we'll start with 0. Okay: 0. All done.
hvalac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2017, 11:45 PM   #356
SupremeMoFo

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanman View Post
Just putting this here to self-shame in the hope I get off my arse...

Had the outdoor fibre box installed over 12 months ago today... still haven't signed up from my crappy DSL :/ for shame
dude wut? You have the best kind of NBN available to you, and you're not getting it?! at this point you probably only have 6-8 months before your ADSL is cut off

Quote:
My mobiles are with Telstra, they'll be staying there.
I wouldn't suggest going with Telstra either and I definitely wouldn't have recommended signing up for a fixed line service to begin with. Could always try to get them to let you out of the contract because of the unreliability (dropouts?)

Quote:

The node is at the end of our street aka loop which going by cable length i'd say is around 400-450m or so.
Eh, you got within 10Mbps.

If you have multiple connected phone sockets, get a cabler or sparky to isolate it down to a single socket, that will likely improve it.
Old 20th March 2017, 11:56 PM   #357
petercr

I understand things aren't absolute and there's many factors involved but what speeds are typical for what distances from the node on FTTN?

Haven't measured exact distances yet but we're probably around 300m from our node (which finally appears to have been completed today).

Based on our current ADSL, (and the adsl2exchanges website) we appear to be about 1.7km cable distance from the exchange and get just under 17Mbit if that's any indication of the line quality.
OCAU Folding Hall of Fame member, December 2010 Iron Folder
I think if we were doing Bio-terrorism@Home, it wouldn't be that popular - Vijay S Pande

Last edited by petercr; 21st March 2017 at 12:00 AM.
petercr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2017, 12:13 AM   #358
SupremeMoFo

Quote:
Originally Posted by petercr View Post
I understand things aren't absolute and there's many factors involved but what speeds are typical for what distances from the node on FTTN?

Haven't measured exact distances yet but we're probably around 300m from our node (which finally appears to have been completed today).

Based on our current ADSL, (and the adsl2exchanges website) we appear to be about 1.7km cable distance from the exchange and get just under 17Mbit if that's any indication of the line quality.
That's pretty healthy for ADSL. My modem's showing 147/59Mbps max attainable sync speed at the moment on a 300m line with co-existence still in effect for 15 months yet.
Old 21st March 2017, 8:20 AM   #359
caspian

Quote:
He refused to be pinned down on a guaranteed minimum speed
of course he wouldn't be, because he knows damn well he has no way of delivering on it afterwards.

Quote:

so that's a yes then. line length is only one of many things that govern DSL performance, so making assumptions on basis of it is not going to result in a happy outcome when pretty much every factor results in worse speeds, not better.

it's a particularly poor idea when you don't have any way of knowing the actual line length, including considerations like maintenance loops, the actual path the cable takes, the length of the tie cable to the node etc. or the construction of the cable, number of joints, gauge, material, insulation type, or condition of the line. or the attenuation pad loaded into the DSLAM. or the level of noise in the cable from assorted sources.

at that stage you're setting an expectation for yourself based on a model of assumption too simplistic to give an accurate result, and based on input data of unknown accuracy.

I wish I had a dollar for every time I have said this over the years. stop trying to guess DSL speeds. it's not possible to do so with any accuracy worth having. even if you guess right it was a mistake.
caspian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2017, 9:36 AM   #360
SupremeMoFo

Quote:
it's a particularly poor idea when you don't have any way of knowing the actual line length, including considerations like maintenance loops, the actual path the cable takes, the length of the tie cable to the node etc. or the construction of the cable, number of joints, gauge, material, insulation type, or condition of the line.
Especially given NBN aren't reporting any of this data to ISPs, like Telstra did...