Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Manufacturer-specific Forums > Apple Desktop Hardware/Software

Notices

Old 28th October 2016, 8:37 PM   #46
giles666 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtw View Post
Disagree. The Razer Blade outclasses the MBP in pretty much every way at a lower price point. The matte black version even looks like the RB.
It runs on Windows... that is a rather large handicap.
giles666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2016, 8:43 PM   #47
thecondor

Quote:
Originally Posted by giles666 View Post
Are you joking? Seriously win 10 is far superior in nearly everyway apart from being able to text on osx.
thecondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2016, 8:48 PM   #48
giles666 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecondor View Post
Are you joking? Seriously win 10 is far superior in nearly everyway apart from being able to text on osx.
Your crazy.

I use both, extensively, and Windows 10 is crap. Its unstable, its ugly, it's inconsistent and it lacks decent applications. Windows 8 and 7 are even worse.

Hell, even Microsofts own Word is better on Mac.
Old 28th October 2016, 8:50 PM   #49
thecondor

Quote:
Your crazy.

I use both, extensively, and Windows 10 is crap. Its unstable, its ugly, it's inconsistent and it lacks decent applications. Windows 8 and 7 are even worse.

I also use both. And no word is a lot better on 10.

But hey each to their own.
thecondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2016, 9:24 PM   #50
miicah

Quote:
painting (procreate), photo editing (lightroom and pixelmator).
I think you're confusing a tablet with a tablet. Proper photo editing still needs a keyboard btw.

I can't imagine anyone remotely competent with lightroom or photoshop doing anywhere near the volume of work if they were forced to use an iPad.

CS:GO Videos | Motorcycle Videos
miicah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2016, 10:12 PM   #51
maddhatter

I think i'll stick with my 2010 MBP...

I'm an industrial electrician - if I upgraded i'd have to:

1) buy an ethernet to usb3 adapter.
2) buy an usb3 to usb2 adapter. (which would then connect to my usb to serial, usb to rs485, etc)
3) buy a new external screen, as my 27 inch apple display would no longer work.

And once the MBP dies, probably time to jump back to dell :/

Shame really, it's been an absolute workhorse.
maddhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2016, 10:20 PM   #52
elvis
Old school old fool

Quote:
I think you're issue isn't a widespread one thoug.
I'll be blunt: I don't really care how widespread it is. That might be selfish, but I'm only interested in supporting my business, not the consumer world.

This isn't some anti-Apple rant. This is purely me saying that it's yet another reason why our business is considering no longer paying millions of dollars for Apple hardware and software, and taking our business elsewhere due to our particular business requirements.

Quote:
You only have to look at IBM making a wholesale push to move their fleet to Macs to see that the Mac is thriving in business.
This is already being considered an abject failure as a project, and its barely gotten off the ground. Word has it that Apple are throwing millions of dollars at third party "consultants" to come up with "integration procedures" to try and make it work, and Apple's consumer-market software design isn't working properly at all.

Hell, MacOSX still can't mount NFS at all, and does an abysmal job of handling SMB at enterprise scale. If you can't even get that right, there's little hope of further systems integration for large work forces.

Again, mighty fine tools for single users and maybe even small business. But terrible at scale. I know, as I've been fighting with them for years now in business, and the effort required is orders of magnitude higher than alternatives.

This IBM/Apple deal is pure marketing fluff. Outside of highly controlled messages from senior marketing people in both companies, there's been zero positive news about it. I dare say it will up and vanish in another few years, once it has run its course, and both sides silently give up on it.

Last edited by elvis; 28th October 2016 at 10:27 PM.
elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2016, 10:33 PM   #53
VirtualNinja

Quote:
Your crazy.

Sorry but that's a load of BS if your unstable it's your machine.
VirtualNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2016, 10:49 PM   #54
giles666 Thread Starter

We are getting a bit off topic here.

I think, that rather than dismiss the new Touch Bar, people should give them some time. The Touch Bar could be much better than you expect.

Pick one up, try it out for 6 or 9 months and make a conscious effort to use the new stuff, then make an informed decision about whether it's terrible or not. It's ridiculous to declare it crap without using it for a while.

Tactile feedback isn't as important as you think. (if you doubt me, use an iPad exclusively for 6 months, you'll be able to type on the screen just as fast as you used to on a keyboard).

In any event, they are still a very solid upgrade. Thin, light and fast, with an increidble screen, great battery life, 5k monitor support, and a huge increase in connectivity options.
Old 28th October 2016, 11:12 PM   #55
elvis
Old school old fool

Quote:
I think, that rather than dismiss the new Touch Bar, people should give them some time. The Touch Bar could be much better than you expect.

Pick one up, try it out for 6 or 9 months and make a conscious effort to use the new stuff, then make an informed decision about whether it's terrible or not. It's ridiculous to declare it crap without using it for a while.
Who is going to fund this trial period? I'm not keen to drop that sort of coin on a very expensive laptop just to try an OLED bar that breaks a convention I use every day in business because "it's cool".

Quote:
Tactile feedback isn't as important as you think. (if you doubt me, use an iPad exclusively for 6 months, you'll be able to type on the screen just as fast as you used to on a keyboard).
2 comments:

1) I'll race anyone on an iPad to type in the sorts of things I need to do for a living, while I use a regular tactile keyboard. Pro tip: auto-correcting "Kardashian" isn't going to help you do the things I do on a computer, and I use characters like { } | / and ~ a hell of a lot (easily hundreds of times per day each).

2) Even the fastest iPad typists lose half their screen to their virtual keyboard, and have to look at their keys to align their fingers. I can out-type most folks I know, without looking at my keyboard as I do, and just feeling the keys. Yes, I'm one of these folks who still finds the home row by touch, including the raised bumps on F and J (still a standard on non-Apple hardware).

Quote:
It's ridiculous to declare it crap
I can't speak for others, but I'm not declaring it crap. I'm declaring it not for me and my needs.

Last edited by elvis; 28th October 2016 at 11:14 PM.
elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2016, 12:13 AM   #56
xsive

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis View Post
Of course, none of that means a damn to home users, and non-business consumers. And that's my point. Apple are making it very clear that their target market is not anyone who needs business-level IT. That's perfectly fine, but what it means is, as a business customer, Apple are now off my vendor list.
Forget business level. What about programmers? Where's my freaking escape key, Apple?
xsive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2016, 1:42 AM   #57
mtw

Quote:
A very subjective 'handicap'.
mtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2016, 6:09 AM   #58
giles666 Thread Starter

Nice first looks by Jim Dalrymple

He seems too like it. Has a lot of good things to say about the Touch Bar.

http://www.loopinsight.com/2016/10/2...edium=referral
Old 29th October 2016, 6:12 AM   #59
Elyzion

Quote:
Your crazy.

This is proof you don't use Windows at all.
Elyzion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2016, 6:21 AM   #60
xsive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elyzion View Post
This is proof you don't use Windows at all.
If you're using a Mac you've likely rejected Windows long ago. It doesn't matter how "good" the latest version is or isn't. It's still Windows.
xsive is offline   Reply With Quote