Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Manufacturer-specific Forums > Intel x86 CPUs and chipsets

Notices

Old 15th May 2017, 2:14 AM   #376
Azzan

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_fuzz View Post
Hey All,

I feel like buying stuff - so decided its time to upgrade my HTPC NUC, current NUC is around 2 years old (pretty sure it's one of the first gen with an i5, HD5200 graphics, HDMI etc)

Anyway, was looking to upgrade to a

http://www.intel.com.au/content/www/...nuc7i7bnh.html

But I can't seem to find it available in Aus? Anyone know why? Or does Aus have a different product code?
I would definitely avoid i7 NUC cos they run super hot and noisy ALL the time thanks to Intel's cheap inadequate heatsink/fan.
Gen5 i7 NUC(NUC5I7RYH, 28W TDP) = http://www.legitreviews.com/intel-nu...eview_163523/4
I was gonna buy Gen5 i7 NUC but then changed it to i5 NUC(15W TDP) after finding out about the heat/noise issue, but even the i5 NUC ran pretty hot and was bit too noisy for me.

Then I got interested Gen6 i7 NUC(NUC6i7KYK, 45W TDP) cos it came in larger case(better cooling for 45W TDP) but it also runs very hot and noisy under load.
http://www.legitreviews.com/intel-nu...eview_181416/4

If you check the Intel forum(NUC section) there are soo many people complaining about the heat/noise on i7 models, but Intel just doesn't seem to give a f... so the Gen7 i7 NUC(NUC7i7BNH, 28W TDP) will probably also run hot/noisy all the time.

Sad thing is that heat/noise issue on Intel NUC isn't due to it's small size(but simply due to Intel using cheap/inadequate cooling), because Asus/MSI/Gigabyte's NUC equivalents are same size(use same TDP CPUs) but they all run cool and very quite.
i7 7700K | Noctua NH-D14 | Asus Prime Z270-P | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 | 4GB MSI GTX1050Ti Gaming | 500GB Samsung 960 EVO | Fractal Define C | Corsair RM550X | 24" Samsung CFG70 | Windows 10 64bit

Last edited by Azzan; 15th May 2017 at 10:11 AM.
Azzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2017, 3:57 PM   #377
Bold Eagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzan View Post
I would definitely avoid i7 NUC cos they run super hot and noisy ALL the time thanks to Intel's cheap inadequate heatsink/fan.
Gen5 i7 NUC(NUC5I7RYH, 28W TDP) = http://www.legitreviews.com/intel-nu...eview_163523/4
I was gonna buy Gen5 i7 NUC but then changed it to i5 NUC(15W TDP) after finding out about the heat/noise issue, but even the i5 NUC ran pretty hot and was bit too noisy for me.

Then I got interested Gen6 i7 NUC(NUC6i7KYK, 45W TDP) cos it came in larger case(better cooling for 45W TDP) but it also runs very hot and noisy under load.
http://www.legitreviews.com/intel-nu...eview_181416/4

If you check the Intel forum(NUC section) there are soo many people complaining about the heat/noise on i7 models, but Intel just doesn't seem to give a f... so the Gen7 i7 NUC(NUC7i7BNH, 28W TDP) will probably also run hot/noisy all the time.

Sad thing is that heat/noise issue on Intel NUC isn't due to it's small size(but simply due to Intel using cheap/inadequate cooling), because Asus/MSI/Gigabyte's NUC equivalents are same size(use same TDP CPUs) but they all run cool and very quite.
The noise is always going to be an issue when you want to put something powerful in such a small environment - else you just nerf the power and defeat the purpose.

It seems SFF would be far more suitable for your means:
http://forums.overclockers.com.au/sh....php?t=1220718
Old 16th May 2017, 12:46 PM   #378
Azzan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bold Eagle View Post
The noise is always going to be an issue when you want to put something powerful in such a small environment - else you just nerf the power and defeat the purpose.

Quote:
i7 7700K | Noctua NH-D14 | Asus Prime Z270-P | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 | 4GB MSI GTX1050Ti Gaming | 500GB Samsung 960 EVO | Fractal Define C | Corsair RM550X | 24" Samsung CFG70 | Windows 10 64bit
Azzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2017, 6:24 PM   #379
Bold Eagle

Quote:
I didn't notice that comment - are the cooling internal space of similar dimensions?

I'd be interested to see these comparisons as I find it very hard to believe that you can have an i7 running at it's optimised best in such a tiny space and if noise is an issue in the Intel (and they seem to be doing nothing about it) swap out the cooling fan for a better unit.

Some of the units listed here;
https://www.jw.com.au/products/deskt...anded/barebone

They do have the Intel performance units;

Intel NUC Kit NUC6i7KYK ("Skull Canyon") Review and Ratings
Old 17th May 2017, 4:27 PM   #380
Rockman.EXE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bold Eagle View Post
I've wondered how one of these fare with the external GPU enclosures; Toyed with the idea of having one as my main rig, with a external GPU at multiple locations - IE One box with the GTX1070 at home, a box at folk's place with the spare RX470, one at work with Quadro.

Main rig - https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/VcctLD

Home Server - https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/NPhwYr
Rockman.EXE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2017, 4:31 PM   #381
Copie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockman.EXE View Post
I've wondered how one of these fare with the external GPU enclosures; Toyed with the idea of having one as my main rig, with a external GPU at multiple locations - IE One box with the GTX1070 at home, a box at folk's place with the spare RX470, one at work with Quadro.

There is only two egpu enclosures on the market currently, Alienware which is propitiatory and blade which is the same.

By the time you factor in size and cost it's cheaper to build a itx box, it will be smaller
Copie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2017, 7:43 AM   #382
Sabien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copie View Post
There is only two egpu enclosures on the market currently, Alienware which is propitiatory and blade which is the same.

By the time you factor in size and cost it's cheaper to build a itx box, it will be smaller
There are more than 2.

I'm using an Akitio Thunder3 box with an EVGA 1050ti as my egpu for my skull canyon and it works a treat.

Akitio also make a dedicated EGPU called the Akitio Node
Sabien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2017, 1:47 PM   #383
victorshen

Bought the skull canyon yesterday, but no luck to make it work with my old Dell 3007 monitor.

The adapter I use is Volans Mini DisplayPort to DVI Male to Female Converter 4K which claims to have 4k support but it didn't. It's working only up till 1280x800 resolution on the Dell. Tried another monitor working at 1920x1200 resolution.

Just wondering anyone has experience of a working adapter for this situation?

Cheers

Vic
victorshen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2017, 4:10 PM   #384
jakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorshen View Post
Bought the skull canyon yesterday, but no luck to make it work with my old Dell 3007 monitor.

The adapter I use is Volans Mini DisplayPort to DVI Male to Female Converter 4K which claims to have 4k support but it didn't. It's working only up till 1280x800 resolution on the Dell. Tried another monitor working at 1920x1200 resolution.

Just wondering anyone has experience of a working adapter for this situation?

Cheers

Vic
theres something faintly amusing about running a nuc using 15w with a monitor using ~150w .. maybe time to upgrade the monitor .. 2 birds etc