Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Software Topics > Windows Operating Systems

Notices

Old 13th September 2017, 10:42 AM   #5656
BuuBox

Thanks, will give it a try.

Have been trying to avoid reinstalling, but it'll give me an excuse to install a bigger SSD.

With a digital license (Windows 7 to 10 free upgrade), is it as simple as installing to a blank drive using the ISO download?
BuuBox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2017, 2:15 PM   #5657
looktall
Working Class Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuuBox View Post
With a digital license (Windows 7 to 10 free upgrade), is it as simple as installing to a blank drive using the ISO download?
you can back the license up and tie it to an MS account.

https://www.howtogeek.com/226510/how...%99s-hardware/
looktall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2017, 2:21 PM   #5658
pantner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuuBox View Post
Thanks, will give it a try.

Have been trying to avoid reinstalling, but it'll give me an excuse to install a bigger SSD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by looktall View Post
you can back the license up and tie it to an MS account.

https://www.howtogeek.com/226510/how...%99s-hardware/
you shouldn't need to do that though.

I've reinstalled Windows 10 on my main computer at home multiple times, onto different HDDs and it's just installed without entering a key. I did a free upgrade from 8.1.

It just activated on it's own after I logged in.
Intel i7 860, Gigabyte PA55-UD5, 2x4GB DDR3, 300GB Velociraptor, 2x2TB Seagate SATA in RAID 0, NVIDIA GTX580, Pioneer DVD burner, Silverstone OP850W, ASUS 23" LCD, Acer 23" LCD, Microsoft X6, Microsoft Intellimouse, Noctua NH-D14
pantner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2017, 2:28 PM   #5659
looktall
Working Class Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantner View Post
you shouldn't need to do that though.

I've reinstalled Windows 10 on my main computer at home multiple times, onto different HDDs and it's just installed without entering a key. I did a free upgrade from 8.1.

It just activated on it's own after I logged in.
I don't doubt you. I'd prefer to have my license backed up anyway.
Old 13th September 2017, 2:28 PM   #5660
Bold Eagle

Win10 has a big update this week it was noted over at overclock.net from:

Windows 10 Patch Tuesday update 15063.608 now available for PC and Mobile

Quote:

Changelog

Addressed issue where the color profiles do not revert to the user-specified settings after playing a full-screen game.
Updated HDR feature to be turned off by default in the OS.
Addressed issue where you can't open the Start menu when you add a third-party IME.
Addressed issue with scanners that rely on inbox driver support.
Addressed issue in a Mobile Device Manager Enterprise feature to allow headsets to work correctly.
Addressed issue where some machines fail to load wireless WAN devices when they resume from Sleep.
Addressed issue where Windows Error Reporting doesn't clean up temporary files when there is a redirection on a folder.
Addressed issue where revoking a certificate associated with a disabled user account in the CA management console fails. The error is "The user name or password is incorrect. 0x8007052e (WIN32: 1326 ERROR_LOGON_FAILURE)".
Addressed issue where LSASS is leaking large amounts of memory.
Addressed issue where enabling encryption using syskey.exe renders the system unbootable.
Updated the BitLocker.psm1 PowerShell script to not log passwords when logging is enabled.
Addressed issue where saving a credential with an empty password to Credential Manager causes the system to crash when attempting to use that credential.
Updates to Internet Explorer 11's navigation bar with search box.
Addressed issue in Internet Explorer where undo is broken if character conversion is canceled using IME.
Addressed issue with the EMIE where Microsoft Edge and Internet Explorer repeatedly switched between each other.
Addressed issue where a device may stop responding for several minutes and then stop working with error 0x9F (SYSTEM_POWER_STATE_FAILURE) when a USB network adapter is attached.
Addressed issue where some apps cannot be opened because the IPHlpSvc service stops responding during the Windows boot procedure.
Addressed issue where spoolsv.exe stops working.
Addressed issue where the Get-AuthenticodeSignature cmdlet does not list TimeStamperCertificate even though the file is time stamped.
Addressed issue where, after upgrading to Windows 10, users may experience long delays when running applications hosted on Windows Server 2008 SP2.
Addressed RemoteApp display issues that occur when you minimize and restore a RemoteApp to full-screen mode.
Addressed issue that sometimes causes Windows File Explorer to stop responding and causes the system to stop working.
Addressed issue that causes the Export-StartLayout cmdlet to fail when exporting the layout of tiles at startup.
Addressed issue where the option to join Azure AAD is sometimes unavailable during the out-of-box experience.
Addressed issue where clicking the buttons on Windows Action Center notifications results in no action being taken.
Re-release of MS16-087- Security update for Windows print spooler components.
Security updates to Microsoft Graphics Component, Windows kernel-mode drivers, Windows shell, Microsoft Uniscribe, Microsoft Edge, Device Guard, Windows TPM, Internet Explorer, Microsoft -Scripting Engine, Windows Hyper-V, Windows kernel, and Windows Virtualization.
Old 13th September 2017, 11:51 PM   #5661
callan

Quote:
Originally Posted by looktall View Post
I don't doubt you. I'd prefer to have my license backed up anyway.
Backing up to someone else's computer is not backing it up at all: you become totally dependent on that other person's computer working when you need it to, and them letting you get it back when they deign fit to.
I'd far rather pull the license out of EFI using RWEverything and file it.

Callan

"I don't like this internet thing anymore, can we have the old version back please?" - BlueRaven
callan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2017, 7:00 PM   #5662
coolroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bold Eagle View Post
Win10 has a big update this week it was noted over at overclock.net from:

Windows 10 Patch Tuesday update 15063.608 now available for PC and Mobile
Yet still no fix for the lack of bluetooth connectivity that they broke with the creators edition update/screwup.

Still no bluetooth Microsoft admits they fucked up & suggest just to roll back.....sheesh that's more than three months ago!
Old 15th September 2017, 9:38 AM   #5663
MR CHILLED Thread Starter
D'oh!

Updated to 608 last night.....hassle free, no problems so far.
Old 15th September 2017, 10:26 AM   #5664
looktall
Working Class Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by callan View Post
Backing up to someone else's computer is not backing it up at all: you become totally dependent on that other person's computer working when you need it to, and them letting you get it back when they deign fit to.
I'd far rather pull the license out of EFI using RWEverything and file it.

Callan
i don't understand what you're talking about "backing it up to someone else's computer".

you're backing up your license for the activation service.
you install, "skip key", sign in with your MS account, it looks on the activation service for your license, activation happens.

if you can't get to the activation service then having a copy of the key won't help.
Old 15th September 2017, 10:40 AM   #5665
Bold Eagle

power has made an important thread that needs to be included here.
http://forums.overclockers.com.au/sh...3#post17663863

Topic: Got Stuttering? Blame W10 Creators.

Gist: Win10 Creators update is causing a lot of stuttering during gaming for many users across many titles - MS was initially saying BS it is you - now with the numbers stacking up they are saying woopsie it is our fault.........

Content;

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/0...uttering_bugs/