Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > General Topics > Newbie Lounge

Notices

Old 16th April 2017, 11:39 AM   #1
Warface Thread Starter

Default SSD, Bios, MB, or Virus issue??

Hey all this has me baffled! I have a Samsung 250GB SSD as the main C: drive and a 1TB hard drive for files etc, also running Windows 10.

Over the past 2 weeks I have powered my PC on say 20 times, within the 20 times, 2 of those have come up, latest was today. saying (when the PC first starts and states: 'loading operating system') cant find the boot drive record, please press ctr/alt/del to restart. I had tried restarting a few times, same error. I then booted into bios and noticed that the SSD C: drive was placed as a second boot? I change it back to be the first boot priority and windows loads up after it checks the 1TB drive for errors and I have no problems.

What may cause this change to happen in bios?

thanks all.
Do you reckon the jacket is more of a hipster or a Russian gangster style because I want to impress this old Russian guy I play the pokies with, but don't want to come accross as a hipster so considering it, but can't really see how it would match some black slacks with black boots
Warface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2017, 8:41 PM   #2
ICEW0LF

What motherboard is it? Gigabyte?

Doesn't really matter. Make sure your ssd is plugged into your first sata port and see if the issue goes away. If the BIOS resets your boot order from device detection issues this will mean it will default to the lowest number sata port which will then be your ssd.
Project: ICED ARMOR: i7 870@4GHz | EK HF + MCP655 Var + XSPC Restop + MCR320 + MCR120 | P7P55D-E Pro + EK Blocks | 12GB DDR3 2GHz | EVGA GTX780 + Aquacomputer Kryographics | ASUS ST | Marantz SR4000 + A5 Passives | HX620 | TT Armor + 3x Lian Li EX33B + Scythe\Noctua Fans | Ducky KB + Razer Vespula + R.A.T9 | S27A950D + PX2370 |
ICEW0LF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2017, 8:52 PM   #3
Warface Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICEW0LF View Post
What motherboard is it? Gigabyte?

Doesn't really matter. Make sure your ssd is plugged into your first sata port and see if the issue goes away. If the BIOS resets your boot order from device detection issues this will mean it will default to the lowest number sata port which will then be your ssd.
Hey thanks for the reply, i think you may be right, it is a gigabyte MB, however I have had this rig for at least 5 years. Only now this has happened?
Do you reckon the jacket is more of a hipster or a Russian gangster style because I want to impress this old Russian guy I play the pokies with, but don't want to come accross as a hipster so considering it, but can't really see how it would match some black slacks with black boots
Old 17th April 2017, 10:27 PM   #4
ICEW0LF

i just don't like gigabyte and have seen lots of dumb shit from them over the years fixing thousands of PCs. Seen their motherboards do that sort of thing on occasion. Rearrange your ports should get rid of the issue.

As to what is triggering it well could be mobo or HDD or something else. Download HBCD and run a long test with seatools on both drives and also run a memtest just to check your RAM health.

No hardware changes recently that might have triggered it? New USB devices? Updated BIOS recently?
Project: ICED ARMOR: i7 870@4GHz | EK HF + MCP655 Var + XSPC Restop + MCR320 + MCR120 | P7P55D-E Pro + EK Blocks | 12GB DDR3 2GHz | EVGA GTX780 + Aquacomputer Kryographics | ASUS ST | Marantz SR4000 + A5 Passives | HX620 | TT Armor + 3x Lian Li EX33B + Scythe\Noctua Fans | Ducky KB + Razer Vespula + R.A.T9 | S27A950D + PX2370 |
ICEW0LF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2017, 7:45 PM   #5
Warface Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICEW0LF View Post
i just don't like gigabyte and have seen lots of dumb shit from them over the years fixing thousands of PCs. Seen their motherboards do that sort of thing on occasion. Rearrange your ports should get rid of the issue.

As to what is triggering it well could be mobo or HDD or something else. Download HBCD and run a long test with seatools on both drives and also run a memtest just to check your RAM health.

No hardware changes recently that might have triggered it? New USB devices? Updated BIOS recently?
Thanks for the detailed reply, it has been the same for last 3-4 years, however I did change some ports about a year or so ago when I took some older smaller drives out.
Old 20th April 2017, 3:38 PM   #6
MR CHILLED
D'oh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warface View Post
Hey thanks for the reply, i think you may be right, it is a gigabyte MB, however I have had this rig for at least 5 years. Only now this has happened?
Just stuff happens sometimes out of the blue with pc's. In any regard I very much doubt it's virus related.
Old 21st April 2017, 12:48 PM   #7
digamma

Also try changing the sata cable. An inconsistent fault like this can sometimes be caused by a sata cable on its way to the afterlife.
Old 21st April 2017, 4:50 PM   #8
Warface Thread Starter

Thanks guys for helping me,

Cheers.
Old 24th April 2017, 3:04 PM   #9
rickoles

If you have had the pc for ~5 years like you mentioned the bios battery could be flat so when the PC lost power at some point the bios settings were wiped. Would recommend changing the battery.
Old 25th April 2017, 9:09 AM   #10
Warface Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickoles View Post
If you have had the pc for ~5 years like you mentioned the bios battery could be flat so when the PC lost power at some point the bios settings were wiped. Would recommend changing the battery.
Good idea, will do that!
Old 4th June 2017, 6:56 PM   #11
Warface Thread Starter

Hey to all that contributed and followed, the new motherboard battery worked a treat!