Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Manufacturer-specific Forums > Apple Desktop Hardware/Software

Notices

Old 23rd January 2017, 8:32 PM   #1
mitchamus Thread Starter

Default Itunes & New MacBook - issues

Ive just rebuilt my iTunes database consisting of what I will call 2 tranches of files

Tranche 1 60k files
tranche 2 8k odd files

now the library is located directly on my NAS with no iTunes database files sitting on my new MacBook... iTunes is stupid so it points directly to "/Volumes/Itunes Database/iTunes Media" which I have setup as a NAS share sitting on my Synology NAS and is setup so whenever my laptop starts up on my home WLAN, it auto connects with another NAS share... its all fine as I can see this on my desktop as I type this very post

my issue is, since I have added the two trances files (music 3050 odd albums) I am now getting the dreaded ! sign beside songs and iTunes asking my to point to the file which is sitting on the vary share mounted to the laptop and where iTunes is specially told to store the files

how can I fix this?

also, I have iTunes setup so keeps the library organised and copies files of added content

I'm trying to avoid having to rebuild again as the first tranche of files has taken 3 days to load into iTunes from my external HDD
Old 24th January 2017, 5:25 PM   #2
mitchamus Thread Starter

Anyone???

really bugging me!
Old 24th January 2017, 6:07 PM   #3
tree86ers

you are not the first to try this and probably not the last.
But I do have to say this, iTunes is not designed to work like this. when i last used OSX (MacOS or what ever it is called now) it did network file sharing poorly and did not do automatic drive mapping with out a lot of work (taking 10.6 days). unless it has changed i would not recommend this setup. I would not even suggest this on windows.
the XML files that iTunes uses relies in exact file paths for the files, if this changes slightly at all you will have issues where it says the files are now missing. that is not going into the problems with iTunes loading off a network resource is lengthy as well (when i last did this)

If my memory serves me correctly there should be a plugin for synology NAS's that allow iTunes to play back music shared from it. you host the library in the music folder on the NAS. I do beleive that it needs to be an existing library though. It would be something to check up on since you would be still running a local library and just streaming the music from the NAS.
Main PC "Tensa Zangetsu" - MB "eVGA X99 Classified" - CPU "i7 6800k" - RAM "corsair dominator platinum 32gb" - GPU "evga GTX 1080 FTW x 2" Trans-code PC "Hyōrinmaru" - MB "ASUS P9X79" - CPU "Xeon E5 2670" - RAM "corsair LP 32gb" - GPU "eVGA GTX 960 2GB" LAN PC "Zangetsu" - MB "EVGA Z77 Stinger" - CPU "i7 3770k" - RAM "corsair LP 16gb" - GPU "eVGA GTX 980 4GB"
tree86ers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2017, 9:07 PM   #4
mitchamus Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tree86ers View Post
But I do have to say this, iTunes is not designed to work like this. when i last used OSX (MacOS or what ever it is called now) it did network file sharing poorly and did not do automatic drive mapping with out a lot of work (taking 10.6 days). unless it has changed i would not recommend this setup. I would not even suggest this on windows.
the XML files that iTunes uses relies in exact file paths for the files, if this changes slightly at all you will have issues where it says the files are now missing. that is not going into the problems with iTunes loading off a network resource is lengthy as well (when i last did this)

If my memory serves me correctly there should be a plugin for synology NAS's that allow iTunes to play back music shared from it. you host the library in the music folder on the NAS. I do beleive that it needs to be an existing library though. It would be something to check up on since you would be still running a local library and just streaming the music from the NAS.
iTunes server is what you are referring too but doesn't really do what I want as I don't want to share to anything else on my network

I just want to be able to have my large library sitting on my gas and mounted into my MacBook when I am on the WLAN at home

could the fact I am using SMB instead of AFP be the issue?
Old 24th January 2017, 9:21 PM   #5
tree86ers

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchamus View Post
could the fact I am using SMB instead of AFP be the issue?
nope i would say more that your using a network share is the issue.

the reason your getting problems is more the order your mounting the network shares since MacOS mounts network drives like Unix/Linux does. now with the itunes library liking specific paths if your mounting the share in a diferent order it is not in the same location any more and this will not play. it would be the same if your changed the drive names in windows (if you had the library on another drive).

this just a pathing problem as much as it is network problem
Main PC "Tensa Zangetsu" - MB "eVGA X99 Classified" - CPU "i7 6800k" - RAM "corsair dominator platinum 32gb" - GPU "evga GTX 1080 FTW x 2" Trans-code PC "Hyōrinmaru" - MB "ASUS P9X79" - CPU "Xeon E5 2670" - RAM "corsair LP 32gb" - GPU "eVGA GTX 960 2GB" LAN PC "Zangetsu" - MB "EVGA Z77 Stinger" - CPU "i7 3770k" - RAM "corsair LP 16gb" - GPU "eVGA GTX 980 4GB"

Last edited by tree86ers; 25th January 2017 at 11:42 AM.
Old 24th January 2017, 9:23 PM   #6
mitchamus Thread Starter

Quote:
nope i would say more that your using a network share is the issue.

the reason your getting problems is more the order your mounting the network shares since MacOS mounts network drives like Unix/Linux does. now with the itunes library liking specific paths if your mounting the share in a diferent order it is not in the same location any more and this will not play. it would be the same if your changed the drive names in windows (if you had the library on another drive).

this just a pathing problem as it is network problem

Ok, so what's the best way to setup the mounting of the share from the NAS onto the MacBook so it's always abalaible when on the WLAN at home
Old 25th January 2017, 8:57 AM   #7
giles666

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchamus View Post
Ok, so what's the best way to setup the mounting of the share from the NAS onto the MacBook so it's always abalaible when on the WLAN at home
Use a little app called Mountain: https://appgineers.de/
giles666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2017, 8:59 AM   #8
mitchamus Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by giles666 View Post
Use a little app called Mountain: https://appgineers.de/

So running this will solve all my problems?
Old 25th January 2017, 9:49 AM   #9
miicah

Quote:
OK I use this setup on Windows and it works pretty much perfectly.
  • smb share on server with R/W access
  • Mapped drive on Windows 8.1
  • iTunes (10.9) with the library file and music stored on T:\ drive

There are a few songs with the ! but I fix them as they pop up. I have around 50k songs. I just have to make sure T:\ drive is mapped before I open iTunes, but this is my desktop so it is on 24/7 and is rarely an issue.

CS:GO Videos | Motorcycle Videos
miicah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2017, 11:39 AM   #10
tree86ers

Quote:
Originally Posted by miicah View Post

There are a few songs with the ! but I fix them as they pop up. I have around 50k songs. I just have to make sure T:\ drive is mapped before I open iTunes, but this is my desktop so it is on 24/7 and is rarely an issue.

hahahaha i did not say it would not work... windows is probably the best platform for this setup tbh. You hit the nail on the head in one. you need to have your drive mapped before it will work.

the way windows and mac (and Linux from what i have used) are extremely different. windows tends to treat the whole remote share as one and kinda mounts the whole thing.
where mac mounts specific paths, and unless you use an app like above it will not auto mount.
that is not to say there is not a way to make it do this. i have a feeling that it would be the same way you would do it in Linux (as other local drive auto mounting)

doing a quick google search it seems that this is a common question
http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/art...ew-hard-drive/
it looks like this gives a good run down skimming though it.

Last edited by tree86ers; 25th January 2017 at 11:43 AM.
Old 25th January 2017, 11:42 AM   #11
mitchamus Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by miicah View Post

On a old old win7 laptop I had the hdd partitioned with iTunes sitting on a x:/ and I just pointed iTunes to the drive! Worked perfectly

Can't see why having on a nas share can't be done in the same manner

I get (and I'm a network engineer so no need to educate me on network config) that this will only work when on my home WLAN or connected to router via Ethernet and won't work when away from home