Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Other Toys/Hobbies

Notices


Sign up for a free OCAU account and this ad will go away!
Search our forums with Google:
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 21st March 2017, 8:51 AM   #5656
SamBoio
Member
 
SamBoio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Sydney
Posts: 1,238
Default

Went to an advanced screening of The Lego Batman Movie last night. Was pretty good. Quite clever and funny.
I like to see the building techniques used, even though it's CGI.
I still think most of the Batman sets are overpriced and boring though. Even the Ultimate Batmobile (http://brickset.com/sets/70917-1/The-Ultimate-Batmobile) does not appeal to me (hopefully not really a spoiler, but it had minimal time in the movie).
SamBoio is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 21st March 2017, 11:25 AM   #5657
supasaiyan
Member
 
supasaiyan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: 3000
Posts: 3,574
Default

just wondering if your kid went from Duplo --> Junior Lego --> Classic Lego? or just straight from Duplo to Classic Lego??
supasaiyan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2017, 11:51 AM   #5658
MonoJoker
Member
 
MonoJoker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 2,048
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBoio View Post
Went to an advanced screening of The Lego Batman Movie last night. Was pretty good. Quite clever and funny.
I like to see the building techniques used, even though it's CGI.
I still think most of the Batman sets are overpriced and boring though. Even the Ultimate Batmobile (http://brickset.com/sets/70917-1/The-Ultimate-Batmobile) does not appeal to me (hopefully not really a spoiler, but it had minimal time in the movie).
They've really gone overboard with the release of the batman themed items IMO. I mean even the CMF release is 20 characters, more than the usual 16. Then there's all the exclusives available with the books, polybags, sets, etc. It's really overkill and I agree, the sets aren't really anything special, just recreations (I presume) of scenes from the movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supasaiyan View Post
just wondering if your kid went from Duplo --> Junior Lego --> Classic Lego? or just straight from Duplo to Classic Lego??
Our son got mega-bloks to begin with, they are even simpler than Duplo (and cheaper LOL). Also the sets come with trucks and other items which all fit together. We bought Duplo afterwards but being impatient I had him playing with Lego from about 3. We bought the occasional Juinors set but in our case my son is more into the play (and I enjoy the build) so basically we've gone just Lego now (he's 5 next month). The Duplo rarely gets played with now and he prefers the Classic Lego to do free building - eg http://madhriva.com/wp-content/uploa...ssic-10694.jpg
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by helpdesknow View Post
how useful is a 3/4 violin? aren't most songs written in 4/4 ?

Last edited by Bern; 21st March 2017 at 2:05 PM.
MonoJoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2017, 2:54 PM   #5659
SamBoio
Member
 
SamBoio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Sydney
Posts: 1,238
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonoJoker View Post
They've really gone overboard with the release of the batman themed items IMO. I mean even the CMF release is 20 characters, more than the usual 16. Then there's all the exclusives available with the books, polybags, sets, etc. It's really overkill and I agree, the sets aren't really anything special, just recreations (I presume) of scenes from the movie.
Again, trying not to give spoilers, but most of the Batman Movie CMF figures are barely featured in the movie. It's clearly a cash grab (which I don't really mind that much because they sell well and some of the figs are cool).
I wouldn't be surprised if they released a second series of Batman figs at some point!



When I was a kid I went from Duplo, to Fabuland to System (space, castle and town), then sort of Technic.
My son (who is now 8) barely touched Duplo, but we had the giant megabloks for a while. He went to the modern day equivalent of System when he was about 4. He's good with Lego; doesn't chew it or anything and takes really good care of it all. He's even into MOCing, which I think is great!
SamBoio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2017, 4:44 PM   #5660
Madengineer
Member
 
Madengineer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 11,026
Default

So yesterday arvo, I built my Tie Striker and Mini Cooper all in one shot. haha.

Gotta say, the Tie Striker build was probs the most uninteresting build I've done so far (not to say it wasn't fun, just that all the others were more fun) and the mini cooper set was the most fun I've build (Except the Falcon) BUT! I'm missing 3 pieces (2 flat white 8 part panels (the 2X4 pieces) and a 2 part green).

The white parts annoy me the most, cause it's on the roof. lol
__________________
'Fakts still exist even if they're ignored.'
Madengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2017, 5:29 PM   #5661
trop
Member
 
trop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 3,277
Default

You can go on the Lego site and request the missing bits.

As for the Tie Striker, yeah that was just a crap build and an uninteresting finished model. It and the Star Scavenger are my two least favorite sets and both will be ebayed soon to make room for stuff I like.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven76 View Post
This is the internet my right to be a dick remains absolute........
trop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2017, 5:41 PM   #5662
Madengineer
Member
 
Madengineer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 11,026
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trop View Post
You can go on the Lego site and request the missing bits.

As for the Tie Striker, yeah that was just a crap build and an uninteresting finished model. It and the Star Scavenger are my two least favorite sets and both will be ebayed soon to make room for stuff I like.
Yeah, I'm just thankful I didn't pay full price for it (half price from toysrus).
The Star Scavenger looked too shit right from the get go.
Size wise the Tie Striker is decent, but build wise it was just pretty boring.

I want to get Darth Vaders little ship that he uses in A New Hope.

And thanks for that! I didn't know! (or I forgot)
__________________
'Fakts still exist even if they're ignored.'
Madengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2017, 7:04 PM   #5663
petercr
Member
 
petercr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Northern Brisvegas (4504)
Posts: 4,225
Default

I wonder if their quality control has slipped a bit?

The Caterham I built on the weekend had 4x flat 2x1's that were the incorrect color (should have been yellow but were straw instead). Luckily I managed to hide them with 2 inside and 2 in the body where the front wheels are.
__________________
Proud to be part of the OCAU FOLDING Team
Folding@Home 400K Club Member
Folding@Home 30,000,000 Points Milestone
OCAU Folding Hall of Fame member, December 2010 Iron Folder
I think if we were doing Bio-terrorism@Home, it wouldn't be that popular - Vijay S Pande
petercr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2017, 7:06 PM   #5664
Madengineer
Member
 
Madengineer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 11,026
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by petercr View Post
I wonder if their quality control has slipped a bit?

The Caterham I built on the weekend had 4x flat 2x1's that were the incorrect color (should have been yellow but were straw instead). Luckily I managed to hide them with 2 inside and 2 in the body where the front wheels are.
Good build? I'm thinking about getting it next. .. lol
__________________
'Fakts still exist even if they're ignored.'
Madengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2017, 7:51 PM   #5665
MonoJoker
Member
 
MonoJoker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 2,048
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by petercr View Post
I wonder if their quality control has slipped a bit?

The Caterham I built on the weekend had 4x flat 2x1's that were the incorrect color (should have been yellow but were straw instead). Luckily I managed to hide them with 2 inside and 2 in the body where the front wheels are.
Certainly seems like it. I've bought and built probably 30+ sets in the last couple of years and the biggest of the lot (Tower Bridge Expert) was missing THREE pieces... Never had a set missing any pieces previously.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by helpdesknow View Post
how useful is a 3/4 violin? aren't most songs written in 4/4 ?
MonoJoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2017, 11:22 AM   #5666
daehenoc
Member
 
daehenoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Mt Gravatt E, BNE, QLD
Posts: 1,873
Default

I've had one missing piece in a new set, over the last ten years. Having been to the factory in Billund, and been on the manufacturing tour, I'm not surprised that the level of control is so good, it's a tight ship they run!
daehenoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2017, 11:46 AM   #5667
MonoJoker
Member
 
MonoJoker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 2,048
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by daehenoc View Post
I've had one missing piece in a new set, over the last ten years. Having been to the factory in Billund, and been on the manufacturing tour, I'm not surprised that the level of control is so good, it's a tight ship they run!
Yes the bags are weighed individually once packed, the whole box weighed, etc. Missing a tiny piece would be excusable and that's why (I assume) they often include a spare of many of the really small 1x1 pieces in a set but missing a whole 4550171 is pretty poor given it's size/weight. I wonder if it's related to the fact the bags in the Tower Bridge set aren't numbered like a "normal" build.

Madengineer did the Tie Striker have numbered bags?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by helpdesknow View Post
how useful is a 3/4 violin? aren't most songs written in 4/4 ?
MonoJoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2017, 6:43 PM   #5668
Madengineer
Member
 
Madengineer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 11,026
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonoJoker View Post
Yes the bags are weighed individually once packed, the whole box weighed, etc. Missing a tiny piece would be excusable and that's why (I assume) they often include a spare of many of the really small 1x1 pieces in a set but missing a whole 4550171 is pretty poor given it's size/weight. I wonder if it's related to the fact the bags in the Tower Bridge set aren't numbered like a "normal" build.

Madengineer did the Tie Striker have numbered bags?
Yeah, but multiples of the same. Like 2 1s, 2 2s etc.

And there was no obvious order
__________________
'Fakts still exist even if they're ignored.'
Madengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2017, 8:33 PM   #5669
trop
Member
 
trop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 3,277
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madengineer View Post
Yeah, but multiples of the same. Like 2 1s, 2 2s etc.

And there was no obvious order
Thats weird, my Striker set just had 5 bags numbered 1-5.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven76 View Post
This is the internet my right to be a dick remains absolute........
trop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2017, 8:48 PM   #5670
Madengineer
Member
 
Madengineer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 11,026
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trop View Post
Thats weird, my Striker set just had 5 bags numbered 1-5.
I had 6 bags?

Basically it was 3 big bags numbered 1-3 then 3 smaller bags numbered 1-3?
__________________
'Fakts still exist even if they're ignored.'
Madengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
lego

Sign up for a free OCAU account and this ad will go away!

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time now is 9:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
OCAU is not responsible for the content of individual messages posted by others.
Other content copyright Overclockers Australia.
OCAU is hosted by Micron21!