Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > Hobby Engineering

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 16th May 2017, 6:51 PM   #31
oRiCLe Thread Starter

Well yeah it's not as solid as the voron, and at anything over say 1500mm/a acceleration it can get a bit bouncy (given I have a fair bit of weight cantilevered with the alloy plate so I kind of expected that) but I just did a full plate print, BLTouch did one probe in the centre and no compensation, and it was perfect across the whole plate, remove press print and exactly the same again...just need to work out some anti bounce but I like it a lot more

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 19th May 2017, 1:12 PM   #32
aXLe

Quote:
Originally Posted by oRiCLe View Post
Well yeah it's not as solid as the voron, and at anything over say 1500mm/a acceleration it can get a bit bouncy (given I have a fair bit of weight cantilevered with the alloy plate so I kind of expected that) but I just did a full plate print, BLTouch did one probe in the centre and no compensation, and it was perfect across the whole plate, remove press print and exactly the same again...just need to work out some anti bounce but I like it a lot more
Check out the Hypercube Evolution design - uses 3030 extrusions with a few less parts to print - looks decent too, though a work in progress. There is a version with dual leadscrews on the Z axis (like the Voron) - this is the version I think I'll build.
aXLe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2017, 1:39 PM   #33
oRiCLe Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aXLe View Post
Check out the Hypercube Evolution design - uses 3030 extrusions with a few less parts to print - looks decent too, though a work in progress. There is a version with dual leadscrews on the Z axis (like the Voron) - this is the version I think I'll build.
I did see it, personally i don't see a need for the 3030 frame as I don't think that is the root of the flex issues that induce the ringing etc

I have seen somewhere another version somewhere or similar that uses 2040 that looked interesting also, i think it was on Reddit.

The motion axes moving at speed will still induce flex in the belts, bearings and motors on direction changes, i'm just focusing on getting the carbon fibre rods in when they arrive and a few other tweaks to hopefully lighten the X carriage and got an idea to get dual lead with a single motor without the giant belt running across the bottom of the printer also to stop the plate bounce...

Interested to compare and see results tho if you head down that path!

I was considering 3030 frame for a little PCB mill I am designing but I think i'll end up along the lines of 2040 and/or 2060.
Old 9th June 2017, 11:16 AM   #34
oRiCLe Thread Starter

So only a couple of updates to the printer so far and another mod in the works at the moment...

- Upgraded the X axis to 10mm carbon rods
- Upgraded my crappy Chinese aluminium extruder to a VORON flex extruder

So experimenting now with wear and tear on the carbon rods, put about 5 hours through them so far and no issues...

And currently in progress is going back to the dual sided VORON style Z axis with a few differences...not happy with the build plate "bounce" as the MIC-6 is quite heavy for the cantilever...
Old 15th June 2017, 6:12 PM   #35
aXLe

awesome I've started buying parts for my build of the evolution spinoff with dual Z axis - so far just the E3D V6 hotend, bondtech QR extruder, MKS SBase running smoothieware with the 3.2 colourTFT. Also got a complete E3D Volcano setup - hoping to make a Volcano 'cartridge' for quick changes from V6 to Volcano.

I ended up recreating every part on the evolution taking measurements from the STL files so I have the whole printer modelled in CAD and can tweak the design if need be for different heat set inserts or whatever changes I would like to make in future. Always nice to have source files and I will print the parts from my fileset.

There is a bit of space behind the bed so I've added some additional extrusions to form a cavity at the back which will be closed in with acrylic sheeting - that's where the PSU and control electronics will live. Should be able to make it look pretty nice. What sizes acrylic can you laser cut? I may be employing your services there

My build volume is 400 x 300 x 300 - I need to find a good source for MIC6 or ATP5 in 420 x 320 x 6.35. Or perhaps some other cast plate?

Last edited by aXLe; 15th June 2017 at 6:21 PM.
aXLe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2017, 8:59 PM   #36
malletta

Going to build one of these too.. still deciding if the Evo is much better than the original. I have a 300x300 D-bot.. want to build a smaller machine.. heating up a 300x300 for a trinket seems a bit much =\
malletta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2017, 9:03 PM   #37
oRiCLe Thread Starter

Just about finished printing all the bits for my dual Z setup will post some pics soon...

Essentially the same as what they did with the Evo, just another set of the same parts on the other side and then you access the printer through the side instead of the front (so if your OCD about symmetry its probably not for you :P ), and going to run a belt between the dual lead screws to keep it level too as that was the problem i had with the VORON
Old 23rd June 2017, 3:49 PM   #38
oRiCLe Thread Starter

Dual Z up and running, just waiting for the link belt to arrive but should work fine for now...

Old 23rd June 2017, 4:41 PM   #39
malletta

nice!

I've ordered a bunch of stuff from Banggood and asked Aurarum for a custom hypercube frame. Just made the Z axis 500mm instead of 350.
malletta is offline   Reply With Quote