Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Software Topics > PC Games

Notices

Old Today, 12:59 PM   #796
japes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertross View Post
what are you guys using for a headset/cans? im thinking of moving to a 7.1 headset so i can pin point the enemies better.
Just get a decent set of headphones, forget 7.1. Depends what your budget is really. The soundstage in PUBG is average at best, but I'll admit its horrendous spectating friends with cheap gaming headsets have no idea where steps are.

Last edited by japes; Today at 1:02 PM.
japes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 1:00 PM   #797
Bertross

Quote:
Originally Posted by japes View Post
Just get a decent set of headphones, forget 7.1. Depends what your budget is really.
all good i use the beyerdynamics DT770 Pros already on a D1 Dac.

EVGA GTX 1080TI FTW3 | RYZEN 1700 3.9GHZ+H100I | ASUS ROG BIG HERO 6+SAMSUNG 950 PRO M.2 | 32GB CORSAIR VEN 3200 | PHANTEKS ENTHOO EVOLV TG | EVGA SUPERNNOVA 750
DELL U3415W 34" | WACOM CINTIQ 24HD | IPAD PRO 12.9"+PENCIL
Bertross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 1:01 PM   #798
japes

Quote:
all good i use the beyerdynamics DT770 Pros already on a D1 Dac.
Yeah I just read that, serves me right for responding before finishing up the page. Stick with them.
Old Today, 1:11 PM   #799
Bertross

Quote:
Originally Posted by japes View Post
Yeah I just read that, serves me right for responding before finishing up the page. Stick with them.
all good mate i noticed alot of pro player use various 7.1 headsets. I'm guessing they are still somewhat of a gimmick?

EVGA GTX 1080TI FTW3 | RYZEN 1700 3.9GHZ+H100I | ASUS ROG BIG HERO 6+SAMSUNG 950 PRO M.2 | 32GB CORSAIR VEN 3200 | PHANTEKS ENTHOO EVOLV TG | EVGA SUPERNNOVA 750
Old Today, 1:22 PM   #800
m0n4g3

Quote:
all good mate i noticed alot of pro player use various 7.1 headsets. I'm guessing they are still somewhat of a gimmick?
I use the zalman zm1 mic already. It's brilliant.
i7-5930k @ 4.0ghz with EK Supreme-HF | Asus X99 Sabertooth TUF | 2x 980TI SLI with EK CU Blocks | 16gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3000 | 256gb Samsung 840pro | Xigmatek Elysium | Danger Den Monsoon D5 Dual Res bay, Koolance PMP-450 Pump | 2x XSPC RX360 Rads with 3xScythe Slipstream 1900rpm each | 3/8" Danger Den Black UV tubing | Red Monsoon Compression fittings
m0n4g3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 1:26 PM   #801
Benno1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by walker_2003 View Post
why 97fps? very specific amount? Also what does max prerendered frames 1 do?
Saw something that recommended capping the frames 3-4fps BELOW your refresh rate when using GSync. Bit more consistant feel to it. As soon as the FPS tick to 101, GSync disables. So force it safely under 100 for best results. Also need to be careful, when over the refresh rate if settings are right VSync or Fastsync can kick in too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoPD View Post
I was curious too. There are a lot of results people setting this to 1 as well as people recommending setting it to 1 also (except for the link below), instead of the default which is letting the application handle it. I will this over this week.

http://www.tweakguides.com/NVFORCE_7.html
Pretty details video of a guy explaining tearing and input lag etc on Youtube. He compared input lag of FastSync, Vsync and GSync etc. Basically it stops the GPU rendering more frames than it needs to in the backbuffer or something along those lines. Most of my settings are to try and make it feel like it has less input lag. When I first installed and started playing it was dreadful, floaty AF. Its pretty good now. I would play with GSync OFF (as any sort of thing like that adds some input lag), but with it off I get microstuttering (good one Bluehole) and the tearing is a bit brutal. So I have it on and locked at 97, its butter smooth and not too floaty. Still needs a shitload of optimisation.

Quote:
what are you guys using for a headset/cans? im thinking of moving to a 7.1 headset so i can pin point the enemies better.
Fostex TH610 hooked up to a JDS Labs Element Dac/Amp. Its mostly a music setup (sounds very good), but use it for gaming. Open cans would be better but I don't have that luxury.

Last edited by Benno1988; Today at 1:30 PM.
Benno1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 1:30 PM   #802
japes

Quote:
Sponsors, possibly.
Old Today, 1:44 PM   #803
Bertross

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0n4g3 View Post
I use the zalman zm1 mic already. It's brilliant.
sweet mate seems like im set already LOL. Wife was complaining when i was using the swan speakers because of the gun shots!

Old Today, 3:37 PM   #804
^catalyst

Quote:
Just to re-iterate, 7.1 headsets are absolute rubbish.

Generically, for games, you want a set of open-backed cans for the soundstage. Always good to avoid anything with "gaming" written on it or made by a company that started as a PC peripherals / accessories company.

So, you've probably got one of the better setups you can have.

I'm in the process of decided on how to WC my GPU, when playing with my open backs the noise of the GPU effectively gates low volume sounds, like footsteps. But when I play with my closed backs I lose significant soundstage.
^catalyst is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 4:13 PM   #805
walker_2003

Quote:
Good sound card/DAC + Good 2.0 headphones is much better then USB powered or onboard sound driven '7.1' headphones.. My mate who has the highly recommended '7.1' Hyper-X Cloud II disables his 7.1 and find PUBG is better. But as people have said, the sound placement isn't amazing in PUBG & I think devs have acknowledged that as something they are working on.

My low\mid-range soundcard (SoundBlaster Z) sounds better with its virtual surround off.

Apparently this is a killer combo but not cheap..

https://www.pccasegear.com/sc/cUY

I think the HyperX Cloud II is a good option for budget gaming, apparently goes really well even with the 7.1 stuff turned off.. a lot of CS pro's seem to use em..

https://www.pccasegear.com/products/...dset-gun-metal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benno1988 View Post
Saw something that recommended capping the frames 3-4fps BELOW your refresh rate when using GSync. Bit more consistant feel to it. As soon as the FPS tick to 101, GSync disables. So force it safely under 100 for best results. Also need to be careful, when over the refresh rate if settings are right VSync or Fastsync can kick in too.
Why does G-Sync disable over 100fps? is that because you are on a 100hz panel?

I am on 165hz so no need to worry about going over 165fps haha..

What are you using to be so specific on fps limit? Nvidia Inspector? or in game settings?
Old Today, 4:24 PM   #806
anthonyl

I tried a plethora of headsets including 7.1 surround ones...useless! Im now using a set of AKG K612 PRO open headphones and an amp. I can thoroughly recommend them for pinpointing sound in any direction.

I found "open" headphones to be better than closed ones.
I5-4690K | EVGA 1080ti SC2 | Asus PG279Q Monitor | 8Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro | Asus Sabretooth Mk 2 Z97 | Corsair RM1000 PSU |Logitech G500..G15..Z5500 | X-Fi Titanium Fatality | Samsung 500Gb EVO SSD | | AKG -612 Pro Headphones
anthonyl is online now   Reply With Quote