Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Photography & Video

Notices

Old 14th September 2017, 9:05 PM   #16
FranchiseJuan

The worst part about this announcement is that I can't buy one right now. Where do I order one from (in Australia)?
FranchiseJuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2017, 12:01 AM   #17
TheBear21

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranchiseJuan View Post
The worst part about this announcement is that I can't buy one right now. Where do I order one from (in Australia)?

Arahan Photo have them on pre-sale for $98 which is pretty good considering they are US$79.
Old 15th September 2017, 12:12 PM   #18
FranchiseJuan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBear21 View Post
Arahan Photo have them on pre-sale for $98 which is pretty good considering they are US$79.
Well in that case I see a trip to Richmond in my future.
Old 15th September 2017, 2:23 PM   #19
Michael H Thread Starter

As far as I can tell, there is no official Godox distributor in Oz, or it is the best keep secret.

Last edited by Michael H; 15th September 2017 at 5:11 PM.
Michael H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2017, 2:50 PM   #20
FranchiseJuan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael H View Post
As far as I can tell, there is no official Godox distributor on Oz, or it is the best keep secret.
This is the exact words from the distributor of a competing product:

'Godox will sell to every many and his dog, or even just a dog.'

Godox does not want to have an exclusive distributor in Australia, and so no-one wants to pick them up as 'that is not how the Australian market works'.

Make of that what you will.
Old 15th September 2017, 4:06 PM   #21
Pinkeh

Do u think Kayell could get them? They seem to stock Godox products
ASUS P8P67 EVO | I5 2500K @ 3.3GHZ | KINGSTON HYPER FURY 2x8GB DDR3 RAM | GIGABYTE GTX 1080 G1 GAMING 8GB | SAMSUNG 850 EVO 512GB + WD CAVIAR BLACK 4X6 TB | NZXT PHANTOM FULL TOWER | 3X DELL U2311H @ 5760X1080 RESOLUTION
Pinkeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2017, 5:21 PM   #22
Michael H Thread Starter

I can understand why they might not want an exclusive distributor, but having a point of contact for warranty and repairs helps the buyer.

It seems the Godox model is keep it cheap, cheap, cheap. No presence, no official distributor, no repairs, not much at all. And of course the buyers keep coming with their innovation, but do not expect backup. A 12 month shop warranty is it.

In the US Adorama and Cheetah seem to fill that gap, by rebranding Godox products and adding that support.

Jinbei is a Godox competitor, but having an Australian distributor does not fix all the issues anyway. You seem to pay extra for it.

I suppose you cannot have cheap, cheap, cheap and some support in smaller markets.

For me, the cheaper Asian makers have opened up the possibility to have a basic studio without costing an arm and a leg. Aliexpress (esp the Selens store), Ebay and Banggood allows you to get those extras like spigots, gels, reflector holders without paying hundreds of $ more (it quickly adds up if you need it for more than 1 flash). The Selens gels for your flash are under $10, the Rogue Gels are around $45. Some DIY also helps, check out some of Joe Edelmen's DIY tips. I made some back drop clamps on which I can also mount a flash for about $8 each (two uses, $8). A near identical clamp cost 3 times as much in camera store - camera gear seems to also get a wedding premium.

And saying that is not how the Australian markets works, seem very self serving! Perhaps why studio equipment prices have been so high.

Last edited by Michael H; 15th September 2017 at 5:49 PM.
Old 18th September 2017, 4:55 PM   #23
TheBear21

A local distributor is an archaic business model anyway. And it's why things here cost more than they should. Whilst places like Arahan Photo* are importing stuff themselves and selling it for the same price as buying from overseas, I can't see why you wouldn't support them? Seems like the way of the future to me.

*not in anyway associated with them. Not even been a customer of theirs (yet)
Old Yesterday, 10:17 AM   #24
wild

Well I've been using a pair of Yongnuo YN568EX II speedlites with an AD360 all on YN622 triggers with nothing but issues recently. Occasionally one of the three units won't fire, or HSS just decides to stop working on the AD360. This new XPro trigger has convinced me to drop all the Yongnuo gear and order a pair of Godox V860 II speedlites, along with the XTR16 trigger for the AD360. Fingers crossed it will be the end of flash issues!

And not having to carry around a pile of spare AA's is a big bonus too
Old Yesterday, 5:45 PM   #25
TheBear21

Will make your life so much easier.
Old Yesterday, 7:09 PM   #26
Dark Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild View Post
And not having to carry around a pile of spare AA's is a big bonus too
I have been an AD360 for over 3 years now - what are these AA Batteries that you speak about?

Speaking of old Godox hardware, will this work with my original AD360s?
Dark Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 7:56 PM   #27
Michael H Thread Starter

Yes, it will work with the AD360 with the right receiver. The receiver must be compatible with the Godox 2.4GHz RF Radio System. At least that is what the specs say.

So you need a Godox XTR16 (the one for the AD360) or XTR16s receiver.

In the fullness of time the XPro will replace the XT16 & XT32 transmitters, so I read. But first the XPro models must roll out for the other brands like Nikon, Sony, etc.

Plus Adorama is working on an update for the X1T trigger, but it is having a few issues according to Flash Havoc.

Having said that, this is not the separate Flashpoint transmitter version we have been working on since early in the year, at this stage its basically Godox’s version of the transmitter used for the Flashpoint version as well (at least for now). And I don’t think anyone completely knows the exact fate of the original Flashpoint version right now either due to some technical issues that are still being worked through.

Last edited by Michael H; Yesterday at 8:11 PM.