Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > Networking, Telephony & Internet

Notices

Old 21st June 2017, 8:39 PM   #31
chip

Quote:
Originally Posted by caspian View Post
in the meantime, NBN has a solution in planning that will make the issue very transparent indeed. there won't be anywhere to hide then.
is it....nationalise everything?
chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2017, 8:44 PM   #32
clonex

Quote:
anyone listening to triple M isn't doing so because they want to discuss the technical issues of carrier broadband infrastructure.
Sorta expect more from some resident tech-expert called Trevor that apparently has his own tech blog/site.
clonex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2017, 9:20 PM   #33
th3_hawk

I'm getting "503 Service Unavailable" when I try to sign up.

Got a VW? VWWatercooled
Currently for Sale: Roboking
th3_hawk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2017, 9:23 PM   #34
caspian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip View Post
is it....nationalise everything?
that won't address the issue of CVC capacity being left to the ISP. what it will do is allow visibility of it being the issue in isolation of other factors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clonex View Post
Sorta expect more from some resident tech-expert called Trevor that apparently has his own tech blog/site.
Microsoft absolved people of generally needing to know how a computer worked. blogger sites and facebook completed the job by removing the need to actually have something valuable to say before you could broadcast your opinions to the world with less than a cheap tablet and a free wifi connection.

the days of being able to respect something published publicly on the basis of the sheer cost of getting it there alone driving quality vanished over two decades ago.

Please do not contact me directly for advice on NBN related issues. Your ISP is your contact point for support. If they can't or more likely won't help you, why are you rewarding them with your business?
caspian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2017, 11:19 PM   #35
fredhoon

Quote:
in the meantime, NBN has a solution in planning that will make the issue very transparent indeed. there won't be anywhere to hide then.
are you able to indicate ballpark timing for this by any chance? My old folks place is now NBN ready (Telstra HFC area) however I'm struggling to recommend an ISP for them (thinking Skymesh at this stage).

If CVC transparency is 6-12mths away I'll tell them to hold out for a bit so I can gauge the market.
go soothingly on the grease mud as they're lurks a skid demon
fredhoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2017, 12:09 AM   #36
TRG.dOinK

Quote:
that won't address the issue of CVC capacity being left to the ISP. what it will do is allow visibility of it being the issue in isolation of other factors.
Bit off topic, but can you get FTA over FTTP yet, or still in the works? I never hear any updates about it, but would prefer it did, over using an antenna that never gets perfect reception etc.
TRG.dOinK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2017, 5:29 AM   #37
clonex

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRG.dOinK View Post
Bit off topic, but can you get FTA over FTTP yet, or still in the works? I never hear any updates about it, but would prefer it did, over using an antenna that never gets perfect reception etc.
Opticomm does FTA/Foxtel, didnt think nbn had any plans for such
clonex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2017, 7:38 AM   #38
dave_dave_dave

On SkyMesh FTTN. Signed up, I for one welcome my accc mind control box.

\0/
|
/\
Muhammad
dave_dave_dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2017, 9:16 AM   #39
bcann Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_dave_dave View Post
On SkyMesh FTTN. Signed up, I for one welcome my accc mind control box.
skymesh isn't going great now that they've been bought out, they've been reducing cvc since the new management took over and congestion has been rearing its head whereas before it wasn't an issue....

take from that what you will...
bcann is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2017, 9:25 AM   #40
caspian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredhoon View Post
are you able to indicate ballpark timing for this by any chance?
not yet. if it was delivered in the next 6 months I will be very surprised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRG.dOinK View Post
yes you can, but only for new greenfields developments going forward, and only where the developer has decided to take up the offer of the product. there is no retrofit planned for existing sites, that's not what the government directed be done.

Please do not contact me directly for advice on NBN related issues. Your ISP is your contact point for support. If they can't or more likely won't help you, why are you rewarding them with your business?
Old 23rd June 2017, 10:32 AM   #41
dave_dave_dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcann View Post
skymesh isn't going great now that they've been bought out, they've been reducing cvc since the new management took over and congestion has been rearing its head whereas before it wasn't an issue....

take from that what you will...
I've definitely noticed it. Peak was getting solid 95mbit, now sometimes get 60mbit. Thinking about churning, not sure who too yet, maybe aussie broadband.

\0/
|
/\
Muhammad
dave_dave_dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2017, 11:01 AM   #42
gords
Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredhoon View Post
are you able to indicate ballpark timing for this by any chance? My old folks place is now NBN ready (Telstra HFC area) however I'm struggling to recommend an ISP for them (thinking Skymesh at this stage).
Before you do so, I'd have a look at the latest threads on WP relating to SkyMesh. Things have changed significantly post-buyout (I thought it might just be me, but my experiences are mirrored by many others). There are lots of complaints about SkyMesh now being just like every other ISP with not enough CVC bandwidth being purchased to ensure decent speeds during peak times. With their MD no longer on WP, representation apart from bog-standard replies is very scarce.

It seems most people are jumping to Aussie Broadband.

"The beauty of grace is that it makes life not fair." - Relient K, Be My Escape

"God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." Romans 5:8
gords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2017, 3:05 PM   #43
fredhoon

Quote:
not yet. if it was delivered in the next 6 months I will be very surprised.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcann View Post
skymesh isn't going great now that they've been bought out, they've been reducing cvc since the new management took over <snip>
Quote:
Originally Posted by gords View Post
Before you do so, I'd have a look at the latest threads on WP relating to SkyMesh. Things have changed significantly post-buyout (I thought it might just be me, but my experiences are mirrored by many others). <snip>

It seems most people are jumping to Aussie Broadband.
Cheers guys, much appreciated.
go soothingly on the grease mud as they're lurks a skid demon
fredhoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2017, 12:16 PM   #44
caspian

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-07-2...speeds/8726268

"Mr Sims told AM the telco giants have now been instructed to refer to "typical" rather than "up to" speeds, especially in peak periods, when advertising NBN products."

Old 22nd July 2017, 8:47 AM   #45
ktmrida

Might sign this one up

i expect my results to be a little different though as im on MyRepublics Gigatown, 1000/400 mbps
ktmrida is offline   Reply With Quote