Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > General Topics > Overclocking & Hardware

Notices

Old 19th June 2017, 5:22 PM   #1
AgB deano Thread Starter

Default 6700k delidding, overclocking, stability and summer temps

Howdy, after advice here, new to skylake overclocking. My main concern is when i'm video encoding for hours at a time in the summer and the ambients therefore cpu temps are up another 10-15degs.

The system is 4.5 "stable" at 1.335 which is fine for gaming but fails prime, therefore not great for encoding. Right now I've currently got the system very stable (3hrs prime95 blend) at 4.5ghz with everything turned on (VM, HT, c states, speedstep) at 1.350v in an msi z170a blahblah, 3200mhz 2x8gb at 16-18-18-32 CR2.

Peaks at 70 in prime95 using a h110, mx3 compound and 2x corsair af140 fans capped to 70%.

The question is, reckon it's worth delidding this and resealing it? I'd use liquid metal and silicon-with-a-gap-to-seal method that's well documented and i've got an actual delid kit to it'd be safe enough.

From my limited understanding, that frequency at those temps/voltage is fairly good yeah? I ask as frankly I can't be fucked delidding but will if I should and would see a marked decrease in temps before summer. The other thing is that I've got most of the gear for a custom loop (240 or a 360 rad, d5 pump, random res, 1/2" fittings and pipe. just need a block) that i'll build closer to summer when time permits, so whether I should delid knowing that system will quite likely outperform the h110 is the real question here.

Any thoughts and/or help would be appreciated

Last edited by AgB deano; 19th June 2017 at 5:32 PM.
AgB deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2017, 8:51 PM   #2
Ratzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgB deano View Post
Howdy, after advice here, new to skylake overclocking. My main concern is when i'm video encoding for hours at a time in the summer and the ambients therefore cpu temps are up another 10-15degs.

The system is 4.5 "stable" at 1.335 which is fine for gaming but fails prime, therefore not great for encoding. Right now I've currently got the system very stable (3hrs prime95 blend) at 4.5ghz with everything turned on (VM, HT, c states, speedstep) at 1.350v in an msi z170a blahblah, 3200mhz 2x8gb at 16-18-18-32 CR2.

Peaks at 70 in prime95 using a h110, mx3 compound and 2x corsair af140 fans capped to 70%.

The question is, reckon it's worth delidding this and resealing it? I'd use liquid metal and silicon-with-a-gap-to-seal method that's well documented and i've got an actual delid kit to it'd be safe enough.

From my limited understanding, that frequency at those temps/voltage is fairly good yeah? I ask as frankly I can't be fucked delidding but will if I should and would see a marked decrease in temps before summer. The other thing is that I've got most of the gear for a custom loop (240 or a 360 rad, d5 pump, random res, 1/2" fittings and pipe. just need a block) that i'll build closer to summer when time permits, so whether I should delid knowing that system will quite likely outperform the h110 is the real question here.

Any thoughts and/or help would be appreciated
If you are peaking at 70 now, you'll be peaking a lot higher in summer!! Delidding with liquid metal drops temps by 15-20 - even more on a hot chip. Its a no brainer, do it.

IMHO, that should make sufficient difference to make the H110 perfectly capable. You are transcoding, not running P95, so its never going to get anywhere near that hot anyway.

You will also find that you can get higher clocks with lower voltages after the delid. Efficiency improves.

Maybe I've just been lucky when it comes to the silicon lottery, but I think your volts seem a little high for 4.5. I used to get 4.5@ 1.28 on my last 6700K.

Part of that could be the search for stability in P95, which is completely unnecessary. If its stable in gaming, it should be fine video encoding too.. try dropping the volts a bit, game for a few days, and see if you are stable in gaming. P95 is nasty, you just don't need it to survive extended periods of that.

FYI I'm using a small custom loop, single 280mm rad, with a single 1080 in the loop as well as my current 7700K - so basically, my cooling is the same as yours but with a better pump. Right now, in a heated room @ 20, I can run P95 @ 5.15 GHz all day long without going over 60. Before delidding, in the same conditions, more like 80.

My Rig- Nokia 830, with silicone jacket upgrade.
Ratzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2017, 9:49 PM   #3
AgB deano Thread Starter

Awesome advice, thanks heaps fellas, I'll be delidding for sure now

I was getting a BSOD when trying to boot at 4.5 / 1.320v. I figured I've got an average chip but I was also screwing around with the settings at the time so maybe that was it. I've only had this gear setup since friday last week and came directly from a 3570k, so still getting used to it.

I was thinking the chunky 240 rad would be better for space TBH. I've got a heap of random gear just lying around, I plan to just frankenloop it - the h110 is probably fine but this is something i've wanted to do again for a while now

I haven't built a watercooling loop for myself since my athlon back in 2003? Something like that. Mostly consisted of a cyclone block, corolla heater core, eheim pond pump, some random res from coolpc, stainless pipe clamps and silicon tubing.. Quality watercooling gear sure is easier to get these days

Last edited by AgB deano; 19th June 2017 at 10:08 PM.
AgB deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2017, 10:47 PM   #4
AgB deano Thread Starter

It's tempting but ehhhhhhh. I'll probably do it one day for shits and giggles. I remember aaaaages ago this fella that had pipes through his floor to full sized car radiator mounted on the side of his house or something? Or was it under the house? THAT would be a fun project

I haven't ventured into this part of the forums in a long while. Headin's work looks tops considering he uses liquid metal and reseals it. His 7700k thread truly sealed the deal on delidding, what a difference it makes

I've got the same delidding tool as he uses but i'll probably make a hash of it anyway - me and liquid metal don't quite get along since its cousin mercury ended up in my carpet