Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > Storage & Backup

Notices

Old 6th May 2017, 6:34 PM   #91
broccoli

What OS is on your server and is it doing anything in the background when Plex slows down?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankari View Post
I expected this to be bad, but they really put the effort in and took it to a whole new level of atrocious.
broccoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2017, 6:37 PM   #92
Madengineer Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copie View Post
If there is issues with your wireless network (which is probable especially on the 2.4ghz band) then it could be the cause to your problems.

Its an easy diagnostic test

And your using external hdds? on USB2 i take it?
Not on 2.4 (using 5ghz). Externals on USB3.

The Chromecast just gave me an error through the Plex app that 'Conversion failed. A required codec could not be found or is not installed'.

Plex was literally just playing these files 2 hours ago (albeit crashing part way through)

Quote:
Originally Posted by broccoli View Post
What OS is on your server and is it doing anything in the background when Plex slows down?

Win10 and no. It's dedicated to streaming Plex. It only has basic OS installed, with Utorrent (not operating) and Plex.
Old 6th May 2017, 6:41 PM   #93
MaximusSmurf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madengineer View Post
Not on 2.4 (using 5ghz). Externals on USB3.

The Chromecast just gave me an error through the Plex app that 'Conversion failed. A required codec could not be found or is not installed'.

Plex was literally just playing these files 2 hours ago (albeit crashing part way through)

Win10 and no. It's dedicated to streaming Plex. It only has basic OS installed, with Utorrent (not operating) and Plex.
Any reason to be on Windows? Do you use it for any standard desktop stuff? Might be worth chucking Linux on. Run plex and maybe deluge webgui for torrents. Probs a decent test to see if it's OS or configuration related. Got another hdd you could install Linux on to test so you can swap to current to system if if it doesn't fix the issue.
Main Rig: 4690k@4.2 ghz | Asrock Z97 Anniversary | 2x4gb G.skill 1600mhz CL9 | Samsung 840 Pro (RAID 0) | Corsair Carbide Air 240 | Silverstone ST65F-G | Gigabyte GTX980 ti G1 | Philips 40" 4k monitor
ESXi: Intel S2600CP2J | Xeon E5-2560 x 2 | 128gb 1600mhz ECC RAM | 1TB Samsung Evo SSD | Fractal XL
MaximusSmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2017, 6:44 PM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximusSmurf View Post
Any reason to be on Windows? Do you use it for any standard desktop stuff? Might be worth chucking Linux on. Run plex and maybe deluge webgui for torrents. Probs a decent test to see if it's OS or configuration related. Got another hdd you could install Linux on to test so you can swap to current to system if if it doesn't fix the issue.
Nah, it was just easier. haha

Might need to look into Linux as a try.

Alright. Plex is currently working through the Chromecast (no longer giving me a codec error).

There was a small update and that rectified.

Currently running Plex through my main desktop PC (stopped using it because it's high power and made the room warm, never had a problem).

Will try Linux over the next day or so, and see how it goes.
Old 6th May 2017, 6:50 PM   #95
MaximusSmurf

Quote:
Nah, it was just easier. haha

Might need to look into Linux as a try.

Alright. Plex is currently working through the Chromecast (no longer giving me a codec error).

There was a small update and that rectified.

Currently running Plex through my main desktop PC (stopped using it because it's high power and made the room warm, never had a problem).

Will try Linux over the next day or so, and see how it goes.
FYI I use a Vsphere host at home I give the plex server 2 x 2.66ghz cores. And 4gb ram. Never had any trouble playing anything on my tablet, phone or the plex Web gui. So certainly doesn't need huge power.

I do find more ram and cores will help when transcoding to 'save' shows to my tablet when I go away. As in it'll complete faster.

And that's running Ubuntu 16.04. Have also run it in Docker container with similar results
Main Rig: 4690k@4.2 ghz | Asrock Z97 Anniversary | 2x4gb G.skill 1600mhz CL9 | Samsung 840 Pro (RAID 0) | Corsair Carbide Air 240 | Silverstone ST65F-G | Gigabyte GTX980 ti G1 | Philips 40" 4k monitor
ESXi: Intel S2600CP2J | Xeon E5-2560 x 2 | 128gb 1600mhz ECC RAM | 1TB Samsung Evo SSD | Fractal XL
MaximusSmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2017, 7:08 PM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximusSmurf View Post
FYI I use a Vsphere host at home I give the plex server 2 x 2.66ghz cores. And 4gb ram. Never had any trouble playing anything on my tablet, phone or the plex Web gui. So certainly doesn't need huge power.

I do find more ram and cores will help when transcoding to 'save' shows to my tablet when I go away. As in it'll complete faster.

And that's running Ubuntu 16.04. Have also run it in Docker container with similar results
Yeah, it shouldn't be highly consuming. I don't think the hardware is the issue. This is most defs a software issue.

So far so good. To even rule out the externals as an issue, going to set up a temp Plex library on a 1tb drive I forgot I had in my main PC

So that should rule it out.

And everything is now wired (apart from the chromecast).
Old 6th May 2017, 11:09 PM   #97
Copie

Everytime it fails with something like that it will pump out a debug log on plex server, you can save it and make a post on plex with it attached and they can help diagnose it.

By the sounds of it, its a plex server software issue, the update has probably fixed it, but if it doesnt it might be worth deleting plex server and reinstalling (using CCleaner to completely remove the old install)

I had something similar happen ages back and a reinstall fixed it.

Your server being a 2600s has more then enough cpu processing power to transcode multiple streams providing your external hdds have enough bandwidth via the usb 3 chip onboard.

The only time you want alot of processing grunt is if you are attempting to transcode UHD content especially uncompressed BR.
Copie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2017, 12:00 AM   #98
broccoli

Quote:
Win10 and no.
Have you checked? Windows does shitloads of "stuff" behind your back. Just check the task scheduler (if that's still there and if you are "permitted" to change anything) to see whether anything's running.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankari View Post
I expected this to be bad, but they really put the effort in and took it to a whole new level of atrocious.
broccoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2017, 4:16 PM   #99

Alright so this is still an issue. And it's driving me nuts.

The files artifact when I attempt to play them as original content via Chromecast or Xbox. If I select a different level of quality they'll play (but it only offers me 480p).

I've done everything that's been suggested. I've reinstalled god knows how many times!

Right now I'm spitting over the fact that Plex requires an internet connection just to play! It's ridiculous when I'm in my own damn house and it still wants to connect to an outside service just to play something on my TV 10 metres away!
Old 19th June 2017, 5:48 PM   #100
Renza

Quote:
Right now I'm spitting over the fact that Plex requires an internet connection just to play! It's ridiculous when I'm in my own damn house and it still wants to connect to an outside service just to play something on my TV 10 metres away!
Plex does not require an internet connection to work. Only if you want to use it through their proxy site.
Renza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2017, 5:50 PM   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renza View Post
Plex does not require an internet connection to work. Only if you want to use it through their proxy site.
To use it with a chromechast you need to run it through the proxy site.

You can run it through an xbox without it, but it looks shit and loses a heap of functionality.
Old 19th June 2017, 8:03 PM   #102
EclipZ

In case this was missed, might be another option worth looking at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GumbyNoTalent View Post
Can't be assed reading all this jibba jabba about Plex.

http://serviio.org/ <= works well and transcodes on the fly.
Not much difference between the free and licensed version and gives many options like turning off metadata, server available for Windows/Linux/Mac/embedded.
Playback could be choppy when you first add your shared media and initial indexing is happening, Resource monitor Disk tab will show lots of access to all the files until it is done.

Works well for DLNA transcoding at our place for devices that need it, even over wireless when filesize/bitrate isn't too high.
Running on an i3-2100 which also concurrently serves media via network shares and other things too, 2600 should kill it unless there is some kind of IO problem somewhere.