Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Other Toys/Hobbies

Notices

Old 8th August 2017, 10:15 AM   #421
Akh-Horus Thread Starter

Sounds like you are getting into it Fester

I am stoked that there are people other than myself who love pens and its associated hobbies.
[Logitech 'G' Owners Club Member #1]
OCAU Fishing Club Member #43
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgB deano View Post
I'm looking forward to polishing my new big knob
Quote:
Originally Posted by kombiman View Post
I've blown a guy at .444 and he could talk. Should have been dead but was very very well practiced
Akh-Horus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2017, 2:30 PM   #422
pelmen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
Ooh, I never thought I'd ever be able to help anyone else in this thread!
Thanks for the response, good to know its usable. I prefer all my pens to be functional, not just look good (or bad). I have two identical fine point Vanishing Points, one writes ok the other really badly, the have different inks so i havent done a proper test. Still for the price point I would expect a pen to actually write and both are miles away from the medium VP I use daily too. These new capless ones I'll have to try and hope for a more consistent experience, but wont be flush to buy for a while. My OCD wanted to build a set of pens in various colour bodies and inks to match, I need ver fine writing in multiple colours for a project of mine.
pelmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2017, 12:52 PM   #423
pelmen

Default Noodlers ghost and flex pen

Feeding my addiction my recent Goulet Pens order (not affiliated but highly recommended) included two Noodlers products I'll show here. The ink is Noodlers Blue Ghost which is an "invisible" ink. It's not noticeable under normal light but hit it with a cheap UV torch and it scream off the page bright and clear. Great for passing secret messages in class, storing ICBM missile codes on a scrap of paper in your wallet and for getting creative in your "special room". The usual stuff you know.

I also got a new pen for my collection, a Noodlers Neponset Ghostly Lapis. A marbled acrylic body in white and blue with a music nib. So I put the two together for a play, nothing serious, see photos below.

The paper is a crappy PostIt note nothing special and bad for fountain pens, it absorbs ink. This combo was a bit odd since I couldn't see the ink and had no feedback for my writing pressure. It felt smooth and wet and after my bad writing I could see ink on the paper was wet and as it dried/soaked it vanished leaving no obvious trace there was anything written there. Holding paper at angles I could just see some indentations from the nib but couldnt read or tell it was writing. The pen is very nice to hold and write with with a press plunger style filler mechanism. For a "plastic" pen it feels solid and value for money, not luxury or cheap garbage. Got another couple of noodlers in my wishlist to try out too after this, never been keen on plastic pens so been reluctant to try them.

Because the pen acrylic body is mixed from different colours and not consistently mixed you have this marbling effect and so each pen will have a unique pattern. On the noodlers site it looks purely blue and white but mine shows a lot more subtlties of pearl giving it depth (you can see bits of blue disappearing into the depths). The colours have thick and thin parts so the pattern has a pleasing variety. For pen displays I would look good. I'm certainly pleased with this "cheap plastic pen". Its better than I expected.

The Ink? Well its liquid, comes in a bottle, has a slight odour, goes in a fountain pen, um writes on paper. I'm not much of a reviewer. This is an ink you get because you want it invisible in visible light but bright and clear under ultraviolet light. It does this very well, as bright and clear as a yellow highlighter under UV and the ink itself is slightly yellow in the bottle so maybe its the same basic ink. I tried writing on other surfaces, plastic, fabric, black card. Now I can write on pretty much anything with Pilot Iroshizuku ink in my medium vanishing point and get clear unbroken legible lines. Not so with this noodlers combo. On plastic it pools in blobs on polished granite it wouldn't draw but where the tiny cracks in the granite grain it would get drawn into it. Skin was ok, material notebook binding wasn't too bad but not great where it would sit on top of ridges and get drawn broadly into crevices. More seriously paper absorption greatly effects the UV reaction, on papers where the ink sits in the surface the writing is great, but on papers that absorb easily its less noticable a bit like a street light through fog. the writing is clear and a little faint surrounded by a diffuse halo where the ink dispersed into the paper. But all my notebooks I had to hand are common cheapies, nothing special, and I wasn't looking to test, just get a quick feel and see how it wrote. The black card I tried soaked it up and was about 20% noticable under UV, not as clear as you see in the photo. but not useless.

Part of my reason for the purchase was curiosity and part was to use the ink to add ownership marks to things in case of theft. I know there are felt pens that so the same for this purpose, but....fountain pens!!!

For the dummies, my two photos below in one pic show the pad, pen and ink under normal light on the left while on the right I turned on a cheap UV torch about 50cm away and it was bright enough to see the effect clearly so I didn't bother trying to stage the shot for a review, i just wanted to take the shots for myself.

Click to view full size!
Old 7th September 2017, 1:50 PM   #424
NanoDuke

Source and cost? How does it go writing on fabrics?
Old 8th September 2017, 9:49 AM   #425
pelmen

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanoDuke View Post
Source and cost? How does it go writing on fabrics?
Source: as mentioned, Goulet Pens
Cost: look it up yourself. was way cheaper than I could find on ebay. Plus delivery is fast and Goulet pack everything awesomely.

Fabric I mentioned, i didnt do tshirts and jeans.
Old 18th September 2017, 8:32 PM   #426
Uncle Fester

Damn you Pelmen! You just cost me more money!

Click to view full size!

Noodler's Neponset, Appalachian Pearl, 3-tined musical nib.
It's much darker IRL

Click to view full size!

With Noodler's Apache Sunset ink, on cheap copy paper, the ink is red,
but look at that orange and yellow!

Cheers!

Last edited by Uncle Fester; 18th September 2017 at 8:37 PM.
Uncle Fester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2017, 8:38 AM   #427
Akh-Horus Thread Starter

Love love love that pen.
[Logitech 'G' Owners Club Member #1]
OCAU Fishing Club Member #43
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgB deano View Post
I'm looking forward to polishing my new big knob
Quote:
Originally Posted by kombiman View Post
I've blown a guy at .444 and he could talk. Should have been dead but was very very well practiced
Akh-Horus is offline   Reply With Quote