Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Mobile Phones & Devices > Apple iOS (OS & Devices)

Notices

Old 16th September 2017, 10:07 PM   #211
Matthew kane

Some slight misinformation thrown around here. The iphone's are not completely made in China, keyword on the back of the phones they are assembled in China with mainly the housing being made there, I'm not sure who does the pcb for the modern models but it used to be Foxconn. The silicon and processor itself is made by TSMC and now in conjunction with Samsung, the old iphone screens was manufactured by Sharp now it is made by Samsung not the factories in China. The camera was/is also made by Samsung.
Intel i7 3960X @ 4.7GHZ - Noctua NH-D14 | 16GB OCZ Platinum Series DDR3 1600MHZ | Asus Rampage IV Extreme (4901 bios) | Zotac AMP! Edition GTX 980 Ti | PNY GTX 465 unlocked to 470 | Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatality Pro with LME47920's opamps | OCZ Vertex 3 240GB | OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB| 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Green, 4 x 2TB Seagate LP | Enermax Revolution 85+ 1250watt | Antec P280 + Veris Elite | LG BD Rewriter
Matthew kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2017, 10:31 PM   #212
elvis
Old school old fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shado View Post
Without disagreeing on the premium products being a minority of Apple products, here are real world stats from one of Australia's top 10 retailer's websites for the last 30 days which run counter to the 'a minority' part:
I can't at all see how a single retailer's web hits have anything to do with real world phone sales.

And more to the point, real world phone sales are tallied. So the data is available. I'm not sure what you're trying to get at with this post.

Phones are much more than web browsers with their use case radically varied person to person, and a single retailer's website hit counter has to be the most ill fitting metric I could think of to measure ownership of any given device.

Last edited by elvis; 16th September 2017 at 10:42 PM.
elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2017, 4:22 PM   #213
Pookey

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis View Post
I can't at all see how a single retailer's web hits have anything to do with real world phone sales.

And more to the point, real world phone sales are tallied. So the data is available. I'm not sure what you're trying to get at with this post.

Phones are much more than web browsers with their use case radically varied person to person, and a single retailer's website hit counter has to be the most ill fitting metric I could think of to measure ownership of any given device.
It's valid from the perspective of actual usage as opposed to simple sales figures. The stats have long supported the fact that:
  • Compared to their Sales Market Share, iOS Devices disproportionately outrank Android Devices in web usage
  • People who own iOS Devices spend more on Apps on average than Android users and the average iOS user owns more apps than the average Android user

What this anecdotally tells us is that iOS users are far more active than Android users and their spending is much higher. Anecdotally it tells us that many people who buy Android phones are buying them purely as phones, those who buy smartphones for media consumption are tending towards iOS devices.

The single retailer's stats reflect similar stats that have been released over the last three to four years. Android sales might be higher but that doesn't translate in to a corresponding level of utilisation given the significant market share advantage held by Android.

iOS Market Share in Australia is significantly higher than the Global ~20%. As of Q4 2016, iOS Devices took 44.9% of sales while Android took 52.3% of sales. This adds further weight to the legitimacy of those stats, they're not an outlier, it's simply that iOS is significantly more popular in Australia than the average for the world and that's reflected in utilisation.
Pookey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2017, 4:48 PM   #214
Slugoid

Quote:
So very true. Made by people who get paid around $2/hr, and are depressed as fuck:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...e-factory.html

So depressed, in fact, that they kill themselves by jumping out of windows. And to combat this, the factory installs anti-suicide nets to catch them:
https://blogs.wsj.com/chinarealtime/...-hebei-plants/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foxconn_suicides
http://www.dailytech.com/Foxconn+Ins...ticle18877.htm

So yes, you're very right when call out people who bang on about the iPhone representing "quality you pay for", when it costs much the same as anything else that comes out of China to make from a labour perspective, and along with that comes terrible human rights abuse.

Ironic, too, that most of my "cause following" friends on Facebook who scream about the latest thing that they want to "share and like to build awareness" is done from their shiny iPhone. I wonder how many individuals and families suffered so they could feel good about themselves sharing the latest worldwide travesty from their armchair?
You're deluding yourself if you think you're not a culprit of those deaths by not using iPhone.

Some facts:
- The real evil is Foxconn, and they have many other clients other than Apple, such as Dell, HP, Microsoft, Nintendo, and Sony. I'm willing to bet you own something that's made in Foxconn.

- The news about Foxconn deaths is a while ago. This was all over the news in Hong Kong. Since then the company has been forced to improve their working conditions and pay. You can see that after 2010 the deaths have dramatically reduced.

I'm not condoning or even supporting the ethics of Foxconn, but to be honest we all are to blame as consumers. China is not even the cheapest place to manufacture anymore, if you actually follow world economics. That now goes to places like Vietnam, Myanmar and Bangladesh where the lowest labour and horrific sweatshops are located. You probably wear something that made in those countries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipv6ready View Post
Both still made by Chinese to the quality expected by the buyer.
Are you really that dumb to not know that almost all electronics is made or assembled in China? The difference being stuff that's designed, made and assembled in China (i.e. Xiaomi, Oppo, Huawei) and stuff that's just assembled in China (Apple, Samsung, Sony PS3). The quality depends on the company QA, not the necessarily people assembling it. The workers in China are merely doing what a $100,000 machine can do at a cheaper cost.

Last edited by Slugoid; 18th September 2017 at 4:52 PM.
Slugoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2017, 10:07 PM   #215
elvis
Old school old fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slugoid View Post
- The news about Foxconn deaths is a while ago. This was all over the news in Hong Kong. Since then the company has been forced to improve their working conditions and pay. You can see that after 2010 the deaths have dramatically reduced.
http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-36376966
http://fortune.com/2016/05/26/foxcon...robot-workers/
https://www.theverge.com/2016/5/25/1...ng-smartphones

Yeah, they just replaced all the suicidal, depressed people with robots. So now when they kill themselves, they'll be "suicidal unemployed", not "suicidal Foxconn employees". Pretty good ploy, if you ask me.
elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2017, 12:10 PM   #216
Slugoid

Quote:
http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-36376966
http://fortune.com/2016/05/26/foxcon...robot-workers/
https://www.theverge.com/2016/5/25/1...ng-smartphones

Yeah, they just replaced all the suicidal, depressed people with robots. So now when they kill themselves, they'll be "suicidal unemployed", not "suicidal Foxconn employees". Pretty good ploy, if you ask me.
The growing problems of a fast developing country. 10 years ago China's labour was cheap as dirt. Nowadays they are capable of making the highest quality goods in the world, all because wages are much higher and people are more educated. Wages of professionals in China are almost matching wages of people in Hong Kong.

As for the 60,000 workers laid off, well, there's plenty of other factories in the Shenzhen area and even more factories in the northern parts of China. When wages and living standards go up, companies need to cut cost and the best way is through automation, although Foxconn's way of doing things is always quite extreme.
Slugoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2017, 5:11 PM   #217
[KEi]SoVeReIgN

Quote:

Because you keep quoting worldwide market share, which isn't as relevant to Australians as Australian market share - Which his statistics on website usage are indicative of.

Last edited by [KEi]SoVeReIgN; 20th September 2017 at 9:42 AM.
[KEi]SoVeReIgN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2017, 9:06 AM   #218
Alfonzo

Pretty subdued launch out the front of my closest Apple store this morning. I walked past it just after 8am, there was approximately 50 people outside between the ropes, a refreshment trolley that looked largely untouched, maybe 15 or 20 customers in the store and about 50 Apple staff standing around inside talking to each other.

I think they've completely jumped the shark with their launch this time round. Maybe the X launch will be a bigger deal.
Alfonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2017, 9:34 AM   #219
nav

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfonzo View Post
Pretty subdued launch out the front of my closest Apple store this morning. I walked past it just after 8am, there was approximately 50 people outside between the ropes, a refreshment trolley that looked largely untouched, maybe 15 or 20 customers in the store and about 50 Apple staff standing around inside talking to each other.

I think they've completely jumped the shark with their launch this time round. Maybe the X launch will be a bigger deal.
That's strange, but I think you're right - the X is not too far away.

I did a couple of visits to my local Apple store recently (sneaking in my 6S battery replacement before 2 years was up), and both times the store was completely packed! I went @ 8pm on a Thursday (thinking it would be empty) and then 3pm on a Sunday for a booked slot. Both times, I couldn't believe how packed it was. There is a Samsung store directly below, and both times it was completely empty

-nav.
nav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2017, 11:36 AM   #220
the_antipop

My missus got her 8 this morning. Near identical to my 7, better than her old 5s though, so a worthwhile upgrade for her
Old 23rd September 2017, 9:11 PM   #221
Sphinx2000

Turns out only 1821mAh battery in the iPhone 8 (iPhone 7 has 1,960mAh)
Also a cracked/broken glass back will be "very hard" to repair/replace.

6 out of 10 repairability score

Last edited by Sphinx2000; 23rd September 2017 at 9:16 PM.
Sphinx2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2017, 9:25 PM   #222
Zee

How surprising....

Z...