Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > Hobby Engineering

Notices

Old 4th July 2017, 5:48 PM   #2041
1shot1kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recharge View Post
yea, if lead acid didn't work the way it does, can charge 90~% pretty quickly, but the last 10, no matter what you do, is just down to chemistry and in total takes about 8 hours. (dependent on how much you take from the batteries of course)

this is where the various lithium variants excel, but, the cost is still crazy.

this is where I'd like a smart solar controller that could move excess power to something else automatically, but then, I'd never be able to afford it ha.
The Kid by Midnite Solar.
1shot1kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2017, 10:13 AM   #2042
Sunder

Does anyone know of a battery side high voltage MPPT controller? Most seem to top out at 96v packs.

I have an opportunity to buy an enterprise grade UPS that uses a 240vdc nominal battery pack for next to nothing. You can turn it into an inverter by disabling the alarm.

The simplest way would be to reconfigure the solar panels to 300vdc strings and charge the battery that way. Many controllers will take 300v on the solar side, but nowhere near that on the battery side. Any recommendations?
Sunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2017, 12:04 PM   #2043
Stanza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunder View Post
Does anyone know of a battery side high voltage MPPT controller? Most seem to top out at 96v packs.

I have an opportunity to buy an enterprise grade UPS that uses a 240vdc nominal battery pack for next to nothing. You can turn it into an inverter by disabling the alarm.

The simplest way would be to reconfigure the solar panels to 300vdc strings and charge the battery that way. Many controllers will take 300v on the solar side, but nowhere near that on the battery side. Any recommendations?
Multiple small controllers charging 48v groups?

the magnetic charge in HDD's still deteriorate when siting on a shelf so IMHO these shouldn't be sold "as new"
Stanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2017, 12:30 PM   #2044
Recharge

Quote:

I have a 4kw UPS the battery pack is ~200v 15x5ah packs with a double pack extension.

I did have an inverter charging it up during the day from solar, but the inverter shit it's self and I haven't had the budget to replace it.

damn handy in power outages, with a 8hour run time 1.6Kva generator as well, I can run lots of things for quite a long time.

I doubt I could afford a controller that could tie into the batteries though.

now, if I could afford to have 15x 200ah batteries...
I'm british on my mum's side and think most aussies and aussie culture in general is just absolutely degenerate.
Recharge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2017, 5:43 PM   #2045
Sunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanza View Post

Would prefer not to have to manually balance 5 packs like that. You'd need to watch it very carefully, because even partial cloud for a few hours or other shading would unbalance yiur battery.
Old 24th August 2017, 6:13 PM   #2046
Mathuisella Thread Starter

Quote:
Would prefer not to have to manually balance 5 packs like that. You'd need to watch it very carefully, because even partial cloud for a few hours or other shading would unbalance yiur battery.
so many worry about balancing it's crazy. just use the damn things and be done with it.

You can evidently see who here holds an attitude of trying to improve and happiness, as compared to the sourpusses that frequent here.
Mathuisella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2017, 7:55 PM   #2047
Fred Nurk

Quote:

I'd be far more concerned about how you'd ground such an arrangement.
People measure effort when they can't measure results. When someone complains of a lack of effort on your part, you've already won as they don't know what you are doing, and they don't know what you should be doing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke212 View Post
im an idiot savant.
Fred Nurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2017, 11:06 PM   #2048
Stanza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Nurk View Post
I'd be far more concerned about how you'd ground such an arrangement.
Sorry I a am not proficient in electricity.......

Please explain?

Eg if I have 4 x 12v batteries in series..... giving 48v

Wouldn't I be able to charge each 12v battery separately?

Eg each charge controllers pos and neg outputs connected to each individual battery?.......

Thus in effect it would get around the balancing the 4 batteries in series..... if each battery is of a different age and or internal resistance etc.

Much like you would balance a lipo or lithium pack?

It would also get around the problem of if one battery died..... then you wouldn't be over charging the hell out of the remaining 3 batteries....?

I am still learning and experimenting.... so please explain if what I think above is way off?

the magnetic charge in HDD's still deteriorate when siting on a shelf so IMHO these shouldn't be sold "as new"
Stanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2017, 9:35 AM   #2049
Sunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathuisella View Post
so many worry about balancing it's crazy. just use the damn things and be done with it.

I forgot to mention I'll be using Lithium - Either LiFePo4 or NMC.

Yeah, I wouldn't be worried too much about balancing lead acid. Just slightly overcharge it once every few months.

Lithium is another matter entirely. Lack of balance kills Lithium batteries pretty quick.
Old 28th August 2017, 1:28 AM   #2050

So, it looks like my experience with off grid solar has come in handy got some Uni placement designing an off grid Solar setup to run 24 hours a day for four years
So happy. Just finished off a draft report for it.
You can evidently see who here holds an attitude of trying to improve and happiness, as compared to the sourpusses that frequent here.
Old 28th August 2017, 7:31 AM   #2051
Alby1976

Nice, pls do share.
Old 28th August 2017, 1:26 PM   #2052

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alby1976 View Post
Nice, pls do share.
Don't think i'm allowed to, sorry. I'll just say it's research based.
Old 28th August 2017, 10:23 PM   #2053
Fred Nurk

Quote:
Sorry I a am not proficient in electricity.......

Please explain?

Eg if I have 4 x 12v batteries in series..... giving 48v

Wouldn't I be able to charge each 12v battery separately?

Eg each charge controllers pos and neg outputs connected to each individual battery?.......

Thus in effect it would get around the balancing the 4 batteries in series..... if each battery is of a different age and or internal resistance etc.

It would also get around the problem of if one battery died..... then you wouldn't be over charging the hell out of the remaining 3 batteries....?

I am still learning and experimenting.... so please explain if what I think above is way off?

If your charge controller expects one side to be grounded (from memory most of them do), then if you attempt what you're suggesting then you're going to be in trouble.
People measure effort when they can't measure results. When someone complains of a lack of effort on your part, you've already won as they don't know what you are doing, and they don't know what you should be doing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke212 View Post
im an idiot savant.
Fred Nurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2017, 11:07 PM   #2054
RobRoySyd

Quote:

SLA and flooded batteries are pretty much self balancing. I've been in batteries (room) wired in series up to over 400V and no balance issues. Charging circuit was pretty basic too.

These types of batteries are designed to be somewhat over charged and this boost / equalisation charging gets all the cells into the same condition. For lead acid this causes the water to dissociate into hydrogen and oxygen and in the case of flooded cells, vented, That's why they need topping up and why some care needs to taken to avoid an explosion.

Quote:
If one cell or battery with this type of chemistry dies the whole bank usually needs to be replaced.